Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Contending with a rodent infestation, see attached photo. In addition to the fecal and urine deposits, very concerned about potential destruction to interior wiring. Required to park outdoors with limited overnight options, but have taken several steps to try to reduce visits including cutting away all underbrush in the vicinity of the car and ceasing overnight charging. The former should help reduce snail density around the car, the preferred element of the local rat diet, and force the rats into exposed space when approaching the car. The latter will help reduce warm overnight habitation options for nocturnal rats. So far, about a week without further evidence. But, what a major headache! At least a possum hasn't taken up residence. Yet.

Related questions for others:

Anyone who may have had to contend with similar problems have any feedback on what actions might be particularly effective?

Does anyone happen to have an idea if a water flush of the motor compartment is feasible? Exceptionally hesitant to do this, but would prefer to clean up the mess if only because it is disgusting but also for health concerns.

Thanks.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Wow! I have had the exact same situation!! I just cleaned it up and chalked it up to bad luck, but ****! With your reporting, it seems something in there is attractive to rats! I suspect it's warm and stays warm with battery management. I discovered it while showing off my Bolt to an interested party. :eek:

Everybody, check under your hoods!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Contending with a rodent infestation, see attached photo. In addition to the fecal and urine deposits, very concerned about potential destruction to interior wiring. Required to park outdoors with limited overnight options, but have taken several steps to try to reduce visits including cutting away all underbrush in the vicinity of the car and ceasing overnight charging. The former should help reduce snail density around the car, the preferred element of the local rat diet, and force the rats into exposed space when approaching the car. The latter will help reduce warm overnight habitation options for nocturnal rats. So far, about a week without further evidence. But, what a major headache! At least a possum hasn't taken up residence. Yet.

Related questions for others:

Anyone who may have had to contend with similar problems have any feedback on what actions might be particularly effective?

Does anyone happen to have an idea if a water flush of the motor compartment is feasible? Exceptionally hesitant to do this, but would prefer to clean up the mess if only because it is disgusting but also for health concerns.

Thanks.
I use Benefect and the less smelly Decon 30 to disinfect stuff like this, it kills bacteria and mold etc naturally (thyme based) many remediators use this. I found local retail pet store carryies it as well. Safety supply houses carry it too. It works. I have cleaned up many a latrine and mold, usually weraing a full facemask too (inside) bebefect has quite a smell coming from its oils and I can tell it right away. As thyme is a natural repellent too I wonder if it might keep them away. Decon 30 is the less smelly version of benefect.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Wow! I have had the exact same situation!! I just cleaned it up and chalked it up to bad luck, but ****! With your reporting, it seems something in there is attractive to rats! I suspect it's warm and stays warm with battery management. I discovered it while showing off my Bolt to an interested party. :eek:

Somewhere I read an article about automotive wiring and problems with it "attracting" rodents that end up chewing the wires.

Found it

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/they-love-it-why-chewing-rodents-are-costing-car-owners-big-bucks-1.3254895

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
We use dryer sheets and some insist the "Bounce" brand in our hang glider bags to keep mice out. Another friend of mine collects cars and used "fresh cab" which is tough to find since it used to contain arsenic. Not for inside the car though as it has a strong odor. Another trick is irish spring soap. Shave some slivers on a plate or aluminum foil. I've heard moth balls work too.
https://www.menards.com/main/outdoors/gardening/animal-insect-controls/animal-traps-repellents/fresh-cab-reg-rodent-repellent-4-pack/p-1444427751360.htm

·
Registered
334 Posts
Don't forget the centuries-old method of keeping dogs and cats in your barn/garage. I have two dogs that like to sleep in the garage with my Bolt. I've never seen a mouse or rat in my garage.

But then you do have to take steps to make sure the dogs don't chew on your charger cord. I strung mine from the ceiling with bike hooks. It's actually kind of cool that way because I never have to go over to the wall and unwrap the cord. I just pull up next to the hanging charger cord and plug it in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You can purchase a small device that is battery operated. This device will emit a sound that you cant hear but will keep rats away. I put one in the engine compartment of my CMax hybrid and it worked extremely well. Never had a problem. Im going to purchase one for my 2018 Bolt.

I also placed Tomcat poison rat bait traps around my home. I place peanut butter on the back side of the poison. Rats never make it to the car. They eat the bait and leave to die elsewhere. Very effective.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Didn't have rats... had Rabbit. It chewed the wired for the brake sensor.

Dealer says it is a major problem for him here in Denver. With hundreds of cars, their problems are even more challenging!

·
Registered
115 Posts

Same Here! Was prepping/ detailing the car after the winter season and opened the hood to find some lint fibers nicely nesting on the controller. Going to need more mouse traps in the garage!!!

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I also placed Tomcat poison rat bait traps around my home. I place peanut butter on the back side of the poison. Rats never make it to the car. They eat the bait and leave to die elsewhere. Very effective.
There are a number of very interesting YouTube videos showing how to make traps.

·
Registered
342 Posts
FROM AN ARTICLE AT MYTH BUSTING:

Ultrasonic Rodent Repeller
There are a handful of ultrasonic rodent repeller devices on the market. However, the truth of the matter is, none of these are effective. They will keep rodents away for a short period of time, but they are not the most efficient and best solution to rid yourself of your unwanted house guests.

One of the main issues when using an ultrasonic rodent repeller is the placement of the device. These repellers rely on electrical sockets to work. If there is no socket near where the rodent activity is in your home then the device will be completely ineffective.

As previously stated in this blog mice, and rats, are pretty resilient, as well as adaptable, creatures. Much like naphthalene, it is suggested that the frequency of ultrasonic sound waves needed to successfully repel rats and mice fully would be strong enough that it would cause damage and harm to humans and domestic animals. Because of this, commercial ultrasonic rodent repellers commonly available do not admit sound waves of this frequency, so they can be safe for human usage.

Using an ultrasonic mouse repeller may work for a short period of time, until the mouse learns to avoid the area affected by the ultrasonic sound waves, or simply adapts to the background noise.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Yes, Cat is all...

CAT...............That is all!
I have a "Calicat" who is the most deadly killer that I have ever seen. Large gophers, mice, anything that moves, are gone. The neighborhood loves our cat.

Reactions: drdiesel1

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
And they make for great co-pilots too (No? It just my cat? ;))
I'm not a fan of animals in front seats, but that's just too awesome. Would be great during traffic congestion.

Honestly, how do you avoid having accidents with the cat freely roaming like that? Doesn't the cat occasionally bother you and get in your way or block your view?

Also, isn't that dangerous for the cat should you emergency stop or something? Wouldn't a carrier or seat-belt-anchored harness be safer?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts