Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2021Bolt
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did I miss a window. There is no way to read KWHR of charge in battery on one of the Bolt Windows? Directly? I guess you can count bars. You can read kwhr used.

So the only way is with a scanner? Searched site could not find answer.
Supposed to be 90%. One is a bit different.

it may be good to take a few KWHr readings before the new software gets installed

64.3kwhrs at 90%. It says whr but should be kwhr
.9 x66=59.4kwhr. So is high now for 90%.

The Volt had more info

here is a reading from MYVOLTControl Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Grille Motor vehicle

·
Registered
186 Posts
Did I miss a window. There is no way to read KWHR on the Bolt Windows? Directly? I guess you can count bars.
So the only way is with a scanner? Searched site could not find answer.
Supposed to be 90%. One is a bit different.

it may be good to take a few KWHr readings before the new software gets installed

64.3kwhrs at 90%. It says whr but should be kwhr
.9 x66=59.4kwhr. So is high now for 90%.

The Volt had more info

here is a reading from MYVOLTControl View attachment 37993
What is your specific question? You can easily access “KWH used” on the dashboard.

I measure and track each charging session. Two hours of L2 = ~15 KWH. And then I track what I use. Every 15 KWH of consumption, I recharge. For me, this equates to 60-80 miles of driving, depending on speed, driving style and time of year. My typical average during the last six weeks has been 78 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2021Bolt
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is your specific question? You can easily access “KWH used” on the dashboard.

I measure and track each charging session. Two hours of L2 = ~15 KWH. And then I track what I use. Every 15 KWH of consumption, I recharge. For me, this equates to 60-80 miles of driving, depending on speed, driving style and time of year. My typical average during the last six weeks has been 78 miles.

Tks
Should of clarified KWHR at SOC charge on battery. In first sentenence.
Yes I know about kwhr used. I found that.

only have had car for 4to 5 weeks
the post shows the example of 90% DOC and 63 kwhr at that SOC and %.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
You are not being given the most accurate information because all manufacturers, not just GM, long ago learned 99% of owners cannot accurately interpret it. What happens is they come to the Service Department complaining, "My new Whatever doesn't have as high oil pressure/KWHr/SOC as my buddies. I want a new engine/battery." To prevent this annoyance, dashboard gauges on ICEs, readouts on EVs are dumbed down to vague generalities. That's as much as the great unwashed can handle; for most owners, less information is more comfortable.

jack vines

·
Registered
2021Bolt
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
AFAIK you have to count the bars. Each bar = 5% SOC.
So if the new software changes the relation between KWHR per each bar there is no way anyone will know. Unless they scan it with a reader like the one I posted.
well you will know somewhat from kwhr used, but that’s still sort of a indirect reading.

Then again I can’t say how accurate the app I posted is. But the fellows on the FB Volt site could. They know all that software stuff. GDS2 and what not.

maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but

·
Registered
186 Posts
There is no kWh remaining PID.

The good news is that your 2021 Bolt, at 191.42 Ah, is only 1.5% lower capacity than I saw on two brand new 2022 Bolts, sitting at our local dealership.
What is a typical Ah reading for 2017-19 Bolts, @GJETSON? Thank you.

·
Registered
396 Posts
So if the new software changes the relation between KWHR per each bar there is no way anyone will know. Unless they scan it with a reader like the one I posted.
well you will know somewhat from kwhr used, but that’s still sort of a indirect reading.

Then again I can’t say how accurate the app I posted is. But the fellows on the FB Volt site could. They know all that software stuff. GDS2 and what not.

maybe I am being a bit paranoid, but
The bars never had a direct relationship to kWh; they indicate % of charge, and even then only to the nearest 5%. And to further distance it from a kWh value, it is X% of whatever the the full pack happens to be.

·
Registered
2021Bolt
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The bars never had a direct relationship to kWh; they indicate % of charge, and even then only to the nearest 5%. And to further distance it from a kWh value, it is X% of whatever the the full pack happens to be.
So the GOM is not the only one guessing about the current battery capacity

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
What is a typical Ah reading for 2017-19 Bolts, @GJETSON? Thank you.

Probably 165-170 Ah? Highest I ever saw for our Bolt, back in 2018, was 180 Ah. Here is a spreadsheet started some time ago. Problem is we started with kWh which has different formulas, depending on who is deciding. The Ah PID is official GM capacity.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Probably 165-170 Ah? Highest I ever saw for our Bolt, back in 2018, was 180 Ah. Here is a spreadsheet started some time ago. Problem is we started with kWh which has different formulas, depending on who is deciding. The Ah PID is official GM capacity.

Do you know if Sean’s last update (12/2020?) to the ‘17-‘19 formula closely approximated the results from a run down test? In an email about 6 weeks ago, he provided me with what was his best guess at the time for an updated 2020+ formula. ((A*256)+B)/300 FWIW, my 2020 shows 184Ah at 15k miles.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Do you know if Sean’s last update (12/2020?) to the ‘17-‘19 formula closely approximated the results from a run down test? In an email about 6 weeks ago, he provided me with what was his best guess at the time for an updated 2020+ formula. ((A*256)+B)/300 FWIW, my 2020 shows 184Ah at 15k miles.
I determined my own formula that seems close for our Bolt. GM Ah capacity x 350.65 nominal volts per GM service manual for 2017-2018 x 0.0009134 to convert to observed usable kWh from theoretical Wh.

Make up your own if you want to join in the fun. I don't really care about the usable kWh capacity anyway. The official Ah PID is what is used for the warranty. On a long drive, once I hit three orange bars, I look at the GOM worst case number, Google maps distance, and my Torque Pro DIC SoC number to see how fast I can drive to the charger.

·
Registered
186 Posts

Thank you! I’m at at 168.20 Ah in my 2018. But perhaps that’s going to change soon.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Y'alls harshing my mellow about the Bolt...I just did everything wrong in charging on a trip from Eureka to Florence, Oregon. Charged overnight at a charger installed right next to the building, went to 100%, drove it down to less than 60 miles left.
I really hope there isn't much degradation in the battery over time, we intend to keep this great car for several years.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
You are not being given the most accurate information because all manufacturers, not just GM, long ago learned 99% of owners cannot accurately interpret it. What happens is they come to the Service Department complaining, "My new Whatever doesn't have as high oil pressure/KWHr/SOC as my buddies. I want a new engine/battery." To prevent this annoyance, dashboard gauges on ICEs, readouts on EVs are dumbed down to vague generalities. That's as much as the great unwashed can handle; for most owners, less information is more comfortable.

jack vines
That's why Tesla has no GOM. They display either battery % or range which is calculated by a hardcoded formula (kWh times a static miles-per-kWh figure). They do have a projected range but it is deeper in the (charging) menu. There are pros-cons to both. At first, I didn't like the range indicator on the Model 3 because it didn't take into account my driving habits nor would it "reward" me with a higher figure if I hypermiled. But once I got used to the Tesla hardcoded range estimate, I actually like that better. Mainly because I don't get penalized for using the heater once a month or the one time a week I need to sit in a parking lot and wait to pick up someone, etc. And if you want to know your battery degradation, you can actually see it directly in the range figure.

Mike

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Y'alls harshing my mellow about the Bolt...I just did everything wrong in charging on a trip from Eureka to Florence, Oregon. Charged overnight at a charger installed right next to the building, went to 100%, drove it down to less than 60 miles left.
(y)
I probably sound a lot more harsh than I am, for the sake of making a point. I'm sitting at 100% right now and will get well below 60 miles left by the time I get to Kingman. Will repeat on the way back in a few days. I'm chill.
I really hope there isn't much degradation in the battery over time, we intend to keep this great car for several years.
Why worry about your current battery when you'll be getting a new one... unless GM's plans go up in smoke. (Sorry, couldn't resist)

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
(y)
I probably sound a lot more harsh than I am, for the sake of making a point. I'm sitting at 100% right now and will get well below 60 miles left by the time I get to Kingman. Will repeat on the way back in a few days. I'm chill.

Why worry about your current battery when you'll be getting a new one... unless GM's plans go up in smoke. (Sorry, couldn't resist)
Are the new ones free from degradation?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts