Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple of weeks ago I noticed that range after a full charge (not hilltop) was ~75 miles. Took it in to the dealer. Dealers says that's normal - per GM.
Called GM, <geologic timescales later>, they essentially said "huh."

This morning after a full charge the range was 3 miles. Called roadside assistance and had them flat bed it to a different dealer. Apparently they have one Bolt tech and he's busy so I expect it'll be a few days 'til I hear anything.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad battery. It's rare, but has happened to others. Fortunately, it's under warranty unless you have >100k miles.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah. That's my guess - bad battery. Kinda wish the first tech to look at the car was either better trained or more competent. A good tech never would have returned the car to a customer in such a degraded state.
I understand why people get frustrated with dealers. The Bolt was my first new car purchase ever. And my first GM purchase. At this rate it might be my last. Here's the timeline:
  • Make the service appointment with the note about 75 mile range.
  • Drop the car off the day before and verify complaint about range (in person).
  • Get a text from the service dept the next afternoon saying car is ready - no trouble found (no DTC's) - range reduction normal according to GM.
  • Text back saying that seems unlikely.
  • Go to pick up car and ask to speak to someone about my car.
  • Am directed around the corner... to the cashier.
  • Frustratingly, in the checkout packet the dealer handed me, the tech included service bulletin #19-NA-210 (Diagnostic Aid - EV Range Loss on Bolt EV - Oct 13, 2019) which if followed would likely have lead to a positive outcome.
  • Contact GM that night to see if they have any suggestions. I was hoping they would know of a dealership with trained techs.
  • Play phone tag with GM for a week for them to tell me they'll contact the dealer
  • 2½ weeks later they respond with "we have no suggestions - we have no idea of the training level of dealer techs - you might want to do some Googling".
Now I cross my fingers and hope the dealer they took my car to today is better than the first.

·
Registered
245 Posts
All this makes me wonder if GM has as many trained techs out there as they ought to? Maybe there should be some Chevy dealers that deliberately try to specialize in EV service. Maybe that way customers will know that unless they take it to Joe Blow Chevy there's a good chance that they'll get some Luddite service manager...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Sounds like you have a bad battery. It's rare, but has happened to others. Fortunately, it's under warranty unless you have >100k miles.

I am beginning to wonder how rare it is. Out of curiosity, I just did a search of past posts for members reporting failed batteries...Enzeder makes 36...that I found.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I see we have 7.4K members on this forum. 36/7400=0.49%. Where have I seen that number? Let's hope it isn't contagious. :cautious:
I worked in manufacturing all my career, and our company sold parts to automotive manufacturers. They realize no manufacturing process is perfect and there is always a failure rate. I don't know what their acceptable failure rate is for a failed battery, but half a % seems to be on the high side for something as expensive as replacing a battery. My bet is they are working on their quality systems to make things better.

·
Registered
Bolt EV, 2019, Premier
51 Posts
Sounds more and more like trolling to me. GM techs should have all this available on their service laptops. With that service bulletin there really should be no issue. There really does not need to be a Bolt specific tech to figure this out.

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Sounds more and more like trolling to me. GM techs should have all this available on their service laptops. With that service bulletin there really should be no issue. There really does not need to be a Bolt specific tech to figure this out.
My rural local dealership is as helpful as they can be. Their one trained Bolt tech took a job teaching auto repair a year ago, and they no longer have one, With the pandemic, they will be lucky to keep the doors open. Without huge government intervention, none of the legacy companies would be in business right now. Who needs gumint? ;)

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I am beginning to wonder how rare it is. Out of curiosity, I just did a search of past posts for members reporting failed batteries...Enzeder makes 36...that I found.
How many of those were 2016 build models with the initial batch of batteries?

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
Our membership's 7.4K Bolts is 10.9% of the 68,151 sold in the US, so far. I don't know if those who had battery failures are more or less likely to be forum members.

I wonder how many would be willing to post specifics like build date, mileage, etc. to a dedicated thread for tracking battery failures?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah. That's my guess - bad battery. Kinda wish the first tech to look at the car was either better trained or more competent. A good tech never would have returned the car to a customer in such a degraded state.
I understand why people get frustrated with dealers. The Bolt was my first new car purchase ever. And my first GM purchase. At this rate it might be my last. Here's the timeline:
  • Get a text from the service dept the next afternoon saying car is ready - no trouble found (no DTC's) - range reduction normal according to GM.
  • Frustratingly, in the checkout packet the dealer handed me, the tech included service bulletin #19-NA-210 (Diagnostic Aid - EV Range Loss on Bolt EV - Oct 13, 2019) which if followed would likely have lead to a positive outcome.
  • Contact GM that night to see if they have any suggestions. I was hoping they would know of a dealership with trained techs.
  • Play phone tag with GM for a week for them to tell me they'll contact the dealer
  • 2½ weeks later they respond with "we have no suggestions - we have no idea of the training level of dealer techs - you might want to do some Googling".
Now I cross my fingers and hope the dealer they took my car to today is better than the first.
But do you like the car?

·
Registered
836 Posts
How’s the Bolt faring in your new dealer? Just curious, which was the first dealer you brought it to? I seem to recall that you’re from MD as well; this would be helpful so that we Marylanders can avoid that first one like the plague (or the coronavirus, for a more updated metaphor).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Update please. Keep us in the loop!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts