Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Bolt manual lists a fuse for the rain sensor, but I can't find any mention of rain sensing wipers elsewhere, which is unfortunate as it's the rainy season here in Northern California. I couldn't seem to find any rain sensing functionality during my test drive, and don't see it anywhere on their website in terms of available features.

Was this functionality pulled or maybe this is just a typo (or standard fuse location)?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
They did say that the car may not be equipped with all of the fuses, relays and features shown. I'm guessing the rain sensor is one of them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Think they have left the rain/speed sensitive windshield wipers and ACC off this years model to have some easy, new whizbang features for a 2018 refresh?

I know that model years typically go longer than 1 year, but if they have some features they can market as the Model 3 starts getting ready to launch, it seems like these might be easy to implement.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
I had rain-sensing wipers on the leased C-Max Energi I had for a couple of years. It was handy when it worked, but a lot of the time it either didn't wipe often enough, or wiped too often. I found it sorta annoying that it wouldn't wipe when I thought it should wipe. So no biggie the Bolt doesn't have it. I'm fine with the intermittent setting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah, I have had a couple of cars with this "feature". There is a dime-sized sensor on the inside of the windshield at the rear view mirror mount location. Whatever happens on that dime controls the wipers. If it is raining lightly and that dime does not get a drop on it - the wipers do not come on.

In medium to heavy rain it works great, but in mist/light rain it is hit and miss. Luckily you can usually disable it and just use intermittent (timed) wiping.

·
Registered
85 Posts
The rain controlled sensors on the Tesla don't work well either. A feature that doesn't work is worse than not having it at all.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The rain controlled sensors on the Tesla don't work well either. A feature that doesn't work is worse than not having it at all.
I agree. Having something that doesn't work well would make me upset consistently throughout ownership, rather than being sort of bothered that I don't have it for a very limited time at the beginning.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Of course it all depends on the implementation of the feature. But the *possibility* that it won't work well doesn't mean it couldn't be a useful feature for the initial audience of the car (a tech savvy west-northwest audience in OR-CA), or need to be added later. Works great in our Audi once you're used to it. If it were thought out well by a team outside Detroit, it would at least be a premier feature for that significant price premium. Lots of things that don't cost much in volume could have been done and weren't, and probably should have been done on the premier at least. Instead of bad mouse hide and fake chrome. That is, if GM weren't so focused on fake chrome as a way to fancify instead of actual content. And they wonder why Hyundai and Kia have taken so much of their market share. "But the batteries are expensive.." is only going to cut it for so long moving toward mass market implementation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's just another one of those things.

It's not that rain-sensing wipers don't require an occasional adjustment, they just necessitate far fewer adjustments than the regular intermittent plus two speed wipers.

Once you've had an electrochroamatic dimming driver's door mirror, you miss it every time you are blinded by an approaching car on your left at night.

And once you've had adaptive cruise control, you realize why you've never used cruise control on you other cars over the past twenty five years.

(Yes, guilty! I'd like to see these three features over low speed collision avoidance or lane departure warning or anything else that is disruptive with false positive intrusions.)

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I agree that there should have been ACC... would have been drastically more useful I think than "lane departure warning"... I think that's just really unnecessary.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Every car I've owned that had rain sensing wipers was a disaster. They never worked properly. They were either wiping a dry windshield, going nuts for the slightest bit of rain or would never work at all. I would have taken that tech out of those vehicles if I could. So no big loss here if the Bolt doesn't have them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Every car I've owned that had rain sensing wipers was a disaster. They never worked properly. They were either wiping a dry windshield, going nuts for the slightest bit of rain or would never work at all. I would have taken that tech out of those vehicles if I could. So no big loss here if the Bolt doesn't have them.
Were these on the Jaguar or Land Rover?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
BMW rain sensing wipers are no better... we have them on our 330i.
Very disapointing to say the least.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Note that if you look in on-line GM parts stores for 2017 Bolt parts, there are windshields and wiper control levers for the rain sensing feature. Seems like they originally wanted to offer that feature, had parts designed and cataloged for it, but then removed availability relatively late before the car went on sale.

·
Registered
226 Posts
My 2000 BMW 540i rain sensors operated just perfectly for the 19 years I had it, with ccasional wipes just at the right time. It's been quite rainy since I got the Bolt, and I miss that feature. I was surprised when I realized it didn't have it, given how big and obtrusive the camera/sensor housing is behind the rear view mirror.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts