Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
My diagnosis was simple, I rocked the car back and forth as the service advisor listened. He heard and confirmed the noise. The tech heard it as he was driving the car into the bay. That's all that was needed, they didn't even have to drive it.
Sometimes with intermittent or subtle problems it's worth putting off a service visit until they become a lot more obvious.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sometimes with intermittent or subtle problems it's worth putting off a service visit until they become a lot more obvious.
Yes, I first heard the noise at around 1k miles. It progressively got worse and I waited until around 1.3k miles to bring it in. I wanted to make sure it was reproducible and could not be missed.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My Bolt as been making that noise for a while now. I still have plenty of warranty miles left. Mainly I'm looking for a time when I can be without the car for a while. Electric vehicle servicing, Tesla or Chevy, still isn't quite as efficient/prompt as ICE.
Hmm, maybe now is the time while I'm working at home by mandate.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
My Bolt as been making that noise for a while now. I still have plenty of warranty miles left. Mainly I'm looking for a time when I can be without the car for a while. Electric vehicle servicing, Tesla or Chevy, still isn't quite as efficient/prompt as ICE.
Hmm, maybe now is the time while I'm working at home by mandate.
They diagnosed my beam twist axle in one day. Same day they did my recall and they rotated the tires. The part took two months to come in. Then they did the axle repair in one day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just started to hear in my 2019 Bolt I received recently. (2K miles). Let's see how it goes with GM Brasil experience. Not to confident. :(

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Wow! I guess I have this to look forward to on my new car! If it ever comes in.
Not necessarily. We got our Bolt almost three years ago, and there are a bunch of things that people have had fail. So far, we have had zero failures...other than software glitches.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Wiki: “Advantages : Can be durable”. LOL!
From that site.
Disadvantages
  • Basic toe vs lateral force characteristic is oversteer
  • Since toe characteristics may be unsuitable, adding toe-control bushings may be expensive.
  • Camber characteristics are very limited.
  • Not very easy to adjust roll stiffness
  • Welds see a lot of fatigue, may need a lot of development
  • Not much recession compliance - can be poor for impact harshness, and will cause unwelcome toe changes (steer effects)
  • Wheel moves forward as it rises, can also be poor for impact harshness (this can be negated by designing the beam with the mounts higher than the stub axles, which impacts on the floorpan height, and causes more roll oversteer)
  • Need to package room for exhaust and so on past the cross beam
  • Camber compliance may be high
  • No redress for wheel alignment. Alignment geometry is factory-set and not generally adjustable. Any deviation from factory specifications/tolerances could mean a bent axle or compromised mounting points.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well, just brought my 17 in for this issue today. Dealer couldn't have been better. Mine was nowhere near as obvious as in the video and it is still being replaced =)

Update to this issue

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar issue -- don't know if it was the same sound -- on my '19 Bolt about 6000 miles in. You can hear the sound in the short video here:
The ping / creak was occurring at lower speeds (and usually in warmer weather), and primarily when there was differential stress on the rear suspension - bump on one side, not on the other, etc. After a couple visits, the dealership finally concluded that the noise was coming from the rear axle. They said it is a "double walled" axle, and that one of the walls was flexing into the other under certain circumstances, which made the noise. They apparently had to call GM Tech Advisory Center to help with the final diagnosis (my repair form (see below) indicates "TAC 9-5417628243" associated with this repair). Replaced the whole axle (under warranty) on recommendation of GM. Just got it back, and noise is gone (thank goodness). Hope that helps someone.

View attachment 26978
I have a 2020 bolt ev. Around 9000km, I have same sound from rear. I went to the dealer and drop the car all day. Their answer was can't find the solutions. I just show them your post. If they don't have enough knowledge about the car, They should improve internet searching skills. Service will call me after study the case. Thank you! Bolt owners are better then service techs.

81 - 91 of 91 Posts