Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I while back, I posted about my infotainment system not functioning. The screen worked but it would always freeze at the "Bolt EV" logo. I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer so they could evaluate the problem. $300 later they told me that the radio module was bad and needed to be replaced. The initial quote was for $2400 (above and beyond the $300 evaluation fee) but they contacted GM Assistance and they offered to bring it down to $1300. BTW, the warranty has expired. That still seemed high so I looked for alternatives. I found a supposedly new radio module on eBay for $85 so I decided to fix it myself. Although the radio module lives behind the glovebox, it can only be removed upward, requiring the entire dashboard to be removed. With the help of the GM service manual, I tackled the job and eventually got the radio module replaced. The system now works but it seems like there is some radio module specific programming or updating that needs to be done. The screen now has buttons to control heated seats, an option my car does not have, and when I plug my phone into the USB, it will treat it as an iPod but it won't activate CarPlay. It seems like my options are to get a GDS2 adapter and attempt the programming myself or pay the dealer more money to do it for me. Does anyone have GDS2 programming experience? Is this something I should try to do myself or take the safe route and pay the dealer more money?

I've attached a picture of the car with the dash out for your enjoyment.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
81 Posts
I while back, I posted about my infotainment system not functioning. The screen worked but it would always freeze at the "Bolt EV" logo. I bit the bullet and took it to the dealer so they could evaluate the problem. $300 later they told me that the radio module was bad and needed to be replaced. The initial quote was for $2400 (above and beyond the $300 evaluation fee) but they contacted GM Assistance and they offered to bring it down to $1300. BTW, the warranty has expired. That still seemed high so I looked for alternatives. I found a supposedly new radio module on eBay for $85 so I decided to fix it myself. Although the radio module lives behind the glovebox, it can only be removed upward, requiring the entire dashboard to be removed. With the help of the GM service manual, I tackled the job and eventually got the radio module replaced. The system now works but it seems like there is some radio module specific programming or updating that needs to be done. The screen now has buttons to control heated seats, an option my car does not have, and when I plug my phone into the USB, it will treat it as an iPod but it won't activate CarPlay. It seems like my options are to get a GDS2 adapter and attempt the programming myself or pay the dealer more money to do it for me. Does anyone have GDS2 programming experience? Is this something I should try to do myself or take the safe route and pay the dealer more money?

I've attached a picture of the car with the dash out for your enjoyment.

View attachment 45253
Lol. It was at this point in time that you realized paying the dealer the $1300 wasn’t so bad after all

·
Registered
161 Posts
I can only wish you luck. Before my Bolt, I had a 2015 Audi where the MMI unit was bad. I went your route and found one from a salvaged Audi that matched mine but was told by the dealer that they are VIN locked and it needed to be assigned to my car using software from the dealer. The end result was that they were unwilling to perfom this task for me but did offer to sell me a new one for 2k. I even showed that this came from a salvaged vehicle but they wouldn't budge. Not sure if that's the case for you though but I can relate and share in your frustration.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow. That's a lot of work for what should be a simple task.

As far as I know there isn't a GM equivalent but for my Ford's I have a program called Forscan that lets you program modules. I used it for exactly what you need.

When I put a new factory radio in my wife's Cavalier way back when the Chevy dealer didn't even ask where I got the radio from. They just just did it and changed for 1/3 of an hour of labor.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,499 Posts
Are there any aftermarket car stereo shops near you? Might they have the necessary tools / software?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Isn't there a few usb settings in advanced settings like (I forget exactly) plug and play or plug and auto launch AA or carplay?
I've checked all those and it seems like the configuration should allow CarPlay to work. That's what makes me think it's a software/update issue with the module. Perhaps the other components have gotten all the updates and the radio module has not.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Bravo! Impressive.. so far would you do it again given the same circumstances?..

I too am on the fence about buying gds2 equipment. Wish I knew someone in the area(northern Utah) that was in the same boat.

Has anyone seen any resources on YouTube for this sort of thing?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bravo! Impressive.. so far would you do it again given the same circumstances?..

I too am on the fence about buying gds2 equipment. Wish I knew someone in the area(northern Utah) that was in the same boat.

I'm still glad I did the install myself but I still have to factor in the cost to get the module updated. Quote from dealer 1 for updating the module calibration was $265. Looking at alternatives including getting an adapter myself. I've watched a few YouTube videos about GDS2 and GM MDI modules. Still more research to be done.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Launch edition "arrived"
159 Posts

Impressed is an understatement! I started into a heater core replacement on my sons Dodge pickup once. I got about an hour into it and decided to put it back together, sell it, and buy him another truck. Removing a dash is worse than getting dental work done!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts