Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the Bolt early this month to drive a 50 mile a day round trip commute, five days a week.

Have a steep elevation change, mid way in the trip, while at freeway speeds (+ or - 700 feet up and down).

50 percent roughly of the drive is freeway at 57 mph via cruise control.
The balance is city driving (25mph - 35mph) with lots of congestion on the return trip.
40-45 mins average go to work drive time.
60-70 mins average return to home drive time.

I plug it into the 110v every night after work to bring back the battery to 100%.
Use L mode for regen with paddle regen as applicable for extra stopping power.
Hardly even know what a brake pedal is at this point.

So far, only driven in summer weather...not too hot....not too cold.
Expect a 10 percent or more increase in power consumption when winter comes, via other posts here in the forum.
We'll see what that shakes out to be.

Only running the AC for about 12 miles during the return trip home while on the freeway (per manf. do not drive with windows down on freeway).
No real heating beyond defrosting the windshield for a few mins. has been required yet and I do that on the fly.
As fall/winter comes, I'll use remote start while plugged in to the 110v so the house current helps to heat/defrost the car.
History of the dash readout for miles available:

(dash readout when initially driven home from dealership)
Miles Max range Mid range Min range

I'd not really paid much attention to it thinking the 238 approx as advertised was great and worked well for my needs.
It climbed a wee bit in the first week or so.
After about 400 miles, I started noticing it climbing faster and started tracking percent of battery used for distance driven.
It's super easy as the car is pretty much only driven to work.
One morning a week, it's driven about + or - 5 miles round trip to the grocery store.

(current dash readouts)
Miles Max range Mid range Min range Battery used Miles driven between full charges
437....342..............290...........237...........16%.............50
486....346..............294...........241...........17%.............49
540....355..............301...........246...........16%.............54

I'm thoroughly impressed with the car.
Will be interesting to see what the mid range yearly average turns out to be, come this time next year.

What are your Max, Mid and Min looking like when you power it up after a full charge and what is your odometer reading total mile wise?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Sorry to ask this tangent question, but since others have brought it up...

Does L mode allow more kW of regen than using the brake? In another thread someone mentioned that the brake pedal won't allow as much as in L mode, meaning the friction brakes apply before maximum regen is reached.

I test drove one yesterday and didn't like 1-pedal. In fact, I don't like that it regens in normal driving mode when the accelerator is released. I'd much prefer to have a neutral coast and control the regen with the brake pedal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I find the one pedal driving very easy and a breeze to be able to land the car at a stop sign/light with.
Coasting to slow down over time, robs you of regen ability.
If all the regen were located in the brake pedal only, I think you'd be missing out on attaining all the regen possible.
The designers say 20 percent of the cars range is via the regen.
To each his or her own, though. I'd not buy it if I were you. You'd never be happy with it's function to regen when you take your foot off the pedal, either in D or L.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
I find the one pedal driving very easy and a breeze to be able to land the car at a stop sign/light with.
Coasting to slow down over time, robs you of regen ability.
If all the regen were located in the brake pedal only, I think you'd be missing out on attaining all the regen possible.
The designers say 20 percent of the cars range is via the regen.
To each his or her own, though. I'd not buy it if I were you. You'd never be happy with it's function to regen when you take your foot off the pedal, either in D or L.
Agree, to each his own, but to me the one-pedal operation is the single best feature of the Bolt; absolutely love it and always engage L. The L-function is much superior to any other EV I've driven. In fact, when I get back in to an antique two-pedal ICE, I always think, "****, that's inconvenient to have to use two feet or one foot on two pedals."

Another bonus I notice is sitting first in line at a traffic light, foot on the one-pedal, the EV is long gone before the ICE driver can shift his foot from the brake to the go pedal and spool up his torque converter.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
The regen paddle moves with the steering wheel and, when driving a curvy road (like we have here in WV) you can't always get to it when needed quickly. "L mode" is perfect for this type of driving. Once you get used to it, "L mode" is very easy to adjust/adapt to. Give it some time, redpoint5, you will lose your being enamoured with "coasting".

·
Registered
35 Posts
I picked up my Bolt just last week and did not like the L-mode on my drive back home from the dealership as I felt it too jerky. However, I spent a bit of time the next day driving with it and absolutely fell in love with it. In fact, I haven't used D since then. On a side note - almost crashed my Jeep Cherokee the other day as I forgot it didn't have the function :D I think it is just the initial 5-10 minutes of getting comfortable with the L mode and enjoying full regen after that. I agree with surgeonFWW that there are certain situations that would warrant using the brake pedal and am doing my best to use it once in a while so that I don't forget it exists!!

To the OP - it is great to see the numbers you have been able to achieve. I have a very similar commute (~52 miles RT every weekday) and am looking forward to seeing how my guy is behaving in a month.

Reactions: PaddyPatrick

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
I test drove one yesterday and didn't like 1-pedal. In fact, I don't like that it regens in normal driving mode when the accelerator is released. I'd much prefer to have a neutral coast and control the regen with the brake pedal.
If you're driving efficiently then you'll be using the brake pedal gently and you won't normally exceed its regen capability. If you're having to stomp on the brakes a lot or rely on the heavier ranges of 1-pedal regen, then you're driving inefficiently and you'll end up using more energy than an efficient two-pedal driver anyway. So I wouldn't stay up at night worrying too much about the difference.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts