1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

Rear of the car making ticking noises going over bumps or changes in speed at low speed, worsening over course of a month.
Dealer had to order the part, waited for about a month, replaced under warranty.

I do have a rear hitch that I occasionally pit a rear basket on, don't think it has anything to do with it.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

Rear of the car making ticking noises going over bumps or changes in speed at low speed, worsening over course of a month.
Dealer had to order the part, waited for about a month, replaced under warranty.

I do have a rear hitch that I occasionally pit a rear basket on, don't think it has anything to do with it.
I had mine replaced under warranty and never installed a hitch. Mine made noise from day one and creaked at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Mine took several months to get as they said it was being redesigned. Has been fine since the replacement five months ago.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I had mine replaced under warranty and never installed a hitch. Mine made noise from day one and creaked at low speeds over uneven surfaces. Mine took several months to get as they said it was being redesigned. Has been fine since the replacement five months ago.
I once or twice had a ticking noise that sounded like a stone in a tire at low speed. I turned the radio up.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I once or twice had a ticking noise that sounded like a stone in a tire at low speed. I turned the radio up.
funny that you mention the radio. I only heard it when my wife would ride with me. When I'm by myself I always have the radio on. But turn the radio off when my wife rides in the car. That's when I would hear it. But one day my wife was backing the car out of the drive and I got the chance to hear it from outside the car and it was very noticeable. Embarrassing really to have a quiet electric car that makes a noise like it has a loose muffler bracket.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Mine is going to be replaced in July. Shortage of new parts. I suspect they obsoleted the original design and have solved the problem with the new design that is carried over on the newer models. Yes, embarrassing and very annoying... but not a safety hazard (per my dealer). Mine makes noise when I accelerate / decelerate on a smooth road or back out of my driveway. Rubber bushing is part of axle assembly so not a simple bushing repair. Get it fixed before the 3 year 36k warranty runs out if you notice it....

Reactions: cwerdna

·
Registered
737 Posts
Mine makes noise when I accelerate / decelerate on a smooth road or back out of my driveway. Rubber bushing is part of axle assembly so not a simple bushing repair. Get it fixed before the 3 year 36k warranty runs out if you notice it....
hmm that explains it. I live on a dirt road, and drive on lousy rural roads. None of those smooth roads around here. Good, I won't hear this tick until we have a multi-trillion dollar national infrastructure project in full swing. Meanwhile.dot.dot.dot.dot. I am keeping my radio on.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Bolt LT
1/2017 built date
17500 miles

I wouldn't have called the "H" member an axle (#1 in the diagram), but I do see that GM lists it that way. I'm surprised this had to be replaced, and I'm now curious as to what a redesign is for this part and how it differs from the 2017's to my 2019.

Attachments

·
Registered
112 Posts
[
I just had mine done. I originally thought the the same thing. It's just noise right? Then I saw someone on a forum or FB mentioned that the repair would have cost over $4k. I didn't believe the number, but figured I should have the dealership check it out just in case. Sure enough, they heard the problem straight away and ordered the part. Even as I waited for the part to come in, I questioned whether it was really worth it to have the car tied up in service for a whole day to fix what was just noise.
When I returned to the dealership, handed the keys to the adviser, and stood by a someone else drove off in my car, I became extremely glad that I had brought the car in as I heard what could only be described as someone jumping on a very old mattress.
I was also glad when I found out the part they were replacing cost over a $1000. just for the part. I said, wow, I wonder where the 4k came from, surely it wouldnt be 3k in labor. As I went about my day waiting for the car, I got a call to say that the project was taking even longer then expected, and it was already expected to take a while. They had to essientally move and or remove every line, wire, hose, etc, etc, in the back to get to the rear axle, button it all back up. They even had to do a brake flush.
MORAL OF THE STORY, IF YOU HEAR THIS NOISE, AND YOUR CAR IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY, BRING IT IN!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
I heard what could only be described as someone jumping on a very old mattress
an apt description. glad I got mine done also. replaced over a year ago and still silence with no other issue related to the replacement. I'm sure the car could have gone its whole life without replacing it, but one of the perks of an electric car is the silence.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts