Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
24000km and 12 months old, noticed strange creaking noises coming from
Rear of vehicle at low speeds in reverse or forward motion. Not just on bumps, more just in motion. Dealer needed 1 week to diagnose and I’m getting a new axel next week. Strange. Noise sounded like two heavy metal hangers banging behind driver seat.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
A squeaking noise doesn't sound like an axle failure, but it does sound like a lack of lube. Somebody on here recently had their front anti-roll bar links replaced for dry, squeaking joints. Insufficient lube, bads seals. Come on GM, that stuff is not rocket science.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Crabby Ermine I might have missed it but did the new axle correct your issue. I am having a similar issue
"creaking noises coming from Rear of vehicle" after 3 days at the dealership for diagnosing / duplicating
they too have ordered a new axle. Car is scheduled for repair tomorrow 11-14-18
2017 LT @ 21,904 build date 09/17

·
Registered
786 Posts
Axel is a figure skating term.

Axle is what broke on your Bolt !
Axel is also a male's name. I know two Axels.

My vehicles have no rear axles. They have spindles where the wheel rotors ride on. I wonder if the Bolt EV was the same as it is a common design for FWD vehicles. AWD vehicles do have a rear axle.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Crabby Ermine I might have missed it but did the new axle correct your issue. I am having a similar issue
"creaking noises coming from Rear of vehicle" after 3 days at the dealership for diagnosing / duplicating
they too have ordered a new axle. Car is scheduled for repair tomorrow 11-14-18
2017 LT @ 21,904 build date 09/17
today, the mechanics are trying to isolate the creaking noise so they can order parts.

they might need to keep the car another day. they're calling back in about 30 minutes to let me know.

my car was built 09/17 also.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thank you for the “quote” information, I will keep that in mind.

Raymondjram you might be correct as I was using the term rear axle loosely from what the dealer had told me.
Not really sure what all has been ordered but I will tonight after picking the car up
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev/lt-trim/electric-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat
service department said they isolated my creaking to a "bushing" on the rear passenger suspension. and said bushing has to be ordered as part of an assembly that's on a "back order" type status. the service manager speculated that the part was being redesigned and the parts have been pulled from inventory so it might be awhile. thought they might know more by next week.

got the car back while they sort it out. he mentioned they called the GM mothership (my words) and it appears they know what the issue is.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Xj12 for the response and I did pass this on to my dealership here in Ohio as well. I know they tried verifying all torque specs along with what I think was new shocks. The issue was still present and from what I was told they too have spoken to the mother ship and ordered additional parts. I picked the car up late Friday and the service tec working on the car is off until Monday so I will talk with him then. Same as you I have the car back until parts arrive. Once I know more I will post the results. Again thanks for the information I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Thanks Xj12 for the response and I did pass this on to my dealership here in Ohio as well. I know they tried verifying all torque specs along with what I think was new shocks. The issue was still present and from what I was told they too have spoken to the mother ship and ordered additional parts. I picked the car up late Friday and the service tec working on the car is off until Monday so I will talk with him then. Same as you I have the car back until parts arrive. Once I know more I will post the results. Again thanks for the information I really appreciate it.
Did you ever hear back? I just got the call that the "axle" is in. Taking in Monday for the warranty work.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I was using the term rear axle loosely from what the dealer had told me.
Not really sure what all has been ordered but I will tonight after picking the car up
https://www.gmpartscenter.net/auto-parts/2017/chevrolet/bolt-ev/lt-trim/electric-engine/rear-suspension-cat/rear-suspension-scat

Yup. GM is calling it an axle, so it is an axle. I believe I read that it is actually the metal sleeved, rubber pivot bushings that are making the noise. Before I'd replace all that, I try spraying the bushings, coil spring insulators, shock mounts, etc. with lube. But I guess the shops make more if they just replace whole parts. Seems like a disgusting waste to me...a totally brain-dead culture.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I figured they would have my car for days to replace the axle assembly. They did the work in one day. Took it in at 8:00 AM and they called to say it was ready before 4:00 PM. Now I have an ICE vehicle with nearly a full tank.

They mentioned that the axle assembly was $1,200 and that it was a good thing it was under warranty.

My response was that I could live with the creaking noise if I had to pay that much.

Bottom-line, the service was great and the noise was eliminated completely. I was also surprised that they charged the car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi our US friends! I am a member of Chevy Bolt club in Ukraine & Poland (EU). We faced the same issue with axle on our 2017 year cars. The dealers did not help, because they are not official GM dealers here who just ship and sell cars from the USA, poor service. We decided to help our clubmates and try to fix the problem ourselves. What we need... is a used axle for testing and modifications. Is it possible to find and order a used axle in the USA or maybe your dealer left the old defected axle for you as a souvenir? We'll pay for the shipping. If you can find a used one, we can agree about the price. Spending over $1K for a new one is too much. Thanks. My mail address is [email protected]

·
Registered
637 Posts
@Val sorry to hear that you don't have good warranty support for your Bolts there.

I never had this issue, and only know what you do by reading this thread.
I do know that in the us parts replaced under warranty, especially on a newer vehicle like the Bolt, typically are returned to the factory for analysis and supplier resolution.

I would be very surprised if anyone has a used axle.

My suggestion would be to check junk yards for a crashed Bolt that is being parted out. Or eBay.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had a similar issue -- don't know if it was the same sound -- on my '19 Bolt about 6000 miles in. You can hear the sound in the short video here:
The ping / creak was occurring at lower speeds (and usually in warmer weather), and primarily when there was differential stress on the rear suspension - bump on one side, not on the other, etc. After a couple visits, the dealership finally concluded that the noise was coming from the rear axle. They said it is a "double walled" axle, and that one of the walls was flexing into the other under certain circumstances, which made the noise. They apparently had to call GM Tech Advisory Center to help with the final diagnosis (my repair form (see below) indicates "TAC 9-5417628243" associated with this repair). Replaced the whole axle (under warranty) on recommendation of GM. Just got it back, and noise is gone (thank goodness). Hope that helps someone.

IMG_20190820_114456.jpg

·
Registered
564 Posts
I had a similar issue -- don't know if it was the same sound -- on my '19 Bolt about 6000 miles in. You can hear the sound in the short video here:
The ping / creak was occurring at lower speeds (and usually in warmer weather), and primarily when there was differential stress on the rear suspension - bump on one side, not on the other, etc. After a couple visits, the dealership finally concluded that the noise was coming from the rear axle. They said it is a "double walled" axle, and that one of the walls was flexing into the other under certain circumstances, which made the noise. They apparently had to call GM Tech Advisory Center to help with the final diagnosis (my repair form (see below) indicates "TAC 9-5417628243" associated with this repair). Replaced the whole axle (under warranty) on recommendation of GM. Just got it back, and noise is gone (thank goodness). Hope that helps someone.

View attachment 26978
Thanks for posting the video, I think this is exactly the sound I’ve been hearing on ours as well, and in the exact same wheel area. Problem is, I think I’ve begun hearing it on the driver side front as well. But all the same, I’ve finally eked out some time in my schedule to bring it to the dealer next week. The sounds have gotten worse in this warm weather.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts