Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
If it’s a Premier, there’s an amp and a Bose sub in the spare tire well. Check to make sure there’s no water in that well. My 2017 had the radio cut out for 1/2 second to many minutes at times over the past few weeks. Even the turn signal clicker was silent, and there was a static sound coming from the LF door speaker. Radio output would occasionally function. I opened it up today, and found about 3 quarts of H2O in there. I’m drying it out - hopefully it didn’t kill it! Perhaps all Premier owners, at a minimum, should take a look back there?
I’m having almost this exact issue. The only difference is that mine started three weeks ago and hasn’t worked not one moment sense. Come to think of it, it started the night after a heavy rain. But how the **** is water gettingin the trunk!!

· Registered
657 Posts
If it’s a Premier, there’s an amp and a Bose sub in the spare tire well. Check to make sure there’s no water in that well. My 2017 had the radio cut out for 1/2 second to many minutes at times over the past few weeks. Even the turn signal clicker was silent, and there was a static sound coming from the LF door speaker. Radio output would occasionally function. I opened it up today, and found about 3 quarts of H2O in there. I’m drying it out - hopefully it didn’t kill it! Perhaps all Premier owners, at a minimum, should take a look back there?
Out of desperation because my info touch screen doesn't respond to touch on start up during wet weather, I opened up the sub tire well with its Bose sub. In my case it was dry as a bone in there. But it was worth a shot. My other issue is the button lock release outside on the driver side door handle has stopped working in the rainy weather two winters in a row. Last summer, after a long road trip through some dry warm air, it started to work. As the atmospheric rivers pounded Berkeley in December 2022, it first took more force to activate the door open and now it has stopped working. For that, it is easy enough to hit the back door button. The untouchable touch screen, that has become a constant and significant irritation. Yes after 5 or 10 minutes on, it can sometimes be made to work with the two finger salute. Most likely the touch screen itself. The cost under $200, but I am guessing the dealer will multiply cost by 10 to install a replacement.

· Registered
3 Posts
This is a manufacturer's defect and a safety issue in my opinion as turn signal sounds and safety alerts don't work when the amplifier is shorted out. The amp went out in my 2019 Bolt and I found the wheel well full of water and corrosion on the amp. Chevy Canada says it is out of warranty and will offer me a 25% service discount only. More people should report this as a safety defect.
In Canada: Report a potential safety defect of vehicles, tires and child car seats
In the USA: Report a Safety Problem | NHTSA

· Registered
2 Posts
I picked up a 2020 Bolt Premier yesterday and after reading about this topic a few days ago, I decided to check out the trunk area before signing the papers. There was a bit of water (tablespoon maybe) around the amp but I purchased the vehicle anyways. Too good of a deal to pass up. It was a CA car then a TX car so its probably had a dry life and there didn't appear to be water lines like it was a common occurrence.
Anyways, I brought the vehicle home, removed all of the stuff in the trunk and lined the "spare tire well" with shop towels. Luckily it was pouring rain today so I ran some errands for about 30-40mins (with everything back in the trunk to simulate the previous setup) and found that water is leaking down from the rear bumper side of the trunk wall. Since I'm still under warranty, I'll be taking it in to have it checked out before I start ripping apart the interior.

You can see the wet towel and two streaks of water on the oem body "sealant" (?). So that plastic trim at the top is the bottom of hatch opening. The camera is over the sub box and aimed towards the rear of the car.
Automotive tire Rectangle Textile Sleeve Gesture

· Registered
2 Posts
UPDATE: I pick up my 2020 Bolt tomorrow which was at the dealer to solve the leak issue. They said it was a bad hatch door seal and they found exactly where it was leaking in. I will see if I can get more details from the tech as to if the seal itself is defective or if the problem may arise again with a new seal (mating surface defect?).

21 - 26 of 26 Posts