Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,650 Posts
...It's quite hard to calculate regenerative braking efficiency, but the Bolt EV's appears to be at least 80% efficient.
After doing some of my own testing I've come to the conclusion that it's around 67% efficient, that's the number I use for planning purposes because it's an easy number (2/3) to work with.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
After doing some of my own testing I've come to the conclusion that it's around 67% efficient, that's the number I use for planning purposes because it's an easy number (2/3) to work with.
When I've run the numbers for myself, I got well over 70%, but I don't have a huge amount of confidence in those figures. Regenerative braking efficiency is likely to fall into a range based on a number of conditions rather than a set % that can be counted on at all times. Battery temperature, SoC, C rate, duration, etc.

The biggest hurdle I've encountered in attempts to accurately calculate the regenerative braking efficiency is identifying potential energy. I think the only way to truly get an accurate reading of the Bolt EV (or any EV's) regenerative braking efficiency is to put it on some sort of reverse dyno that can calculate the amount of energy applied to the drive wheels. At that point, the calculation is easy. "We've fed 1 kWh of energy to the drive wheels, and the regenerative braking system added .XX kWh to the battery."

41 - 42 of 42 Posts