Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
  • Hey Guest, welcome to ChevyBolt.org. We encourage you to register to engage in conversations about your Bolt.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Has any 2017 LT owner observed this -- loss of range as weather warms up? Our 2017 LT has the recall update. It has a mileage of around 39,000. Through out winter, rain, and cold in California, GOM consistently shows 230's miles in range with an efficiency of 4.5 mi/kWh at "full charge". Heat is not used, tires are at 41 psi -- as frequently mentioned by other efficiency discussions.
But suddenly, starting late last week, with no change in tire pressure, driving habit, heating usage, or route change, the GOM now display 210's miles in range at "full charge". Efficiency is still showing 4.5 to 4.6 mi/kWh.
Is the battery dying or some cells just went belly up? Or is this LT one of those combustible one? If cells has died, would the charge bars on the left still show one less than max? I just don't know enough or find enough in other discussions to know how to start isolating and identifying this sudden loss of 20 miles on the GOM. I appreciate any advises and suggestions in trying to troubleshoot this. Thank you!

Sincerely,
nogasdriving
p.s. This is a used LT acquired late last year. The GOM has been showing 230's miles at "full charge" since leaving the dealership. 95% of the time it has been charged at Level 1, 5% of the time at Level 2. It has never been Fast Charged since acquisition from the dealership.

· Registered
6,829 Posts
I appreciate any advises and suggestions in trying to troubleshoot this.
getting an OBD2 port reader would be a good start to self evaluate your battery.

I know if I turn my AC on my GOM will drop by 20 miles. The other thing is to check your auto defrost setting as it can turn the AC on without your knowledge if you have had recent rain with higher humidity.

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
getting an OBD2 port reader would be a good start to self evaluate your battery.

I know if I turn my AC on my GOM will drop by 20 miles. The other thing is to check your auto defrost setting as it can turn the AC on without your knowledge if you have had recent rain with higher humidity.
Hi XJ12,
Thank you for the link. I got an ODB2 BT reader coming. In the meantime, I got a lot of reading to do in that 60 page of discussion.
No, auto defrost is not set. I did use the Max defog a few times during the rain. However, the last time Max defog was used was weeks before the sudden loss of 20 miles on the GOM.

Sincerely,
nogasdriving

· Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree. Get Torque Pro and an OBD2 BT reader (they're like $20 on Amazon). Less range in warmer weather is counterintuitive and it's not good if your range is dropping while still getting the same mi/kWH.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Thank you for affirming that my order of the OBD2 reader is the right thing to do. That lost of range on the GOM with the same mi/kWh went against everything I have read in all the discussion on this forum. That is why I post to ask for advise. Will post update when I've received the OBD2 reader and got Torque Pro reading the car. Thank you for your input!

Sincerely,
nogasddriving

· Registered
1,888 Posts
Hi Mike,
Thank you for affirming that my order of the OBD2 reader is the right thing to do. That lost of range on the GOM with the same mi/kWh went against everything I have read in all the discussion on this forum. That is why I post to ask for advise. Will post update when I've received the OBD2 reader and got Torque Pro reading the car. Thank you for your input!

Sincerely,
nogasddriving
Once you get the OBD2 reader and Torque Pro, you're gonna want to "log" the voltage for all 96 cells. They should all be less than .03V from each other.

Mike

· Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
5,669 Posts
Along these lines, I saw some article that had showed Torque Pro on the Bolt's screen. Can we add app's to the Bolt?
There's a 3rd party app you can purchase that supposedly makes Torque Pro available through Android Auto. However, recent updates to Android Auto have made it more difficult for these types of 3rd party apps to function correctly, so pursue at your own risk.

There's also apparently a beta version of A Better RoutePlanner (ABRP) that can be used with Android Auto, and ABRP can connect with Torque Pro. It won't display the dials from Torque Pro, but it will incorporate the data into the routing / mapping in ABRP.

· Registered
46 Posts
I’m thinking that what you are considering winter driving is what your bolt considers ideal conditions. Check your climate score, and see what it tells you. For comparison I average 3.0 m/kWh during the winter in Utah.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.