Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a charging issue - not related to the bolt only, it happens with the volt too -

clipper creek charger CS40
has happened with volt and bolt

sometimes the charger kicks into fault - 3 blinks - and I have to disconnect power and restart the charge

this happens almost always when I plug it in to charge while my car is locked - right away - but then sometimes after a couple of hours of charging - any ideas?

clipper creek has replaced my charger and it is still happening ...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Not sure if it's the Bolt or the EVSE. I've heard of this problem in the Volt too, someone figured out that the latch was not properly seated on the car connection. Not sure if this is the case with the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
If it happened with the Bolt and the Volt, it's not going to be the Bolt...

I would call clipper creek back and see if they have any ideas on that situation. That's a bit odd

·
Registered
24 Posts
Is the Clipper Creek CS40 new or is it a few years old?

I'm not sure if this is in any way related, but our Schneider Electric EVLink units from 2012 originally had a 5 mA GFCI protection circuit which worked fine for a 2011 Think City EV and a 2015 Chevy Volt but was a problem for a 2017 Volt. Scheneider sent us new circuit boards to upgrade the CFCI protection to 20 mA which is the newer EVSE standard.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the Clipper Creek CS40 new or is it a few years old?

I'm not sure if this is in any way related, but our Schneider Electric EVLink units from 2012 originally had a 5 mA GFCI protection circuit which worked fine for a 2011 Think City EV and a 2015 Chevy Volt but was a problem for a 2017 Volt. Scheneider sent us new circuit boards to upgrade the CFCI protection to 20 mA which is the newer EVSE standard.

it is a "new"? unit. clipper creek replaced my original unit when it first started happening. it's still happening with the new unit ... I will call clipper creek when I have time ... it's just odd as there is no way of predicting when it occurs ...

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Chances of two clipper creek EVSE units not working are pretty slim, so could this be a widespread problem that would become more noticeable over time?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chances of two clipper creek EVSE units not working are pretty slim, so could this be a widespread problem that would become more noticeable over time?

could it be related to my power grid or my home power grid? I've been very busy I will call clipper creek when I get a chance ...

·
Registered
544 Posts
I am curious to hear your results from Clipper Creek. I have the same EVSE as you and I have had it kick into power fault three times now. I can't figure a reason why either.

It has never power faulted during a charge yet, just right when I plug it in. I reset the breaker for the EVSE and then try again and it always seems to charge fine the second attempt.

·
Registered
544 Posts
could it be related to my power grid or my home power grid? I've been very busy I will call clipper creek when I get a chance ...
So since I have the same EVSE and I posted last night I have been doing some research to see what is going on. Everything I have found seems to point to the ground fault protection in this Clipper Creek being very sensitive to electrical noise, most the culprits I have found seem to be high drawing small appliances, keurigs, cuisinarts, blenders, etc.

The best solution I can find seems to be isolating it to its own circuit with a dedicated ground, not exactly a cheap option unless you already have a circuit setup for that.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If it's clipper creek being a bit touchy, then it may be cheaper to just get another charging unit than isolating it to its own circuit (no idea how much that would cost). Unless you make sure to charge when everyone is asleep and won't be using any small appliances while you charge.

·
Registered
862 Posts
So since I have the same EVSE and I posted last night I have been doing some research to see what is going on. Everything I have found seems to point to the ground fault protection in this Clipper Creek being very sensitive to electrical noise, most the culprits I have found seem to be high drawing small appliances, keurigs, cuisinarts, blenders, etc.

The best solution I can find seems to be isolating it to its own circuit with a dedicated ground, not exactly a cheap option unless you already have a circuit setup for that.
You get 240V from two 120 V lines that are 180 degrees out of sync (think of it as +120 and -120, the difference is 240V).
A GFCI uses a torrid transformer installed on the "hot" wires to sense total current on the circuit. Any leakage to ground will cause the GFCI to trip.
The high current draw on one of the 120v legs is causing enough imbalance to trip the GFCI. It could be, as stated above, that the Clipper Creek is overly sensitive (some voltage drop is inevitable - ever notice the lights dim when you start a vacuum cleaner?).
It is also possible you have other wiring issues that lead to excess current drop. If all your "high load" 120v circuits are stacked on one leg, then that leg will be more susceptible to voltage drop.
In your breaker box, the legs are staggered - every other slot is on a different leg. A 240V breaker installed in the box will have one from each leg.
If all your heavy loads are biased toward one of the legs, moving a few breakers could help mitigate the issue. Current code require two separate "appliance" circuits in the kitchen (on opposing legs). They should be wired out so the physical plugs are used equally (if one circuit is only on the island and in the corners, it is likely to be used less).

The GFCI does not measure the ground or any "noise" on it. If the ground wire were run thru the torrid, any "leakage" to the ground would not trip the GFCI (the "sum" of voltages would stay the same). I doubt a new ground wire would solve your issue as it is not used by the GFCI.

It's possible to measure the voltage (and any drop) on the individual legs. You should be able to report those numbers to Clipper Creek and see if the GFCI is overly sensitive and needs to be upgraded.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
The Clipper Creek should be on it's own dedicated circuit to begin with. If it isn't, then you've got far worse problems lurking...

·
Registered
544 Posts
The Clipper Creek should be on it's own dedicated circuit to begin with. If it isn't, then you've got far worse problems lurking...

It is of course on it's own circuit. What I had read as a possible solution was having it on its own circuit with it's own dedicated ground, not the ground from the box. Though from what ducrider posted above it sounds like that wouldn't work anyways. Of course this is all stuff I am reading on other forums as I am no electrician myself.

Attached is a picture of the box it is coming from (i have two boxes in my house)

Looking at it though, it does have multiple high draw things in the box, AC, Dryers

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts