Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for all the great posts,

I am considering a Bolt as our next car, however I am concerned about range.

There is a vacation spot we go to every year that is 365 miles from door to door, There is currently a DCFC, about 145 miles into the journey, which leaves 240 miles with no DCFC or L2 charges yet! We could take a longer route that has them but would prefer not to. What is the longest some one has actually driven, not what it guesstimates in a bolt. We are a one car family and we could rent a car for the trip but I would prefer to use the Bolt!

Also does the car go into some sort of low power mode towards the end of the charge/range?

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
use your L1 charger while staying at your destination and you should be good with the DCFC half way. I haven't done any long distance travel yet, so I'm sure others will chime in soon.

edit: sorry, I misread your scenario. I was thinking the DCFC was half way. At 75 mph and good conditions your range will only be 190 miles. So you would have to slow down for sure. No RV parks on the way? That would allow a little top off with an L2 charger.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Thanks for all the great posts,

I am considering a Bolt as our next car, however I am concerned about range.

There is a vacation spot we go to every year that is 365 miles from door to door, There is currently a DCFC, about 145 miles into the journey, which leaves 240 miles with no DCFC or L2 charges yet! We could take a longer route that has them but would prefer not to. What is the longest some one has actually driven, not what it guesstimates in a bolt. We are a one car family and we could rent a car for the trip but I would prefer to use the Bolt!

Also does the car go into some sort of low power mode towards the end of the charge/range?
I put 250 miles once on my Bolt from a full charge and my car went into power saving mode the last 2 miles of the trip. I still had 8 miles left according to the car and my radio didn't turn off, which I think is the last thing that happened before the car officially runs out of juice.

You should be able to hit the charger and then the same one on the way back to be safe. I still use my Explorer that gets 25 mpg on the highway for long trips. I could probably take my Bolt easily in California to any location, but the EVgo chargers are more expensive than gas plus I have a 3 and 8 year old. They wouldn't want to hit a fast charger three times during the trip. Plus the Bolt is pretty cramped for a family of four trip.

Renting cars is not a bad idea if it is only a few times per year. We were a one car family for years and I don't think I would have bought a Bolt back then. I am hoping that VW actually makes their EV Bus in 2021. I will be the first to buy one!

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Did you mean 220 miles with no DCFC? I would not attempt even 200 miles, on interstates. On secondary roads, in good weather, it may be doable, but definitely take your portable charge cord, in case you need to sit in a parking lot, for long hours, trickle charging. We did a trip with a 506.4 mile day. But the longest leg was 180 miles, on secondary roads, and DC fast charging all the way.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Did you mean 220 miles with no DCFC? I would not attempt even 200 miles, on interstates. On secondary roads, in good weather, it may be doable, but definitely take your portable charge cord, in case you need to sit in a parking lot, for long hours, trickle charging. We did a trip with a 506.4 mile day. But the longest leg was 180 miles, on secondary roads, and DC fast charging all the way.
This is really weather dependent. I would have no problem taking my Bolt 220 miles on highways during weather without climate control or even during the summer with air conditioning. On hilltop reserve mode I can get over 210 miles on that alone going between 65 and 75 mph. However, if you encounter high winds or need to use your heater you will be in trouble.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
it is also terrain, and traffic dependent. There are interstates in the US where you will be forced off the road by truckers if you attempt to run less than 80 mph.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input, it is all highway driving, I95 then I40 South. D.C. (Mclean) to Wilmington North Carolina, We also go from D.C. (Mclean) to Atlantic beach, NC which is a similar distance. There are a few L2 places along the way but these are not ideal. I think the answer is take the long route. D.C. -> Richmond -> Raleigh -> Wilmington

Atlantic beach I am not so sure about.

A second car is not an option, I am blind and my wife does all the driving, a second car would sit unused for 99% of the time. No kids so the Bolt is fine for use size wise. In theory the Bolt could make it but it sounds like Highway reduces the range somewhat.

·
Registered
107 Posts
A second car is not an option, I am blind and my wife does all the driving, a second car would sit unused for 99% of the time. No kids so the Bolt is fine for use size wise. In theory the Bolt could make it but it sounds like Highway reduces the range somewhat.
If you do this trip just once a year, then buy the Bolt and just rent a different car once a year. I plan on renting once or twice a year for holiday vacations and road trips.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Yes. Renting for road trips is really the most sensible option for most of the country right now. There are avid EV bloggers who are pushing the limits. But most people would be very upset if they had to have their car put on a rollback for a trip to the nearest charge station.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts