Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When driving over a bumpy road, my Bolt is making a noise as though something is loose in the steering. It sounds as though it's in the steering column. It seems worse depending on the angle I have the steering column adjusted. It's a bit hard to describe the sound, but I can reproduce the sound a bit when parked and just turning the wheel back and forth quickly. I plan to take it in to have the service department look at it, but curious if anyone else is encountering this?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes my Bolt EV purchased in January in the Bay Area developed this same rattle too at about 2,000 miles.

There is a little bit of play in the steering which is evident when stopped and wigging the wheel back-and-forth around the center point. This feels and sounds like the source of the rattle.

The change was noticeable to me and independently by my wife. I brought it into the dealer this morning (Boardwalk Chevrolet) to have them look at it.
@cew, did you get a resolution to this issue?

@Other Bolt owners with over 2,000 miles... have you experienced this issue?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Philip, the issue you are encountering sounds exactly like the one we are encountering. We have an appointment with the service department tomorrow (Thursday 5/25). I imagine they'll need to keep the car, but when we get it back I'll post an update.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I've got 6000kms (3600mi) on mine. Steering is still tight, but before the steering wheel was replaced (cosmetic defect) when turned about 90deg clockwise from center so the regen-on-demand paddle was up it would rattle if you tapped on the steering wheel. Discovered one day while drumming along to music and the steering wheel assembly was rattling. Only seemed to do it in that position and I haven't noticed the new one doing it.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
For @cew and @philip021 : it could be useful for other Bolt owners to know the manufacture date of your vehicles (delivery date can be waaaaay different from manufacture date, as some cars are pulled off the line for "QA quality control" for weeks).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steering play & rattle resolved!

At first the local dealer claimed that the play in the steering wheel wasn't an issue. I asked them to take another look, move the steering wheel back-and-forth around center while stopped, and to compare it with other Bolts.

They acknowledged the issue and were able to correct it, so it sounds and feels great again!

What was the issue and the repair? To quote the repair statement, "Check torque on [steering] shaft bolts. Found lower bolt insufficiently torqued. Torque bolts to proper specifications [..]. Road test okay @ this time". (See attached photo)

@SparkE what's the easiest way for me to find the date of manufacture? (The 10th character in the VIN is H, indicating 2017. The 12th character is the numeral 1, indicating not very much.)

- Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
According to DevBolt :

The production number is the last 6 digits of your VIN. Should be something like 130241 or 142657.

On a label on the inside of the door jamb on the driver's side will be the production month and year of your Bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Phillip021, thanks for the update on the fix. Our appointment has been moved to June 2nd, but I will be sure to share this info with the service department and I'm happy they fixed it for you! I look forward to having this fixed because it's driving me nuts.

The production number on mine is 153191. The production month and year is 3/17.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Steering issue resolved!

At first, the local dealer claimed that the play in the steering wheel wasn't an issue.

I asked them to take another look, to try moving the steering wheel back-and-forth around center while stopped, and to compare it with other Bolts.

They then acknowledged the issue, and were able to correct it, so it sounds and feels great again!

What was the root cause and the repair? To quote the repair statement, "Check torque on [steering] shaft bolts. Found lower bolt insufficiently torqued. Torque bolts to proper specifications [..]. Road test okay @ this time". (See attached photo)
@SparkE what's the easiest way for me to find the date of manufacture? (The 10th character in the VIN is H, indicating 2017. The 12th character is the numeral 1, indicating not very much.)

Best,
- Philip

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took my Bolt to the dealership today to have the steering issue looked into and it's fixed now! It sounds like a similar fix if not the same fix that resolved the issue for Philip's Bolt. Philip, thank you again. I gave them the info from your fix and I imagine that helped them diagnose and fix the problem. The car is so much nicer to drive now! It will be interesting to see if this problem becomes more widespread.
BoltSteeringFix.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Loose Lower Steering Shaft Bolt

I had the same problem. I brought it to dealership today, and they diagnosed the problem and fixed it in about an hour. I didn't see this post until afterwards, but luckily it's a simple fix. Correction was "torqued the bolt to specs". Driving is back to smooth as butter 0:)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
According to DevBolt :

The production number is the last 6 digits of your VIN. Should be something like 130241 or 142657.

On a label on the inside of the door jamb on the driver's side will be the production month and year of your Bolt.
I absolutely do NOT have a production date on the door or the pillar! Sticker placed on door states "Proudly assembled by Orion ... & a Union #" but no date is printed or written. The only other two stickers/plates are the tire pressure plate (door frame bottom) and one on the pillar which shows two vehicles in a crash (star between both front ends) and numbers to call from various countries. I have looked three times after getting responses on the Forum that "it is on the B pillar". It ain't on mine.

My production # is: 4159295

VIN = A Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) is the string of 17 numbers and letters that an automobile manufacturer assigns to an individual vehicle. The VIN can reveal a number of things about a car, including its airbag type, country of origin, engine size, model year and trim level. The info is used by your insurance agent to determine your insurance costs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Took my car in this morning to have this problem addressed. Have about 4200 miles and the steering has been exhibiting progressively noisier rattling in the last 2500 miles. In the last 500, looseness in the wheel was more evident. Noise is obvious at slow speeds but not at highway, presumably due to better gyroscopic stability/tracking of the front wheels at higher speeds. Repair time was 15 minutes following a ride with a mechanic who immediately recognized the looseness in the wheel and the rattling noise. Repair was tightening lower shaft bolt to spec and loctite application. Clear difference in the car when driving home, i.e. noise and looseness eliminated.

Production number is 158598 and manufacture date is 4/17.

Mechanic's repair notes attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
914 Posts
Funny how they don't want to touch it until they verify it.
Why is that ? They're not paid to guess what it might be. Without verification you could guess all day. Same as some do here when it comes to issues with their cars. Verification is the very first process to a proper and accurate repair.

It's bad enough when service writers are to lazy to properly document the complaint. Most just write vague statements like, "Check for rattle" and "Check steering" and even worse, "Customer hears noise" This is no exaggeration either. It's a daily occurrence and counter productive to customer satisfaction and completing an effective repair in a timely manner :eek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
About this Discussion
44 Replies
22 Participants
Sean Nelson
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing