Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DickW posted the following elsewhere, and I am creating a new thread for him :

Not sure how to start a thread so I thought I would try my question here? Ready to lease a bolt. Don’t need all the reasons why not to lease. Just need a few questions answered. My needs are to go from Phx az to Yuma. Phx to Flagtaff. Phx to Tucson. Phx to San Diego and Phx to Las Vegas. Anyone done these trips and charged. Have plug share,chargepoint and green lots app. Looking for actual info from someone who has really done this not general info responses.
Been researching for several months now and I am ready, but don’t need conversation I am looking for solid info.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
I applaud you for not being a Bolt owner or lessor, but being on the Forum since November and now with 521 posts! That is the definition of "due diligence". I am guessing that no matter which way your "gut" leads you, you will be happy with your decision.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I applaud you for not being a Bolt owner or lessor, but being on the Forum since November and now with 521 posts! That is the definition of "due diligence". I am guessing that no matter which way your "gut" leads you, you will be happy with your decision.
I think SparkE is a Spark EV owner, so very well informed EV enthusiast. The "OP" is actually DickW who posted in another thread stating they didn't know how to start a thread. I think SparkE is assisting.

Reactions: surgeonFWW

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think SparkE is a Spark EV owner, so very well informed EV enthusiast. The "OP" is actually DickW who posted in another thread stating they didn't know how to start a thread. I think SparkE is assisting.
Yup, yup, and yup.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,729 Posts
Sorry, SparkEV. I was not being critical, but I WAS unclear as to who was posting what. (sheepish grin)!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Phoenix to San Diego is about 360 miles. Phoenix to Las Vegas is about 300 miles. Both of these very long drives will require a minimum of one long stop for recharging out in the hot desert. The Bolt isn't well suited for long distance drives. Consider some other vehicle. Or wait a few years, until EVs with more range (including the 2019 Bolt) are on the market. Also: the Bolt isn't the best highway cruiser. It's better suited to in-town driving or short distance freeway driving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
At typical highway speeds may require two charging stops. For example Phoenix to Los Angeles is 370 miles and people typically drive at 85 mph. At 85 mph can expect range to be less than 170 miles. It maybe difficult to find working high speed chargers in the desert.

If you really like the Bolt then renting a car for these trips might be a better option.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will emphasize (underline) a sentence from Dick's post : Looking for actual info from someone who has really done this not general info responses.

While I was tempted to point out general info - such as how a TeslaTap could be useful - (Dick, feel free to contact me if you wish) I didn't do so since he specifically requested no general info. My impression was that he wanted to hear from people driving EVs around Phoenix and neighboring cities.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I have not tried these with my Bolt but do with the Volt. The dead spot in the desert is a fast charger in the Quartzsite/ Blythe area. Plenty in Palm Springs but not sure can make from Phoenix.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just drove my Bolt from Phoenix to LA two weeks ago. From Chandler (SE Valley) to Blythe is approximately 175 miles, while driving at around 75-77 MPH. I stayed overnight at the Red Roof Inn in Blythe, which allowed me to plug in my portable L2 EVSE into their NEMA 14-50 plug. From there, it's about 140 miles to Palm Desert, where the sea of plentiful Quick Chargers begins. It would be great if EVGo would install a Quick Charger in Blythe or Quartzite. I would bet Blythe is easier, as it may be easier to get installation funding help in CA versus AZ.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Some additional details: My miles from Chandler, AZ to Blythe was 179, and my Bolt estimated I had about 35 miles left of range when I reached the Blythe Hotel, so I don't believe it's practical to make it to the first available DC charger in Coachella, which is about 100 miles further. You could only do it by slowing down to very unsafe speeds for I-10, all the way from Phoenix to Blythe. There are not even any DC fast chargers conveniently placed on the outskirts of Phoenix to give you a boost before the long stretch of I-10.

And, once in Blythe, I would recommend waiting for an approximately 80% charge before proceeding, to give some cushion in case the Coachella charger is unavailable. There is very little to do in Blythe, and that charge will take about 4-6 hours. Outside of the hotel, there are free public Chargepoint L2 Chargers in Downtown Blythe at their City Hall area. Either way, this is not a convenient stop at all, and would not be a trip easily done on a regular basis.

Some advice when doing a trip like this:
1) Make sure you have more than enough charge to make it to the next charger.
2) Get the Plugshare app, which displays chargers from different providers, as well as NEMA 14-50 'RV style' outlets you can use (if you are equipped for this).
3) Have multiple charging options to choose from (Plan A and Plan B, etc). Chargers can be out of service or busy or 'ICE'd
4) Consider purchasing a portable L2 EVSE that supports 240V 32A charging, with a NEMA 14-50 plug. Mine cost about $350 from Ebay
5) Get the Chargepoint, Blink, EVGO cards from these vendors. Set them up with the online account, they all have free membership options
- evGO DC Chargers have been the most reliable for me, by far (in my 6 years of EV experience). They are plentiful in the LA Area.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts