Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I picked up my 2020 LT from the dealer in Fontana, California on 7 March, the steering wheel has been about 5 degrees off center to the left. With the COVID craziness, today was literally the first day I've had off mid-week to be able to take it down to Watson to have them fix it. To their credit, they took the car straight back while I waited (the service department was mostly deserted), and had it done in about 45 minutes. So get in, fire her up, and head for home. To find that the steering was still about 4 degrees off center to the left. Sheesh. It's now 5:00 p.m. So back I go. They were nice enough to call me an Uber to get home (no courtesy shuttle during C-19), but now I have to drive my truck to work tomorrow and Uber back down there (about $25) to pick it up late tomorrow afternoon.

I can't complain that much, but really, how hard is it to center the steering?

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I can't complain that much, but really, how hard is it to center the steering?
Had that issue years ago on another vehicle. From what I could tell, they tie off the steering and put the car on a lift. From the elevated platform of the alignment machine, they can't tell if the steering wheel is straight. So yeah, it seems to be harder than it should be.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Years ago, I had a VW Bug (1962?), and the steering wheel was not centered. I took a ride with a VW mechanic (those were the pre-lawyer days!), and we cruised along a level street, and while driving straight ahead, he took the steering wheel off its splines and put it back on centered. Try that today!

Reactions: XJ12 and PhilBo
1 - 4 of 4 Posts