Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Good thread with lots of interesting stuff.

One mod I did early on that helped performance (efficiency and acceleration at higher speeds) was reducing drag by completely modifying the underbody to make it completely smooth and cover up that huge rear parachute area under the hatch... It's held up to multiple top speed runs and its also held up through some horrible winter conditions which is a testament to its robustness.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/N62yBC8DKugCN8Un7

Lots of info in this thread: https://www.chevybolt.org/forum/12-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/8714-improving-drag-lowering-under-car-aero.html

Going to lighter wheel/tires was another one that helped acceleration and efficiency, but can hurt lateral accelration. However larger/wider isn't always better for lateral g's. I had posted acceleration data in another thread when doing those modifications. But here's an even better comparison of wheel/tire affects on acceleration, handling and mpg's: https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a15130598/upsized-wheels-tires/
I am planning to do the same to my Bolt using 1/8 inch ABS and would appreciate any additional specific information you think would be helpful.

·
Registered
22 Posts
In addition to performance mods I'd be interested in firmware tweaks, like defaulting to L instead of D when doing your first shift.

·
Registered
50 Posts
How are those performance tweaks coming along? Don't see much recent activity in this thread, but my interest is piqued!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm glad to hear that aftermarket companies are starting to develop performance products for the Bolt. I think it is a great platform that can be easily improved or personalized.

About lightweight wheels. Fast wheels makes a great model called FC04. I have them on my Volt. They are flow formed and are very light and strong. 17x8 et45 are 16.2 lbs. 18x8 are around 18 lbs.
They make them with the Bolt pattern. They are not expensive. They actually use this model for their race cars.

Also I like your background picture on your website. I like the rear spoiler. It makes it look more sporty as it elongates the side profile of the car.
The drop totally changes the look. I would actually like to see performance air suspension from airlift. Its more expensive, but really makes it versatile. You can raise or lower how you want and also make it stiffer or buttery smooth.

Can't wait to see what's coming for the Bolt. I'm thinking of buying one maybe next year. I went to see the model 3 the other day. It's a nice car, but too big for me and lots of little things I don't like about it. I don't really like sedans. Prefer hatch. Hopefully GM comes out with a wilder Bolt with AWD. hopefully...
Where is
that spoiler from on the red EV?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any updates on this thread? I'd like to see the performance quest continue. With the low CG of this car (yay, batteries in the floor!), it seems like a really cool platform for an EV hotrod of sorts. I'm surprised there isn't a bigger commuity of EV modders out there, selling bolt-on motors and what not. I guess it's hard with all of the computer-controlled everything. ¯\(ツ)

41 - 45 of 45 Posts