Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I regularly travel for work from Orlando area to Jacksonville, FL. It is about 140 miles, all flat terrain, almost entirely highway travel. Weather in this area is typically warm to hot, 70s to 90s although sometimes it gets to freezing. Yes, the struggle is real for those five days!

Energy uses besides the driving:
1. Air conditioner
2. Wipers when rainy
3. Radio (to listen to audiobooks from my smartphone).

Other info: I almost always drive the one way and stay for a few days; the rare one day trip I am there for at least 10-12 hours, with a level 2 charge station at my work destination. All hotels I stay at have Level 2 chargers.

From what I can tell, I should be able to make the drive with energy to spare, even if I run the A/C. Given the info above, does anyone have any concerns about getting a Bolt as my next vehicle? NOTE: wifey will probably try to torpedo the idea of a Bolt, so a recharge en route isn't an option!

(there was a great range report from a Jax bolt owner about his drive to Orlando, just want to factor in other weather etc that could reduce range).

Thanks again from this newbie.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Do you have a level 2 charger at home? If not, it's a good idea to get one. The 238 mile range is real. A number of owners are reporting even better range than this.

The air conditioner shouldn't be much of a burden. Most car air conditioners consume around 5 hp (3.5 kW).

Range on the freeway is NOT as good as range in town, but not by much.

Long distance freeway travel is a breeze for me. I did a two hour trip a few weeks ago, and it was quite pleasant. There is plenty of passing power too, even on the freeway.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You are good unless you cruise at 80+ mph.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I agree with the prior comments, should be a good fit, even with delays and detours from construction or accidents I see no issues with what you have described.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Perfect scenario for this car.
You will be fine regardless of weather, temps, or speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do you have a level 2 charger at home? If not, it's a good idea to get one. The 238 mile range is real. A number of owners are reporting even better range than this.

The air conditioner shouldn't be much of a burden. Most car air conditioners consume around 5 hp (3.5 kW).

Range on the freeway is NOT as good as range in town, but not by much.

Long distance freeway travel is a breeze for me. I did a two hour trip a few weeks ago, and it was quite pleasant. There is plenty of passing power too, even on the freeway.
Great advice from all of you thanks!

Regarding the Level 2 charger, I am looking into it. There are plenty of FREE level 2's around my house; I work away from my home frequently, but when I am home I hardly go further than a few miles. So I can probably use them; also a couple of level 3's near me. I was going to try to top off 30 mins/90 miles (as they say) and then do the two day charge thing with a level 1 in my garage. Seems forever to many, but it might work with my schedule. I am what is called a value based consumer. My kids just say I am cheap.

Thanks again for the feedback from you experienced Bolters.

·
Registered
99 Posts
(there was a great range report from a Jax bolt owner about his drive to Orlando, just want to factor in other weather etc that could reduce range).
That’s me! ;) Thanks for the kind words.

A fully charged Bolt will get you there with plenty to spare, and I can provide real world data to prove it. I recently completed another “Disney Dash” (I.e. down and back in the same day). It was on one of the colder (though not coldest) days we’ve had in FL. I grabbed the stats off my Bolt at the end of the return trip. (Air temp was in the 40-50’s on the way back). With the climate control running at 70 degrees F, I was able to travel 161 miles on 50.7 kWh with an estimated 26 miles of range remaining. Hope that provides more confidence!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with the other posters that you should have no problem, but you will want to be careful on those (rare?) days that the weather gets to freezing.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Great advice from all of you thanks!

Regarding the Level 2 charger, I am looking into it. There are plenty of FREE level 2's around my house; I work away from my home frequently, but when I am home I hardly go further than a few miles. So I can probably use them; also a couple of level 3's near me. I was going to try to top off 30 mins/90 miles (as they say) and then do the two day charge thing with a level 1 in my garage. Seems forever to many, but it might work with my schedule. I am what is called a value based consumer. My kids just say I am cheap.

Thanks again for the feedback from you experienced Bolters.
How close to your house? like you could plug in and walk home?

Do you have any access to 220V while at home near where the Bolt will be parked?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I drive 130 mile commute every day and I charge to hilltop reserve (about 87%) every night. Even in temperatures in the low 30's I have never had an issue. I would recommend in a level 2 charger at home. It is so convenient and the level 1 charging can be a PITA! During the summer reaching well over 100 degrees I was getting well over 200 miles blasting the air conditioner and driving down the highways at over 70 mph. The cold weather is another story.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts