Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Took the car in at 7:30 this morning for the axle replacement, they had it done by 2:15 this afternoon. My service ticket looks pretty much the same as sjdprods that he posted earlier, the only additional item was some brake fluid. Everything went well and the noise is gone. It was warranty work, so no charge.

The tech is hoping GM doesn't ask for the axle back because he wants to cut it open and see what's going on inside it that makes the noise. If I find anything out I'll report back.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Sway bar replaced, sound still there...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have had the links replaced and the tapping sound I had in the Front was less. Then it got louder and they replaced the Sway bar, noise still there. They used the Mech Ear thing (they stick sensors under the car) and said it was the Rear Axle which they replaced. Picked up last night and the tapping sound is still there.
Very upset that GM is still using these in the '19 cars when they have had issues with them, smh.

The sound I have is not like the video listed before but on accelerate and decelerate in stop/go traffic is a TAP. Like something is not tight and shifts when doing said movement. It isn't consistent either which is the hard part and sometimes louder then other times.
When I picked up my car the service kid says the Tech hear a tapping noise twice and hope that is not the noise that I heard :unsure::cautious: yeah it is :mad: The noise you said you couldn't hear 3 times before...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I posted about 4 months ago on this issue. About a week after my post, my rear "axle" (yeah - not really an axle) was replaced and the noise went away. For 3 months, it is now back and increasing. I have 2 more months left on the warranty, so I'll let it get worse and then take it back. We'll see if the dealer has more information on it this time around, but be forewarned, axle replacement didn't result in a permanent fix. If I could be assured that this is benign and will not get too much noisier, I probably would not worry about it.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
was replaced and the noise went away. For 3 months, it is now back and increasing.
Bummer. I had mine replaced in January of 2019 and haven't had the noise come back. I drove mine for over a year with the noise before getting it replaced. Dealer stated that it was not a safety issue for my particular case where it was the bushing on the assembly. For some, my understanding is that it's caused from the twist beam having two walls that start touching each other when flexed.

·
Registered
70 Posts
For 3 months, it is now back and increasing.
This is exactly what I fear. Hopefully it is possible to get an axle that won't start making noise eventually. I guess I have about 28k miles and/or 33 months to try and find out.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
This is exactly what I fear. Hopefully it is possible to get an axle that won't start making noise eventually. I guess I have about 28k miles and/or 33 months to try and find out.
I've never had the issue on my 2017 Bolt, which now has 2+ year and > 60,000 km on it. So I'd say that either good parts do exist or perhaps there's some difference in driving conditions that leads to the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've never had the issue on my 2017 Bolt, which now has 2+ year and > 60,000 km on it. So I'd say that either good parts do exist or perhaps there's some difference in driving conditions that leads to the problem.
That is a good point on your part, and something I left out - I live on Capitol Hill in Seattle, for those in the know, there are still cobblestone streets here and there. Funny, I guess they didn't build them to last, they are only 100 years old. I have a 1 block segment on the hill I drive regularly and typically do not exceed 10 mph due to the bumps. Would not be surprised if this contributes to what is a design flaw, though again, hopefully confined only generating a little noise. I will post again in a month or so when/after I talk to the service dept. And BTW, not upset at all, really like this car and the dealership experience has been very good. Won't even mind the little noises if they are benign, I've had worse squeaks from other cars... and NOISE??? Compared to ICE? Don't get me started...

·
Registered
700 Posts
I am playing phone tag with GM today. My rear Axle was also replaced but my tapping is still there and now the REAL Axle noise is starting in the back :rolleyes: I had emailed the service manager and he said there was nothing service wise they could do.
GM better buy this car back. I can't keep doing this New Noise every few months.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That is a good point on your part, and something I left out - I live on Capitol Hill in Seattle, for those in the know, there are still cobblestone streets here and there. Funny, I guess they didn't build them to last, they are only 100 years old. I have a 1 block segment on the hill I drive regularly and typically do not exceed 10 mph due to the bumps. Would not be surprised if this contributes to what is a design flaw, though again, hopefully confined only generating a little noise. I will post again in a month or so when/after I talk to the service dept. And BTW, not upset at all, really like this car and the dealership experience has been very good. Won't even mind the little noises if they are benign, I've had worse squeaks from other cars... and NOISE??? Compared to ICE? Don't get me started...
So what are you going to do ? Are they going to replace it again with a 2020 model one?

·
Registered
70 Posts
My rear Axle was also replaced but my tapping is still there and now the REAL Axle noise is starting in the back
Wow. How many miles since you had the rear axle replacement?

I'm at 1k since my replacement and so far so good. The original started making noise around 1k miles.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I’ve owned lots of cars with squeaks, creaks, ticks, and tocks.

If my Bolt was out of warranty and it started making this sound, I’d fix it with grease and a drill (if that’s the fix). Someday, we may al be in that boat.

I’m not afraid of a sound. If it doesn’t affect driveability and safety, then it’s not serious.

I guess we should start seeing this popping up more. That is if it is a real production issue. I don’t think it is.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I’ve owned lots of cars with squeaks, creaks, ticks, and tocks.

If my Bolt was out of warranty and it started making this sound, I’d fix it with grease and a drill (if that’s the fix). Someday, we may al be in that boat.

I’m not afraid of a sound. If it doesn’t affect driveability and safety, then it’s not serious.

I guess we should start seeing this popping up more. That is if it is a real production issue. I don’t think it is.
Still Warranty, in 4 times for this, NO Idea if it is a safety issue since I don't know what it is. something does feel a bit off but I can't place my finger on it but tell you what, on the Highway it feels all over the place.

I am filing a claim for a Buyback on this crap.

As for the axle, It was done around Xmas and the New Axle sound started within a month. I have heard it a few times while backing out of my drive and then the other day when I left work going forward out of my parking spot. Only lasted a few 'pings' then stopped :( I NEVER heard the axle sound before, dealer said they did. I told them the tapping was the front. But they replaced the axle, probably with one that was from 2017 OR they didn't' even really replace it.

·
Registered
777 Posts
We’ve put over 3K on ours since the rear axle replacement, haven’t heard a peep since then. Keeping my fingers crossed that it’s a durable fix.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Still Warranty, in 4 times for this, NO Idea if it is a safety issue since I don't know what it is. something does feel a bit off but I can't place my finger on it but tell you what, on the Highway it feels all over the place.

I am filing a claim for a Buyback on this crap.

As for the axle, It was done around Xmas and the New Axle sound started within a month. I have heard it a few times while backing out of my drive and then the other day when I left work going forward out of my parking spot. Only lasted a few 'pings' then stopped :( I NEVER heard the axle sound before, dealer said they did. I told them the tapping was the front. But they replaced the axle, probably with one that was from 2017 OR they didn't' even really replace it.
A buyback is a buyback. If it meets the requirements, do it. I wish you the best.

I would like to know what the actually problem is, but I can say that after 29,000+ miles, mine doesn’t do it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Add me to the list of those whose car does have the creaking noise. Will be looking for an opportunity to take it in for repair. Having the info from the forum, hopefully will simplify the technicians diagnosis and speed up the repair.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Add me to the list of those whose car does have the creaking noise. Will be looking for an opportunity to take it in for repair. Having the info from the forum, hopefully will simplify the technicians diagnosis and speed up the repair.
That’s what I wrongly assumed as well. It still took them several days to fix it. But I think it was mainly because they needed to get GM engineering involved (I think it may be protocol because of the Bolt’s current status as a singular outlier in Chevy’s lineup) and that hampered efficient progress.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sounds like a piece of metal that is winding up with tension, then slipping and releasing to cause that slapping noise. But it's hard to believe it would be that loud (unless the audio has been enhanced) if it was occurring inside an enclosed axle. That very loud and hollow-sounding noise sounds like something that's open to the outside, not enclosed in any way.

Once this sound starts happening, it comes and goes? From the video, it appears to be happening three times per one revolution of the wheel, which is really bizarre.

·
Registered
70 Posts
My diagnosis was simple, I rocked the car back and forth as the service advisor listened. He heard and confirmed the noise. The tech heard it as he was driving the car into the bay. That's all that was needed, they didn't even have to drive it. I took in a copy of sjdprods' service note and my own notes. They had to order the axle, I took the car home and drove it until the part came in in a few days. I brought it back and they completed the repair in about 7 hours. If you want a copy of what I brought in, PM me with your email address.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts