Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone else has had their radio cut out while playing?
I have the 14.1 radio, as in no updating.

But I get the radio cutting out here and there. No rhyme or reason .

NOT SIRIUS Radio, regular radio.

Noticed it more the other day when I was doing yard work and had the car radio on for tunes. Which BTW cuts off around 2 hour mark.

I thought maybe my phone was connecting or something but nope.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Can't say I've had those symptoms, but I have noticed FM reception is a little weak - I'll get static-y reception. Sounds like what I'd get if I tried listening to a channel from the neighboring city.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I live in a mountainous region where radio signals have a hard time getting to the radio without a good antenna.

The Bolt does not have a great antenna, my base LT doesn't have Bose sound, but my Mazda Miata does, I can pull stations way better in the Mazda than I can in the Bolt.

My Mazda has an stubby antenna on the back fender I think an external regular 32" antenna is all you need for decent radio reception.

The shark fin on the roof might be good for something but it isn't good for FM radio reception, I might look into changing the shark fin for a stubby antenna I have a low garage my car is going to go into for the summer so my antenna can't be over about 10" in height.

With your car parked in one spot it should not have a problem holding a station, I think you have to see about rebooting the radio, at that time they may want to remove the radio portion which could be located anywhere in the car.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Agree with @beeguz - I think it might be the subpar antenna. I've had this symptom on both FM and Sirius, most noticeably when going through tunnels, and, believe it or not, even driving through a highway underpass.

·
Registered
624 Posts
do you mean it only cut out at the 2 hr mark? i think that's as long as the car will stay on, and then you have to turn it on again. or did it cut out multiple times before the two hour mark?

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
The Bolt shuts itself off after two hours of sitting. You can circumvent this problem by starting it, setting the parking brake, put it into neutral, and climb out the passenger door.

This is the same thing you do when using the Bolt as an emergency power source, and want the vehicle to remain on, so it can power the DC-DC converter for the aux battery.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@GregBrew , Yeah I remembered that, just didn't want to crawl out ;)

I have had issues with Sirius when it was free, just thought it was reception thing. But I have never had any issues with FM stations in other cars.
This not only happened this time, but occasionally here and there while driving.. open no underpass roads.

I guess I will have to have them pull it :( more on the list.
But I am glad I am not the only one.

BTW, I have been "rebooting' the radio many many times trying to fix Waze and radio freeze. Yes I need the update. But I am afraid they will steal my car.... I also have the battery replacement recall listed. And unless they are going to give me a BOLT as a loaner I am not bringing it in :p

·
Registered
315 Posts
I had free XM on a few GM trucks I live in Pa we have a fair amount of mountains and hilly terrain.

The folks at XM tell me this was impossible, I said if its impossible how come my truck radio looses signal?

No one had an answer, I'm not pleased with the FM signal I will be looking into removing the thing that is suppose to be an antenna, then replacing it with a short antenna.

I don't think its going to be much different, my Buick and the Chevy vehicles before my Bolt had small antennas the reception wasn't much better.

I think GM is building a poor radio, my Miata (is a 2017 RF) radio blows this one out of the water, it does struggle in the really bad spots but I don't think its as bad as the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I had free XM on a few GM trucks I live in Pa we have a fair amount of mountains and hilly terrain.

The folks at XM tell me this was impossible, I said if its impossible how come my truck radio looses signal?

No one had an answer, I'm not pleased with the FM signal I will be looking into removing the thing that is suppose to be an antenna, then replacing it with a short antenna.

I don't think its going to be much different, my Buick and the Chevy vehicles before my Bolt had small antennas the reception wasn't much better.

I think GM is building a poor radio, my Miata (is a 2017 RF) radio blows this one out of the water, it does struggle in the really bad spots but I don't think its as bad as the Bolt.
To add to this, I forgot to mention in my previous post that I immediately lose reception as soon as I pull into our garage. As soon as the Bolt's butt (where the fin antenna is) pops out of the garage, the radio starts kicking in. We're in suburban MD, not exactly in mountainous or hilly terrain.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.