Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving home last night I observed that the car had been driven 220 miles since last full charge, and the battery indicated 60% charge remaining. That would seem to indicate the car could travel over 400 miles on a single charge, assuming the conditions were the same. Most of this travel is suburban with maximum speed under 50 MPH, in 75 - 85 degree ambient temperature.

Is that range what other owners are experiencing?

Bob

·
Registered
33 Posts
While driving home last night I observed that the car had been driven 220 miles since last full charge, and the battery indicated 60% charge remaining. That would seem to indicate the car could travel over 400 miles on a single charge, assuming the conditions were the same. Most of this travel is suburban with maximum speed under 50 MPH, in 75 - 85 degree ambient temperature.

Is that range what other owners are experiencing?

Bob
Miles since last FULL charge. You could have a few partial charges in there (20% to 80%) and that wouldn't reset that statistic.

·
Registered
739 Posts
There are too many variables to really comment on this, but in stop and go traffic, mostly downhill with no A/C or heat, maybe its possible, but as a rule, its probably a brief statistic that you will not see again. I can reach 5 m/kWh often for short periods, or particular journeys down hill on a mild day, but not permanently. If I could achieve that consistently, then we are talking about a 300 mile range, not 400 mile. I have often seen a range around or a bit over 300 miles, but never 400 miles.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Miles since last FULL charge. You could have a few partial charges in there (20% to 80%) and that wouldn't reset that statistic.
Yep, this is most likely it. One week I used 150 kWh of energy traveling 500 miles. Unfortunately, I only have a 60 kWh battery. Partial charges will mislead you like that.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe that the Bolt/Ampera-E record still stands at 387 miles, set by Bjorn Nyland, on one of his videos. He was hypermiling, at ~25 MPH, on a flat road, with no A/C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, this is most likely it. One week I used 150 kWh of energy traveling 500 miles. Unfortunately, I only have a 60 kWh battery. Partial charges will mislead you like that.
No, there were no partial charges in that cycle - only a full charge with my Juicebox Pro. I'll watch it again since I just recharged it again!

Bob

1 - 8 of 8 Posts