Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Think Dealer's vague response is a runaround? I sent a email to the Service Consultant upon arriving at my office requesting a day/time when their EV qualified Tech would evaluate. Fair questions, right? I'm prepared to rent a vehicle if necessary for a day for the evaluation but an "open ended" rental period is not practical (IMHO). Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
777 Posts
wouldn't think a suspension part would require any specially trained tech
I agree! Although from personal experience, it seems that the dealer needed the Bolt tech to diagnose the issue, and on top of that, any further action needed to be greenlighted by someone from the mothership in GM Detroit before they could proceed. Our service adviser had told me that "If there's anything wrong with these Bolts, they want to know." And that's why a repair that should've taken a couple of days tops took several weeks.

On the flipside, if what our service adviser said is actually true, it indicates that GM is at least monitoring the situation properly. Kind of like a Phase IV Clinical Trial.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope the "mothership" is interested. I've owned many cars (incl. some GM products early to mid-80s that were frankly disappointing) and was reluctant to give the General another shop.
A year and a few months later I can say I am pleasantly surprised with my 2019 Bolt EV LT (other than the noise which started a few months ago). Fingers crossed the my right rear noise problem is diagnosed and resolved quickly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I hope the "mothership" is interested. I've owned many cars (incl. some GM products early to mid-80s that were frankly disappointing) and was reluctant to give the General another shop.
A year and a few months later I can say I am pleasantly surprised with my 2019 Bolt EV LT (other than the noise which started a few months ago). Fingers crossed the my right rear noise problem is diagnosed and resolved quickly.
UPDATE TO my initial post (11/12/19)

Change to another dealer.

No email or call from Service Consultant at Weseloh Chevrolet from where I purchased my 2019 Bolt EV LT. I'm disappointed but not surprised by the lack of follow-up.

Decided to call another dealership, Connell Chevrolet, within a few miles of my office this morning. They had no problem in receiving me within an hour of my conversation with Service Consultant, Dave Anderson. Dave was professional, heard my story, wrote up a service order, and offered a shuttle to my office saying that he would be back to me later in the day. Five hours later I received a his call that the evaluation was complete. Guess what? A shuttle came to pick me up and paperwork notes an axle replacement which is on back order. It may take a few weeks before the necessary parts come in but I was informed my 2019 Bolt EV LT can be driven in the interim and that they'll have the work completed in one (1) day.

I'll continue to post on my saga as it unfolds. Fingers crossed the axle replacement resolves the noise issue.

Find a Dealer that is vested in qualified personnel when you buy or consider an EV. Connell Chevrolet is! They have three (3) qualified EV Techs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
via chevrolet.com - The Chevrolet Powertrain Limited Warranty covers specific components of your vehicle, such as, but not limited to, the engine and transmission, for 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. It is fully transferable with no fees and no deductibles. The Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation programs are also included for the first 60,000 or 5 years, whichever comes first. For more details, please visit your Chevrolet dealer.

via valleychevy.com - Oct 1, 2019 - Basically, a Powertrain warranty, also known as your car or truck Chevy factory warranty, covers the most expensive and most important parts of your vehicle: its engine, its axle assemblies, its transfer case and its transmission. ...

·
Registered
69 Posts
My bolt is a 6/2019 build, 1000 mi. I'm occasionally hearing a ping from the back similar to sjdprods video in Post #19. I'll probably be headed for a rear axle replacement at some point. Glad I have this info handy so I know what's going on and what to direct the dealer to.

I took a look at the axle assembly. Pretty simple. Amazing that something like that could be defective so soon. Makes you wonder how long GM has been designing and building cars. :unsure:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Fingers crossed your Dealer does a prompt evaluation. My selling Dealer, Weseloh Chevrolet, wasn't vested in sufficient qualified EV service personnel. Glad I found another Dealer that was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
via chevrolet.com - The Chevrolet Powertrain Limited Warranty covers specific components of your vehicle, such as, but not limited to, the engine and transmission, for 60,000 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. It is fully transferable with no fees and no deductibles. The Roadside Assistance and Courtesy Transportation programs are also included for the first 60,000 or 5 years, whichever comes first. For more details, please visit your Chevrolet dealer.

via valleychevy.com - Oct 1, 2019 - Basically, a Powertrain warranty, also known as your car or truck Chevy factory warranty, covers the most expensive and most important parts of your vehicle: its engine, its axle assemblies, its transfer case and its transmission. ...

Dealer, Connell Chevrolet, just informed me that the back ordered rear axle for my 2019 Bolt is in. Appointment to replace scheduled for Monday, December 2nd.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Dropped car off Monday morning, 12/2, per appointment scheduled with Service Consultant, Dave Anderson, for the axle replacement. I was greeted by his associate, Mike Burroughs, who saw that the job was completed today, 12/3. Thank you, Connell Chevrolet, for the excellent service. The axle was replaced under Chevrolet's Powertrain warranty and the rear brake circuits bled before the vehicle was road tested. No squeaks. All is good again. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't taken my car in yet for this issue. I wanted to make sure it was reliably making noise so that they couldn't deny it or have trouble reproducing it. I don't think I have to worry, it has progressively gotten worse.

For reference if anyone else is trying to figure this out, I did some diagnosis today to help determine that it really is the axle and not something else. I didn't want to bring it in and have them say it was just the springs making noise and that they couldn't do anything about it. I got underneath the car and had my wife and mom rock the car back and forth using the roof rails. With the car stationary you have to rock it a bit to get it to make noise, but when driving it doesn't take much for the sound to appear. While they were rocking the car, I grabbed the axle and I could feel the snapping inside it while it made noise. It as undeniable that it is the axle itself making noise, not springs, not bushings or mounts for the shocks, etc. The noise is coming from inside the axle as it flexes and bends.

So I'm printing sjdprods' service note and making a document to give the dealer to hopefully make this quick and easy. Thanks to all for the information, it really helped me figure out what I was hearing and fingers crossed, I'll get it fixed quickly and without hassle.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I

Change to another dealer.

No email or call from Service Consultant at Weseloh Chevrolet from where I purchased my 2019 Bolt EV LT. I'm disappointed but not surprised by the lack of follow-up.

Decided to call another dealership, Connell Chevrolet, within a few miles of my office this morning. They had no problem in receiving me within an hour of my conversation with Service Consultant, Dave Anderson. Dave was professional, heard my story, wrote up a service order, and offered a shuttle to my office saying that he would be back to me later in the day. Five hours later I received a his call that the evaluation was complete. Guess what? A shuttle came to pick me up and paperwork notes an axle replacement which is on back order. It may take a few weeks before the necessary parts come in but I was informed my 2019 Bolt EV LT can be driven in the interim and that they'll have the work completed in one (1) day.

I'll continue to post on my saga as it unfolds. Fingers crossed the axle replacement resolves the noise issue.

Find a Dealer that is vested in qualified personnel when you buy or consider an EV. Connell Chevrolet is! They have three (3) qualified EV Techs.
I bought mine at Connell. No-nonsense sales and competent service.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Brought the car in yesterday, gave documentation about other's axle replacement, and reproduced the sound for the service manager. He called back this morning, said I was dead on about the issue and the fix was an axle replacement. They have to order the part, it will be about 7 days before it is in. Going to pick up the car and bring it back for the replacement when they contact me.

Can't thank everyone enough for this thread and info. Made it really easy for both me and the service department.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Happy to hear that your axle issue was promptly diagnosed and that the forum was helpful. I look forward to an update once your axle is replaced and learning your servicing dealer's name? My initial experience with this problem with selling dealer, Weseloh Chevrolet, was enlightening. I would hope that few, if any, Bolt EV owners have to put with the "bs" of a non-interested dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I picked up the car the service manager said that this is the second axle replacement they've had to do on a Bolt. He also said the Sonic (I think) has a similar axle and the "fix" for it is to drill a hole and squirt in lubricant, but GM isn't taking that approach with the Bolt. If my car ever makes the noise again after it is out of warranty, the drill and squirt method is what I'd try before paying for an axle replacement. I'd of course seal up the hole with silicone afterwards. I really doubt the noise is anything that compromises safety, I think it is an inherent possible problem with the way the axle is designed. Annoying, but not dangerous. That being said, I'm glad I'm getting it fixed and I hope the fix stays fixed for a long time.

·
Registered
777 Posts
When I picked up the car the service manager said that this is the second axle replacement they've had to do on a Bolt. He also said the Sonic (I think) has a similar axle and the "fix" for it is to drill a hole and squirt in lubricant, but GM isn't taking that approach with the Bolt. If my car ever makes the noise again after it is out of warranty, the drill and squirt method is what I'd try before paying for an axle replacement. I'd of course seal up the hole with silicone afterwards. I really doubt the noise is anything that compromises safety, I think it is an inherent possible problem with the way the axle is designed. Annoying, but not dangerous. That being said, I'm glad I'm getting it fixed and I hope the fix stays fixed for a long time.
One of the other forum members posted a fix sometime ago that involved getting a grease injector of some sort that he used to inject lube into the axle boots. Seemed to have worked.

·
Registered
69 Posts
One of the other forum members posted a fix sometime ago that involved getting a grease injector of some sort that he used to inject lube into the axle boots. Seemed to have worked.
I saw that, it wouldn't work in this case as the problem is the axle beam, not a joint or anything with a boot. The beam is hollow, and I think it is double walled. Something inside the beam pops and makes noise when it flexes and bends.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hmm, so this issue seems to be happening on all year Bolts? (so a matter of when, not if?)
Seems like it is continuing to happen no matter the year, but I don't think it is a matter of when. I think if you were unfortunate enough to get a bum axle, then it is a matter of when. There was obviously something wrong with mine if it started making noise at 1000 miles.

41 - 60 of 84 Posts