Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Bolt soon. I liked my Volt (RIP) well enough that I would like a Bolt. It's well within my commute range and my local mountain biking trips. I'm wondering about summer trips from Los Gatos, CA to Tahoe City. It looks like Charge Point has a CCS station in Auburn, but I'm wondering about the 7000' climb on I80 to Donner Pass. Any thoughts on this trip?

-Tim

·
Registered
506 Posts
I'm pretty sure I'll be buying a Bolt soon. I liked my Volt (RIP) well enough that I would like a Bolt. It's well within my commute range and my local mountain biking trips. I'm wondering about summer trips from Los Gatos, CA to Tahoe City. It looks like Charge Point has a CCS station in Auburn, but I'm wondering about the 7000' climb on I80 to Donner Pass. Any thoughts on this trip?

-Tim
Goggle says it is 222 miles. I guess you can make it from Donner Pass to Los Gatos with a full charge, but definitely not the other way around. I know going down from 900 ft to 200 ft adds about 10 miles in range in my Bolt. So an off the wall guess is that 0 to 7000 ft would cost a hundred miles of range, not counting the actual mileage. I expect if you were fully charged in Auburn in the summer time, you could make it to the the top of Donner.

So to lift a 3500 lb car 7000 ft with perfect efficiency calculates out to be 9.2 kWh. At 3.8 miles per kWh at means a loss of 35.1 miles, not counting the power used the cover the miles. If I assume 80% efficiency this would be a range cost of 44 miles. Auburn to Donner is 60 miles so this highly simplified approach say if you have 104 miles of range leaving Auburn on a warm day, you could make it to Donner Pass. OK, Auburn is at 1220 ft so that is even easier.

So, charge up in Auburn and I predict you should make it up the Sierras. Actual results may very and no guarantees. I think an experimental approach would be more accurate. I am sure someone has tried it.
:nerd:

·
Registered
124 Posts
I have to make the trip up to Tahoe from Oakland this summer... so be sure to let us know how this goes in actuality! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
If you don't mind stopping for an hour, assuming the station is available and working, you will have no issues. If the station doesn't work, or you get there just after somebody else stops for an hour, then you will have issues.

Ed

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
C'mon people - there are already multiple DCFC choices in Sac and after to get a quick boost (including the already-stated Auburn). If you don't want to use EVgo (Auburn), downtown Sac has Greenpoint DCFCs, as does Citrus Heights (right off I-80). And there should be even more non-EVgo sites soon (Auburn, Colfax, Dutch Flat, Cisco, ...).

Those are fine for the way up or back. Getting back to Los Gatos there's a 50 kW DCFC just off I-680 in Danville (50 mi short of Los Gatos) if the OP doesn't think s/he can make it all the way back to LG, or just wants a quick 'sanity charge' for peace of mind.

Heading to Tahoe from the Bay Area is already no problem with a Bolt: there are *multiple* charging spots.

·
Registered
322 Posts
A reasonable planning number for gaining elevation is that it will use an extra 1.5 kWh per 1000'. So the climb from near sea level over the Donner Pass might take an extra 10 kWh or 17% of the battery. At highway speeds, that's equivalent to about an extra 35 miles of range.

Since it's 80 miles from Auburn to Tahoe City, if you stop at Auburn, then recharge to 115 miles range plus whatever margin you'd like on top of that. The first time you do it, I'd charge to at least the 24kW step down, which comes around 70% SoC.

Driving from Los Gatos to Auburn is about 157 miles and might drain a full battery to 25% SoC. Recharging from 25% to 70% should take about 40 minutes in Auburn.

This link might be handy for understanding the elevation profiles for trips like this: https://www.doogal.co.uk/routeelevation.php

·
Registered
506 Posts
A reasonable planning number for gaining elevation is that it will use an extra 1.5 kWh per 1000'. So the climb from near sea level over the Donner Pass might take an extra 10 kWh or 17% of the battery. At highway speeds, that's equivalent to about an extra 35 miles of range.

Since it's 80 miles from Auburn to Tahoe City, if you stop at Auburn, then recharge to 115 miles range plus whatever margin you'd like on top of that. The first time you do it, I'd charge to at least the 24kW step down, which comes around 70% SoC.

Driving from Los Gatos to Auburn is about 157 miles and might drain a full battery to 25% SoC. Recharging from 25% to 70% should take about 40 minutes in Auburn.

This link might be handy for understanding the elevation profiles for trips like this: https://www.doogal.co.uk/routeelevation.php
Your 1.5 kWh per thousand is pretty close to my back of the envelope calculation of 9.8 kWh for 7000 feet up above. Of course if you are carrying 4 200 pounders, it would be higher.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts