Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have never seen anything close to +15.6 on the technique bar, especially so low down on the scale near the middle. Do you have your kids pushing the car? Did you just coast down Pike's Peak? I don't trust it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just driving like a normal law abiding person. L mode in town and D mode with ROD paddle on the freeway so I could coast more getting on the off ramps. Dont know if less regen over more time gives more than the large amount you get in L mode for the shorter time. I've only had it a week.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I, like most other EV drivers, call these the four "T"s: technique, terrain, temp (outside), and temp (inside climate settings). Terrain and outside temperature are beyond your control. Terrain is both the presence (frequency) of hills (you can only recover {regenerate} 60-80% of the energy you spend ascending the hill on the way back down) AND the net elevation gain or loss. Turning off all but seat heat, or all air conditioning gains you far fewer miles than slowing down does. Technique (primarily speed control) trumps them all, and you DO have control over this. If you can drive safely at 60 mph on the interstate, instead of 70 mph, you can easily add 20-40 miles to your range. I have only needed to "hypermile" about 3-4 times in three years, but I have left home, in winter, for a 170 mile trip with a 175 mile expected range at the outset (5 mile buffer) and arriving with 25 miles (buffer) still in the battery pack, a gain of 20 miles. My admonition: drive normally when you can, slow down when you desire sphincter relaxation.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I, like most other EV drivers, call these the four "T"s: technique, terrain, temp (outside), and temp (inside climate settings). Terrain and outside temperature are beyond your control. Terrain is both the presence (frequency) of hills (you can only recover {regenerate} 60-80% of the energy you spend ascending the hill on the way back down) AND the net elevation gain or loss. Turning off all but seat heat, or all air conditioning gains you far fewer miles than slowing down does. Technique (primarily speed control) trumps them all, and you DO have control over this. If you can drive safely at 60 mph on the interstate, instead of 70 mph, you can easily add 20-40 miles to your range. I have only needed to "hypermile" about 3-4 times in three years, but I have left home, in winter, for a 170 mile trip with a 175 mile expected range at the outset (5 mile buffer) and arriving with 25 miles (buffer) still in the battery pack, a gain of 20 miles. My admonition: drive normally when you can, slow down when you desire sphincter relaxation.
I try very hard to do the speed limit +5. I have my speed alarm set to 65 as most of my driving is on 60 mph highways,when I venture over to a 70 stretch I set cruise at 70 and stay right.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I find the display useless. Just drive reasonably and check tire pressure. The rest is just eye candy to impress you with the prowess of their computer...

·
Registered
29 Posts
I find the display useless. Just drive reasonably and check tire pressure. The rest is just eye candy to impress you with the prowess of their computer...
I pretty much agree that this "info graphic" is pretty much useless. As stated above, I have no control over terrain or outside temp. And on another "info graphic" screen, it shows power flow from the battery to the electric motor. AND regeneration!! Wow, is that impressive! And useless. What else will those engineers do to impress me? I do love my Bolt, though!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Agree the entertainment displays don't accomplish much. The energy flow diagram was interesting on the Volt in hold mode but on a BEV, not.
Amusing that Max Regen produces enough G's to classify it as "hard braking" by insurance company standards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Agree the entertainment displays don't accomplish much. The energy flow diagram was interesting on the Volt in hold mode but on a BEV, not.
Amusing that Max Regen produces enough G's to classify it as "hard braking" by insurance company standards.
Any use of the paddle, being in D or L will count as hard breaking, learned that from the Volt days and the GM App, I only was able to have a 100% target when drove to the stores around any high traffic or regen use would immediately hit your score, I was able to keep it at 90%+ most of the time.

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
Agree the entertainment displays don't accomplish much.
I sometimes refer to the pie chart showing where my energy went (driving/HVAC/battery conditioning), and I also like the efficiency graph that shows how much energy I've been using for each 5km slice of the last 50km. I find that to be pretty informative here in hilly British Columbia where every 5km has a unique terrain profile.

I find the other displays to be a lot less useful.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts