Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hyundai did something similar with an Ioniq competing in the Optima ultimate street car. They put a Kona motor and lowered the final drive to 7.05. The Bolt is also 7.05 final drive. They are hitting 115mph top speed and 5.8s 0-60mph. They also installed a limited slip differential. I think it would be one of the best upgrades you could do to the Bolt.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/hyundai/2018-hyundai-ioniq-sema-ultimate-street-car-ar182509.html

What company are you working with for the coilovers and lowering springs?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Better seats would be nice, but I'm afraid the cost would be prohibitive, as they have built-in airbags. Fully reclining front seats with more comfort (including adjustable lumbar support) get my vote.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
EV-MODS will have performance lowering springs (specifically made for the bolt by a major well known manufacturer)
Performance Struts and Shocks Fitted and Verified.
Performance Coilovers Fitted and Verified.
Very interested in lowering my Bolt just to improve aerodynamics and highway efficiency. Looking at a ~1" drop, would prefer to not have a firmer ride than the Bolt already has.

18x8 and 17x8 Performance Light Weight Wheels in our 5x105 Bolt Pattern
Also in the name of efficiency would like to suggest lightweight 15x6 and 16x6 wheels.

Performance tuner available that should be able to remove speed limiter and change power delivery.
If you're poking around the ECU/BMS and can figure out a way to tweak the battery cooling system and/or add a way to limit the maximum state of charge for 2017 & 2018 Bolt's you'll really have my attention.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Very interested in lowering my Bolt just to improve aerodynamics and highway efficiency. Looking at a ~1" drop, would prefer to not have a firmer ride than the Bolt already has.

Also in the name of efficiency would like to suggest lightweight 15x6 and 16x6 wheels.

If you're poking around the ECU/BMS and can figure out a way to tweak the battery cooling system and/or add a way to limit the maximum state of charge for 2017 & 2018 Bolt's you'll really have my attention.

+1 on the last item.

·
Registered
928 Posts
I'm tempted to get four 15x4 drag front wheels, run them tucked in as far as possible into the wheel wells. I don't think there is any beating that on range. If you've seen the types of cars and tires that are successfully run on this width of wheel, you will know they work fine with heavy cars and fairly wide tires. There are narrow 17's available also if that floats one's boat.

Handling, litigation in the case of an accident, those are two valid concerns. In any case, I'm not in any rush to blow $800 to find out how well it would work.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I'm tempted to get four 15x4 drag front wheels, run them tucked in as far as possible into the wheel wells. I don't think there is any beating that on range. If you've seen the types of cars and tires that are successfully run on this width of wheel, you will know they work fine with heavy cars and fairly wide tires. There are narrow 17's available also if that floats one's boat.

Handling, litigation in the case of an accident, those are two valid concerns. In any case, I'm not in any rush to blow $800 to find out how well it would work.

If that's anywhere near a four inch-wide tire, I'd avoid it. The tires on the EV-1 were about four inches wide. They went straight ahead like a bat outta he||, but cornered at speed like a...well, let's just say they didn't...:eek:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Right liability alone is enough to stop me trying it. But handling is a close 2nd on worry. I've seen guys run anywhere from like 145 to 205 on a 4" wheel. Or some use a 5. The good thing about a 15" diameter is, it has more sidewall width for angling out from a narrow wheel to a wider tread than does say a 17 with a shorter sidewall. You should be able to safely run a 195 or 205 on a skinny 15. I mean safely as far as not worrying about losing a tire off the wheel. Cornering and lawyers is a different story.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I am friends with those guys. I am racing the same series. They are not competing this year.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
A few updates: Videos coming soon.

I upgraded tires to 245/45/17 Falken Azenis 615K+ to regain max top speed. They barely fit with the 1.5" drop and rub a little on full lock. I have lost about 10% Range with the big fat tires; however I will switch back to stock for Daily Driving.

I am taking delivery of Koni Yellow Struts and Shocks I think will fit (ETA 2/19/19)
I have a 6 piston 304mm Big Brake Kit in route. (ETA 2/25/19)
I have ordered a rear sway bar that I think will fit installing 2/20/19.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Good thread with lots of interesting stuff.

One mod I did early on that helped performance (efficiency and acceleration at higher speeds) was reducing drag by completely modifying the underbody to make it completely smooth and cover up that huge rear parachute area under the hatch... It's held up to multiple top speed runs and its also held up through some horrible winter conditions which is a testament to its robustness.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N62yBC8DKugCN8Un7

Lots of info in this thread: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/8714-improving-drag-lowering-under-car-aero.html

Going to lighter wheel/tires was another one that helped acceleration and efficiency, but can hurt lateral accelration. However larger/wider isn't always better for lateral g's. I had posted acceleration data in another thread when doing those modifications. But here's an even better comparison of wheel/tire affects on acceleration, handling and mpg's: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15130598/upsized-wheels-tires/

·
Registered
630 Posts
Even for spirited driving on public roads, I think the Bolt badly needs a rear sway bar, and I'll order one as soon as I can get one that fits well.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts