Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
We will be embarking on a road trip to Hampton, VA, up through Wilmington, DE, and home this upcoming Saturday. I'll be vlogging the trip and will share the results with the group. Just a heads up, I'm NOT a fast driver, and keep to a max of 55 mph. We won't be pushing the limits of the battery, as were using ABRP to plan the stops, have a deep distrust of EA, and will be making sure we have backups to the backups on our inaugural long distance journey. Still, we should be able to report something useful.

Reactions: NewsCoulomb

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
We will be embarking on a road trip to Hampton, VA, up through Wilmington, DE, and home this upcoming Saturday. I'll be vlogging the trip and will share the results with the group. Just a heads up, I'm NOT a fast driver, and keep to a max of 55 mph. We won't be pushing the limits of the battery, as were using ABRP to plan the stops, have a deep distrust of EA, and will be making sure we have backups to the backups on our inaugural long distance journey. Still, we should be able to report something useful.
At 55 mph, you're likely to be able to make it all the way to Wilmington on a single charge. Depending on where home is, how long you're going to be in Wilmington, and whether you have access to convenient L2 AC, you might be able to bypass DC fast charging altogether for that trip.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Wolfy, I'll be interested in your real-world experiences on your trip. Disclaimer; based on quite a bit of reports I've seen on assorted trip videos, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the realiability of the EA chargers out there.

Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
At 55 mph, you're likely to be able to make it all the way to Wilmington on a single charge. Depending on where home is, how long you're going to be in Wilmington, and whether you have access to convenient L2 AC, you might be able to bypass DC fast charging altogether for that trip.
This will be from Akron, OH. As much fun as it would be to run nonstop, that will be impossible. We did pick a hotel with a L2 charger, so when we do leave, it'll be with a full battery. Return trip will be routed through Wilmington, DE.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wolfy, I'll be interested in your real-world experiences on your trip. Disclaimer; based on quite a bit of reports I've seen on assorted trip videos, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the realiability of the EA chargers out there.

Rich
Ironically, I just had a lenghty conversation with one of the support people with EA. Something was said was that according to GM, those of us with the 2020 Bolt no longer need to lift the connector when initiating a charge session. I told him that we will let them know if that's the case on our trip. With that, I did force ABRP to use charging stations with a score of 8 or better on plugshare, so we should in theory have mitigated infrastructure issues as much as possible. I did tell the guy that we're gonna have a mission for them if they're up for it - perfect charge sessions from Akron, OH, to Modesto, CA and back next spring. That's going to be a fun trip.

Reactions: paulgipe

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
This will be from Akron, OH. As much fun as it would be to run nonstop, that will be impossible. We did pick a hotel with a L2 charger, so when we do leave, it'll be with a full battery. Return trip will be routed through Wilmington, DE.
Ah, yes. If you're heading back to Akron, then you're going to need multiple stops. I could probably map it out, but at 55 mph, unless you're heavily using climate control, you'll be getting close to 4.5 mi/kWh (close to 300 miles per charge).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah, yes. If you're heading back to Akron, then you're going to need multiple stops. I could probably map it out, but at 55 mph, unless you're heavily using climate control, you'll be getting close to 4.5 mi/kWh (close to 300 miles per charge).
Our average so far has been 4.9 mw/kWh with our drving style. Our stops are a bit conservative as while good, isn't up to the par you get out on the west coast as of yet. Our longest stretch on ABRP with our trip between stops is 215 miles.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Our average so far has been 4.9 mw/kWh with our drving style. Our stops are a bit conservative as while good, isn't up to the par you get out on the west coast as of yet. Our longest stretch on ABRP with our trip between stops is 215 miles.
Yes, 215 miles between DCFC is quite a stretch, but you've got the right driving style for it. The good thing about the 2020 Bolt EV versus previous models is that when you do want to charge up past 70%, it does so far more quickly than the 2017 to 2019 Bolt EV. I'd have to go back and check my logs again, but I believe I was still pulling ~20 kW at 90% battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'd have to go back and check my logs again, but I believe I was still pulling ~20 kW at 90% battery
I think that's correct. Watched a video recently where they were eating so they left their 2020 plugged in at an EA station for about 75 minutes. Returned and it was at 91% and still pulling 21 kW.

EDIT: Just realized I'm talking about @Ste, so I'll credit him for sharing that knowledge.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip! Are you going through Richmond / DC / Baltimore or up along the eastern shore of VA and through all of Delaware?

I've taken the route through the eastern shore when going from NJ to the Outer Banks, NC. The DC route might be less distance with more chargers, but the eastern shore route will definitely be less traffic and more relaxing, and there are several ChargePoint DCFC locations along that route that worked flawlessly for me.

I'm interested to see what your experience is like going through PA to NE Ohio. I would like to take the Bolt home to see my parents (Trenton NJ to NE Ohio), and some of the EA stations along I-80 seem hit-or-miss. Although if you're leaving from Wilmington, you might take the I-76 route.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Sounds like a nice trip! Are you going through Richmond / DC / Baltimore or up along the eastern shore of VA and through all of Delaware?

I've taken the route through the eastern shore when going from NJ to the Outer Banks, NC. The DC route might be less distance with more chargers, but the eastern shore route will definitely be less traffic and more relaxing, and there are several ChargePoint DCFC locations along that route that worked flawlessly for me.

I'm interested to see what your experience is like going through PA to NE Ohio. I would like to take the Bolt home to see my parents (Trenton NJ to NE Ohio), and some of the EA stations along I-80 seem hit-or-miss. Although if you're leaving from Wilmington, you might take the I-76 route.
Yes, we will be taking the I-76 route. I have used the charging station at Youngstown with good results, and it's plugshare score remains high. When I did my route plan, I looked up the plugshare scores of each charger that ABRP chose for me to stop at, and forced it to reroute to high scoring stations. This is something that you may want to try as you plan a drive to NE Ohio.

Reactions: neutrondrip

·
Registered
438 Posts
"I looked up the plugshare scores of each charger that ABRP chose for me to stop at, and forced it to reroute to high scoring stations."

Wolfy, I suggest you need to read what is written for low scoring sites. Many are downgraded solely due to a lack of CHAdeMO chargers, which are not an issue for us.

Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
"I looked up the plugshare scores of each charger that ABRP chose for me to stop at, and forced it to reroute to high scoring stations."

Wolfy, I suggest you need to read what is written for low scoring sites. Many are downgraded solely due to a lack of CHAdeMO chargers, which are not an issue for us.

Rich
I understand it. I've hammered EA because of their CHAdeMO issues. Still, on this trip, I'm wanting to minimize the chances for problems.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Does anyone know whether PlugShare's route planner lets you filter out charging sites with low scores from the trip plan? I don't recall, and I'm not familiar because I don't use their route planner. They are the source of the rating scores, so I'd think they'd have access and the ability to filter that data.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Does anyone know whether PlugShare's route planner lets you filter out charging sites with low scores from the trip plan? I don't recall, and I'm not familiar because I don't use their route planner. They are the source of the rating scores, so I'd think they'd have access and the ability to filter that data.

I'll have to check this out

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yes, we will be taking the I-76 route. I have used the charging station at Youngstown with good results, and it's plugshare score remains high. When I did my route plan, I looked up the plugshare scores of each charger that ABRP chose for me to stop at, and forced it to reroute to high scoring stations. This is something that you may want to try as you plan a drive to NE Ohio.
Thanks. Youngstown is practically home for me, so I'm more interested in the Bloomsburg / DuBois / Clarion stations on I-80 or the Bedford station on I-76.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Eric, I've found that you have to run your proposed route a few times, altering the available options PlugShare offers. If you filter out low scores initially (which you certainly can do in PlugShare) you will remove perfectly good operating EA sites which are having CHAdeMO issues, or sites which were down but are now up and running according to the most current users.

I use both PlugShare and ABRP (Classic, just can't get the new version to even work for me!!) side by side (I have a dual screen computer setup). They work well in conjunction with each other.

Another "trick" in PlugShare is to use the Google Map option (click on "View Directions" found under the list of stops in your planned trip route). Makes the route of travel quite clear.

Rich

·
Registered
54 Posts
One thing that Plugshare does not take into account that I'm aware of like ABRP does, is weather and terrain.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
One thing that Plugshare does not take into account that I'm aware of like ABRP does, is weather and terrain.
Those have to be programmed into ABRP, correct?

The elevation could be on by default, I suppose, but I wonder whether that also contributes to ABRP's inaccuracy when estimating the Bolt EV's efficiency. It's quite hard to calculate regenerative braking efficiency, but the Bolt EV's appears to be at least 80% efficient.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Those have to be programmed into ABRP, correct?

The elevation could be on by default, I suppose, but I wonder whether that also contributes to ABRP's inaccuracy when estimating the Bolt EV's efficiency. It's quite hard to calculate regenerative braking efficiency, but the Bolt EV's appears to be at least 80% efficient.
No. ABRP accounts for terrain on all routes. If you sign up for a subscription to the site, they add real time weather to the route plan and adjust.

As for ABRPs differences. On higher speed routes where my 55 mph max rule has me a right lane camper, I've seen as much as a 15% difference between their estimates and what I had on our LEAF, despite me inserting the 55mph max into their settings. Part of the mindset of this trip is to see how it fares with our Bolt, and to decide if it's worthwhile to tweak efficiency settings to better represent my driving style. On our LEAF, I decided to leave it alone, only to trade the car in a week later.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts