Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck with it. Drove my regular 90-mile RT commute today in the repaired Bolt, and despite mild PTSD symptoms whenever I went over a bump at low speeds, I never did hear the sound. For now, the axle replacement seems to have made the difference.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Good luck with it. Drove my regular 90-mile RT commute today in the repaired Bolt, and despite mild PTSD symptoms whenever I went over a bump at low speeds, I never did hear the sound. For now, the axle replacement seems to have made the difference.
I brought it in yesterday, and they have now kicked it up to “GM Engineering” because they couldn’t figure out what was wrong with it. Bolt is still with them. I’m having withdrawal symptoms. (The loaner is a Malibu.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same rear axle noise on my 2017 Bolt, and it is very low mileage at ~9,000. The service department took several days to isolate the noise via largely a process of elimination, swapping out many components in the process - when they finally identified it, they brought me into the shop and demonstrated the clunk while the car was on the lift. The axle is designed to flex. By applying upward pressure (a jack) on one side of the axle, they can replicate clunk/click - it comes directly from the axle itself. They speculated that I probably heard the sound most often when one wheel goes high, torquing the axle vertically - running over a bump on one side, for example. Insofar as I can tell, that is correct. While the service dept does not believe that it presents a safety issue (after all, I have the "clunker" back, they have ordered the replacement to be installed in a few days. My car was the first one into the dealership with the problem, however, during the remainder of the week, 3 others came in for the issue.

They pointed out that since the Bolt is so quiet, and since the sound insulation is less than most cars, noises like this are more perceptible. But there was no hesitation on their part to order the replacement since they don't have enough history with the axle to know if it would pose a downstream hazard.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have the same rear axle noise on my 2017 Bolt, and it is very low mileage at ~9,000. The service department took several days to isolate the noise via largely a process of elimination, swapping out many components in the process - when they finally identified it, they brought me into the shop and demonstrated the clunk while the car was on the lift. The axle is designed to flex. By applying upward pressure (a jack) on one side of the axle, they can replicate clunk/click - it comes directly from the axle itself. They speculated that I probably heard the sound most often when one wheel goes high, torquing the axle vertically - running over a bump on one side, for example. Insofar as I can tell, that is correct. While the service dept does not believe that it presents a safety issue (after all, I have the "clunker" back, they have ordered the replacement to be installed in a few days. My car was the first one into the dealership with the problem, however, during the remainder of the week, 3 others came in for the issue.

They pointed out that since the Bolt is so quiet, and since the sound insulation is less than most cars, noises like this are more perceptible. But there was no hesitation on their part to order the replacement since they don't have enough history with the axle to know if it would pose a downstream hazard.
You bring up a good point here. I’ve actually done the last 2 tire rotations myself using a floor jack in the garage, and I’ve reliably been able to replicate the clunk / tink / annoying noise every time I jack that side of the vehicle up. As it turns out though, the Bolt is still with them and haven’t gotten back to me yet as to what they think is going on.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Quick update: just got the Bolt back today. GM Engineering has suggested... A rear axle replacement. Part ordered, hopefully arrives at the dealer next week so I can bring it back to get it installed.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yup. GM is calling it an axle, so it is an axle. I believe I read that it is actually the metal sleeved, rubber pivot bushings that are making the noise. Before I'd replace all that, I try spraying the bushings, coil spring insulators, shock mounts, etc. with lube. But I guess the shops make more if they just replace whole parts. Seems like a disgusting waste to me...a totally brain-dead culture.
Axel is also a male's name. I know two Axels.

My vehicles have no rear axles. They have spindles where the wheel rotors ride on. I wonder if the Bolt EV was the same as it is a common design for FWD vehicles. AWD vehicles do have a rear axle.
Keep in mind our bolts do not, unfortunately, come with an independent rear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a similar issue -- don't know if it was the same sound -- on my '19 Bolt about 6000 miles in. You can hear the sound in the short video here:
The ping / creak was occurring at lower speeds (and usually in warmer weather), and primarily when there was differential stress on the rear suspension - bump on one side, not on the other, etc. After a couple visits, the dealership finally concluded that the noise was coming from the rear axle. They said it is a "double walled" axle, and that one of the walls was flexing into the other under certain circumstances, which made the noise. They apparently had to call GM Tech Advisory Center to help with the final diagnosis (my repair form (see below) indicates "TAC 9-5417628243" associated with this repair). Replaced the whole axle (under warranty) on recommendation of GM. Just got it back, and noise is gone (thank goodness). Hope that helps someone.

View attachment 26978
  1. Thanks to your efforts and your amazing post (with audio demo), we were able to get the dealer to order the parts for rear axle failure. Not sure how to thank you...

·
Registered
10 Posts
  1. Thanks to your efforts and your amazing post (with audio demo), we were able to get the dealer to order the parts for rear axle failure. Not sure how to thank you...
Fantastic! Glad it helped. I've been happy with the replacement so far -- hope it stays the same for you.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Forgot to update - got the Bolt back a while back and I’ve not heard a peep from the rear suspension ever since. Bliss! Thanks again to @sjdprods for helping the cause along. Highly recommend that anyone with an unusual noise use the video / audio posted earlier in this thread as a reference point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Forgot to update - got the Bolt back a while back and I’ve not heard a peep from the rear suspension ever since. Bliss! Thanks again to @sjdprods for helping the cause along. Highly recommend that anyone with an unusual noise use the video / audio posted earlier in this thread as a reference point.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Love the chevybolt.org forum as a resource to share info. Encountered noise from right rear similar to that recorded in earlier video. Appointment scheduled tomorrow at Weseloh Chevrolet, Carlsbad, CA (dealer where ‘19 Bolt EV LT purchased). Coming up on 37K miles. Will share my findings with Service Department and post results after their evaluation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE to my post (11/12/19)

Politely received at 7A by Service Consultant, Oscar Chavez. Gave him a history of my '19 Bolt EV LT, three tire rotations, no issues other than noise from right rear noticed about 2 months ago and getting louder. I referred to rear axel video posted by sjdprods and replayed it for Oscar offering him a ride around that he might hear it himself (noise was audibly evident in one 360 degree turn in the service area). Oscar had the GM TAC no. 9-5417628243 as I gave this to Dealer when I set up today's appointment. Next step offered by Oscar was to leave vehicle for Bolt Tech to evaluate problem. I was prepared to wait a few hours, but was informed that Dealer has only one qualified Tech for Bolts/Volts and that this Tech was "backed up." Oscar could not tell me whether my car would be looked at today, said maybe tomorrow, but provided no "certainty" when Tech would be able to evaluate or confirm problem. Dealer does not offer loaners. I understand $$$ association with a loaner program and am prepared to rent a car, but given the uncertainty of when and how long this initial Tech evaluation will take, I will schedule an appointment for the evaluation late next March '20 when I have access to our other car (a BMW i3 Rex). Hopefully Dealer can give me assurance that my '19 Bolt EV LT will be looked at within a more reasonable time frame then.

Oscar mentioned he personally has a Volt and Bolt. Great vehicles (two of my associates have Volts), but the lack of sufficient Dealer Technicians for these cars is troubling.

Bottom line. No Tech evaluation yet.

More posts to follow until the issue is resolved in my saga.

·
Registered
610 Posts

Politely received at 7A by Service Consultant, Oscar Chavez. Gave him a history of my '19 Bolt EV LT, three tire rotations, no issues other than noise from right rear noticed about 2 months ago and getting louder. I referred to rear axel video posted by sjdprods and replayed it for Oscar offering him a ride around that he might hear it himself (noise was audibly evident in one 360 degree turn in the service area). Oscar had the GM TAC no. 9-5417628243 as I gave this to Dealer when I set up today's appointment. Next step offered by Oscar was to leave vehicle for Bolt Tech to evaluate problem. I was prepared to wait a few hours, but was informed that Dealer has only one qualified Tech for Bolts/Volts and that this Tech was "backed up." Oscar could not tell me whether my car would be looked at today, said maybe tomorrow, but provided no "certainty" when Tech would be able to evaluate or confirm problem. Dealer does not offer loaners. I understand $$$ association with a loaner program and am prepared to rent a car, but given the uncertainty of when and how long this initial Tech evaluation will take, I will schedule an appointment for the evaluation late next March '20 when I have access to our other car (a BMW i3 Rex). Hopefully Dealer can give me assurance that my '19 Bolt EV LT will be looked at within a more reasonable time frame then.

Oscar mentioned he personally has a Volt and Bolt. Great vehicles (two of my associates have Volts), but the lack of sufficient Dealer Technicians for these cars is troubling.

Hmm.. Do you have an extended warranty? The typical B2B warranty coverage is 36K. My concern is that if you don't have this, they may deny when you bring it back to them in March. In my case, it took them a total of 3 weeks of the Bolt being with them to diagnose and repair. Also, if I remember correctly, the cost associated with it was in the order of several thousand to have the rear axle replaced, but since I brought it under warranty (I was still under 30K), everything was covered.

·
Registered
9 Posts
UPDATE TO my initial post (11/12/19)

Sent an email to Service Consultant, [email protected], at 10:26 yesterday (11/13) upon arriving at my office after the 7A appointment. Email follows.

Good morning, Oscar.

Thank you for receiving me for my 7A appointment this morning and for "listening" to the noise emanating from the right rear of my 2019 Bolt EV LT.

Can you provide me a day/time in the near future when a qualified EV Tech(s) can evaluate the cause of this noise? I fear it is getting louder and would like to have this resolved.

Kind regards,

I signed and provided direct dial office and mobile nos. So far no call back or email. Should I try another dealer?

21 - 40 of 45 Posts