Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 - It's OK

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
software issues are my biggest concern. random lockups and weird behaviors are just annoying.

i occasionally get the swoopy startup noise when i get in, even though i have the audio cues turned off. i'll also occasionally get the 'don't take your eyes off the road' warning that stays on the screen until you acknowledge it (for which you have to take your eyes off the road). good stuff.

·
Registered
58 Posts
software issues are my biggest concern. random lockups and weird behaviors are just annoying.

i occasionally get the swoopy startup noise when i get in, even though i have the audio cues turned off. i'll also occasionally get the 'don't take your eyes off the road' warning that stays on the screen until you acknowledge it (for which you have to take your eyes off the road). good stuff.
Ha, that one cracks me up. I literally have to pull over to the side of the road periodically to safely turn off that stuck message. What were they thinking!

My favorite glitch, though, is with the cruise control crashing Apple Carplay. All you have to do is turn on cruise control, and boom, crash! How the heck can it be considered safe to have the entertainment system and the cruise control exist in the same memory chips and on the same processor. One bad programmer (and, from the looks of things, they have a few bad programmers) could cause these cars to malfunction and crash!

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'm really loving my Bolt! However I have never owned a car that there weren't a few things I would like changed, so I picked 8.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:xI had previously "lost that loving feeling" for American cars. I had a new 1977 Chevy Corvette, and other than the 2003 Cadillac CTS & 2014 Buick Encore, nothing but European and Japanese cars. We leased the 2014 Buick Encore for my wife for three years and liked it so well, we purchased it at lease end. Based on numerous owner and video reviews, I felt comfortable leasing my Bolt, my third America/GM vehicle in the past thirty seven years. I'm very happy with my Bolt!

·
Registered
499 Posts
I love my LT. The seats fit me perfectly, I love Android Auto (using Waze for nav),
Great handling, great visibility, great headlights... What's not to like?
I have experienced (knock on wood) ZERO problems with it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
This is my first Chevy/GM product. I have driven toyota and honda all my life. There was no need to switch. My last car was a camry hybrid and it was solid giving me little trouble in the 2.5 years and 85,000 miles i put on it.

For me, the Bolt has hit a nerve. I think of it more as a hot hatch GTI type with an upright seating position and outstanding visibility. Easy in and out. I like that the interior is different and not cookie cutter. GM is taking some chances and that is good. There is no reward without risk.

If it was standard GM fare...I would never have bought it.

Being 200 miles of electric goodness is just icing on the cake!

This car will take time to be appreciated...because it IS different.

I like it so much I feel lost when I have to drive an ICE car now!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is my first Chevy/GM product. I have driven toyota and honda all my life. There was no need to switch. My last car was a camry hybrid and it was solid giving me little trouble in the 2.5 years and 85,000 miles i put on it.

For me, the Bolt has hit a nerve. I think of it more as a hot hatch GTI type with an upright seating position and outstanding visibility. Easy in and out. I like that the interior is different and not cookie cutter. GM is taking some chances and that is good. There is no reward without risk.

If it was standard GM fare...I would never have bought it.

Being 200 miles of electric goodness is just icing on the cake!

This car will take time to be appreciated...because it IS different.

I like it so much I feel lost when I have to drive an ICE car now!
You expressed it perfectly. I was all Japanese previously too, but I could see they did something different here.

·
Registered
499 Posts
...For me, the Bolt has hit a nerve. I think of it more as a hot hatch GTI type with an upright seating position and outstanding visibility. Easy in and out. I like that the interior is different and not cookie cutter. GM is taking some chances and that is good. There is no reward without risk...
Well put.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been driving mine for 2 and a half months now and absolutely love it! I haven't experienced any of the infotainment system glitches or any of the other problems that have been occasionally reported here.

Things that have impressed me:
  • range (wow!)
  • acceleration (it never gets old!) :D
  • smooth "shifting" (I know, there is no shifting which is why it's so smooth)
  • one pedal L gear driving...ideal for city driving
  • steering feel and responsiveness; solid feel; very nimble car
  • super quiet cabin
Things that could be improved:
  • exterior styling could be sportier; looks like an entry level economy car; I definitely prefer the styling to the Leaf, but it's no sexy Tesla
  • lacks adaptive cruise control, even in my Premier model with all extra options; it has regular cruise control, and front facing radar for the collision detection, so why not combine those existing technologies for adaptive cruise control? Seems like a simple software update could add this missing feature
  • front seats are a bit narrow for my comfort; I don't find them extremely uncomfortable like others have reported, but it is an area that could be improved

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I was expecting myself to say 9/10, but somehow ended with 7/10. I have just realized I don't like the name, which is another penalty point. The Volt was great; the Bolt is "We are just too lazy to come up with a new name for the new car; Let's see if we can get away with changing one letter ... Equinox - Equibox ... Sonic - Sanic ... Volt - Bolt"

·
Registered
989 Posts
I was expecting myself to say 9/10, but somehow ended with 7/10. I have just realized I don't like the name, which is another penalty point. The Volt was great; the Bolt is "We are just too lazy to come up with a new name for the new car; Let's see if we can get away with changing one letter ... Equinox - Equibox ... Sonic - Sanic ... Volt - Bolt"
Ha! I find the name very relevant to the car :nerd:

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:Would you prefer something more trend setting like Leaf or Model 4? Bolt, derived from the Volt theme. Maybe not brilliant thinking, but it sure works for me. Simple, easy to pronounce, spell, and it makes sense.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A whole point just because of the name, really?

Actually it couldn't have been lazy given all the talk from GM about being aware of the potential confusion. And since I also work in a big corp where we sell expensive hardware, naming is a big deal. Guarantee a marketing team spent a lot of time on that, oftentimes they send it out to a consultant who specializes in this kind of thing. It wasn't laziness by a long shot, they thought it was a good name, of course some people won't.

Personally I love it. Volt/Bolt - which reflects the point that they are siblings, and pays due to their electrical drive train. And Bolt implies fast - faster than the Volt certainly. You can see the design intent here which is it's a mass market car but with style. Is this really a Chevy? Hard for me to tell.

Anyhow, from a product marketing perspective I think they made the right choice, it's short, compelling, has vivid imagery and memorable.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Personally I love it. Volt/Bolt - which reflects the point that they are siblings, and pays due to their electrical drive train. And Bolt implies fast - faster than the Volt certainly. You can see the design intent here which is it's a mass market car but with style. Is this really a Chevy? Hard for me to tell.

Anyhow, from a product marketing perspective I think they made the right choice, it's short, compelling, has vivid imagery and memorable.
I cannot remember when I last heard the word "bolt" used in colloquial speech on its own as a synonym of fast, sudden movement, although everyone knows what it is.

The compound word thunderbolt and the saying "locking the stable after the horse has bolted" are common, but if you write the word BOLT on its own on a piece of paper and ask 100 native speakers to define its most likely meaning, 99 would speak about a piece of hardware, as in bolt and nut or deadbolt.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I cannot remember when I last heard the word "bolt" used in colloquial speech on its own as a synonym of fast, sudden movement, although everyone knows what it is.

The compound word thunderbolt and the saying "locking the stable after the horse has bolted" are common, but if you write the word BOLT on its own on a piece of paper and ask 100 native speakers to define its most likely meaning, 99 would speak about a piece of hardware, as in bolt and nut or deadbolt.
OEDv2 (n.1 means the first noun version, v.1 the first verb, etc)

bolt, n.1
(bəʊlt)
[OE. bolt (str. masc.) a cross-bow bolt, cogn. with OHG. bolz, mod.G. bolz, bolzen ‘cross-bow arrow’, also ‘bolt for a door’, MDu. and Du. bout, MLG. bolte, bolten bolt, fetter, piece of linen rolled up. The remoter etymology is unknown; but it cannot be referred to the verb stem bul- to swell, be round.]

I.I A projectile.
1. a.I.1.a An arrow; especially one of the stouter and shorter kind with blunt or thickened head, called also quarrel, discharged from a cross-bow or other engine. Often fig., esp. in the proverbial phrase a fool's bolt is soon shot, so common from the 13th to 18th c. †at first bolt: at the first go off.
bolt, n.2
(bəʊlt)
[f. bolt v.2]

The act of bolting.
1.1 A sudden spring or start.
***1550 Lyndesay Sqr. Meldrum 146 Bot with ane bolt on thame he bendit. ***1577 Hellowes Gueuara's Chron. 335 The two Consuls gaue a boylt aloft on their chariots.
In particular this tells the story, underlining added

bolt, v.2
(bəʊlt)
Forms: 3 bulten, 3–4 bult (3rd sing. pa. tense), 5 bult, 6 bolte, Sc. bowt, 6–7 boult, 7 bowlt, 8 Sc. bout, 4– bolt.

[f. bolt n.1 in its two main senses of ‘a missile’ and ‘a fastening’: the former has given rise to uses of the most diverse kinds, connected merely by the common notion of sudden or hasty motion or application of force, some of them being directly contrary to others: cf. ‘to bolt a dart’ 4 a, ‘bolt a cony’ 4 b, ‘bolt a paraphrase’ 5, ‘bolt an egg’, ‘bolt the bill’ 6, ‘bolt the ticket’ 7, besides ‘bolt the door’ 9, ‘bolt a ship’ 10.]

I.I To spring, move suddenly, with its causal.
Clearly the connotation is in the sense of a missle (originally a crossbow bolt), which in common usage leads to the "notion of sudden or hasty motion or application of force". Personally I doubt people would think of a fastener when hearing the name.

Additionally it has the advange of being Anglo-Saxon in origin, I knew it would be given the monosyllabic directness. Via French from the Norman invasion most of the multi-sylable words are Latin in origin. Because of this AS words are more clear, direct and punchy in prose. Tolkien makes extensive use of this feature in LOTR. Compare "Bolt" to "Impala", for example, to get a taste of the power of the former.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
"Colloquial use", which I speak of, means "impromptu, oral, informal conversation on a general subject" and not what could be found while mining dictionaries.

There are many words with multiple meanings, and more often than not one of these meanings will be the first one to come to one's mind in most conversations. For example, if you say "Table", most people will typically think of an item of furniture and not the Periodic Table. If you say "Head", most people will typically think of the upper section of an organism and not of a head of cabbage

Matter of fact, I might run the Describe a "bolt" in once sentence experiment sometime next week, limited to maybe 5-10 people.

As for connotations, I agree - when a person sees a Bolt and has a pre-existing interest in EV's, yes, he/she will probably apply the context and interpret the word as a fast-moving projectile. I am not sure about a person who can't tell a BEV from a hybrid from a plug-in hybrid from a golf cart.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
:eek:Would you prefer something more trend setting like Leaf or Model 4? Bolt, derived from the Volt theme. Maybe not brilliant thinking, but it sure works for me. Simple, easy to pronounce, spell, and it makes sense.
Leaf is memorable and it can appeal to tree-hugging sensibilities. It is also great for backronyms, e.g. Lacking Engine, Aesthetically Fumbled.

Model 4 wouldn't mean anything if it weren't attached to a unique brand, e.g. Tesla or Boeing (you notice airplane types may be given nicknames, but officially they only have numerical designations, like B787, A380, E195, I presume not to overload and/or dilute the main brand name).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
"Colloquial use", which I speak of, means "impromptu, oral, informal conversation on a general subject" and not what could be found while mining dictionaries.
Not 'dictionaries' but the OED/Oxford English Dictionary, which is the pre-eminant source for word usage and history. It captures colloquial use, as it becomes established and moves into printed media. The OED is a 'usage' dictionary compared to others, since every index has a history of how the word was used throughout the centuries. So yes I think consulting the OED is perfectly suited to this example as 'usage' also means 'colloquial usage' and is sourced for the dictionary.

As for connotations, I agree - when a person sees a Bolt and has a pre-existing interest in EV's, yes, he/she will probably apply the context and interpret the word as a fast-moving projectile. I am not sure about a person who can't tell a BEV from a hybrid from a plug-in hybrid from a golf cart.
Shrug, people see cars and think "something that moves", not "something that is fastened together", can't get on board with you on the idea people hear about a car named "Bolt" and think "lug nut", or "rivet" to themselves.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
As mentioned, every owner will find a few areas he/she feels need improvement. For me, while I love driving the Bolt, there are a few really bothersome major omissions:

1. We have to accept the Bolt isn't a $43,000 car; it's a $23,000 car with a $10,000 battery and $10,000 of rush EV development costs. Having said that, the Bolt should have all the convenience features other $23,000 cars have, shouldn't it?

2. My wife and I fight over who gets the Bolt, so the one feature a $43,000 car would have I miss most is electric-adjust-with-memory seats/mirrors/steering wheel. There are $23,000 cars with one-touch auto adjustment.

3. As mentioned, the hardware is mostly there for adaptive cruise control. Again, it's been offered on other, lesser cars. That the Bolt doesn't have it is inexcusable.

4. Navigation - many are using smartphone, but since the big permanently mounted center screen is there and the technology is everywhere - no reason it shouldn't be standard.

5. 4-wheel-drive option for those in the frozen north. Subaru went from struggling nutball car company to major player up here by making AWD standard on most all their cars starting in 1972.

Again, love the Bolt; just wondering why we didn't get the obvious good stuff?

jack vines

1 - 20 of 38 Posts