Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2018 Bolt LT Trim with around 3,3xx miles

Very annoying as it is now happening about 50% of the time.

Description: After starting the car and backing out of the garage in R, the rear camera does not dis-engage; the NAV does engage with the onboard screen (energy, radio, etc. display).

I spoke with GM, then I texted the sales rep from my dealer. Both claim they have no other customers who have experienced this issue and require I bring it in for them to diagnose. Now this is exactly the type of problem (like a software bug), where it is not readily reproducible. I anticipate a royal waste of time taking more than one trip to the dealer just to get the problem successfully repeated in their presence.

1 - has anyone on this forum experienced this annoying issue
2 - has anyone obtained software patch updates performed on the 2018? and/or liner notes/release notes which would at the very least admit to this type of issue being a software or integration bug?

GM wouldn't send me any literature on service recalls, etc. and the rep was not helpful, just claiming that information was all proprietary. Jake (his name) just pushed me immediately to the dealer, passing the buck.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Description: After starting the car and backing out of the garage in R, the rear camera does not dis-engage; the NAV does engage with the onboard screen (energy, radio, etc. display).

I spoke with GM, then I texted the sales rep from my dealer. Both claim they have no other customers who have experienced this issue and require I bring it in for them to diagnose. Now this is exactly the type of problem (like a software bug), where it is not readily reproducible. I anticipate a royal waste of time taking more than one trip to the dealer just to get the problem successfully repeated in their presence.

2 - has anyone obtained software patch updates performed on the 2018? and/or liner notes/release notes which would at the very least admit to this type of issue being a software or integration bug?

GM wouldn't send me any literature on service recalls, etc. and the rep was not helpful, just claiming that information was all proprietary. Jake (his name) just pushed me immediately to the dealer, passing the buck.

Thanks,

Jon
If it’s happening about half the time why wouldn’t you be able to replicate the issue at the dealership?

You could just back-up and drive forward repeatedly until it happens.

·
Registered
579 Posts
This has happened to me once.

'18 built in May, 6K on the clock.

Not clear on software history-- I've not been able to find a coherent change/version log. Yet another thing that could be displayed by the car but for lack of imagination.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I haven't seen this happen on my late-model 2017 Bolt.

Note that if this happens, pressing the "Home" key should get you out of it, after which a long press of the "Home" key will take you into Android Auto or CarPlay.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I haven't seen this happen on my late-model 2017 Bolt.

Note that if this happens, pressing the "Home" key should get you out of it, after which a long press of the "Home" key will take you into Android Auto or CarPlay.
It never happened to me with my 2017. It has happened to me at least twice on the 2019. Pressing Home does nothing. Effectively the Infotainment is locked up. Only way out for me was the Home & >> button for 10 seconds to force a restart of infotainment - and then max defog kicks on and my HVAC defaults revert to AC on, heat off, re-circulation off.

·
Registered
479 Posts

Jon
I am not sure I understand your description of the problem. If the NAV engages ... how is the rear camera engaging, ie what it it being displayed on and/or how do you determine it is engaged? :confused:

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I am not sure I understand your description of the problem. If the NAV engages ... how is the rear camera engaging, ie what it it being displayed on and/or how do you determine it is engaged? :confused:
He might be referring to the instrument cluster - if you're using the car's OnStar turn-by-turn navigation that's where the instructions appear.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Do you have the camera delay turned on ?

What are the conditions when it won't turn off. There is a speed requirement too!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your replies @drdiesel1: Where would I find out if camera delay is turned on to confirm? I doubt it, because when working as intended, there is no delay but it would be good to understand that delay feature for referene.

@Sean and ArizonaJon: I am simply referring to the main compute screen. There should be a smooth/quick switch from viewing the rear view camera, back to the informational panel (infotainment, radio, ENERGY, etc.).

·
Registered
166 Posts
New 2019 LT..... Camera stays on for several seconds after switching from reverse to D or L, then finally display normalizes. Annoying, but not critical. I don't think you stated how long camera stays on, and it if finally goes off on its own or requires intervention.

Funny, didn't seem to be happening when I first got the car, but the vehicle is super new to me, with less than 1K miles. Could have missed the glitch with all the other distractions taking place.

·
Registered
123 Posts
After 4000 miles, I was hoping I would never see the infotainment problems I've read about. Then suddenly the stuck- in-backup camera happen. Restarting car didn't fix it, then after about 5 mins the infotainment rebooted itself and I haven't seen the problem again, YET :(.

Cellphone was plugged in and I didn't think to unplug it.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
There should be a smooth/quick switch from viewing the rear view camera, back to the informational panel (infotainment, radio, ENERGY, etc.).
There is - the "Home" button. When the system is working properly, at least.

After 4000 miles, I was hoping I would never see the infotainment problems I've read about. Then suddenly the stuck- in-backup camera happen. Restarting car didn't fix it, then after about 5 mins the infotainment rebooted itself and I haven't seen the problem again, YET :(.
If it happens again you can try rebooting the infotainment system by hold down the "Home" and "Next Selection" buttons (next to the volume knob) for about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
479 Posts
He might be referring to the instrument cluster - if you're using the car's OnStar turn-by-turn navigation that's where the instructions appear.
Thanks Sean that makes sense. I never used OnStar so I did not know it used the instrument cluster display. All of my other cars used the informant display for GPS.

·
Registered
479 Posts
New 2019 LT..... Camera stays on for several seconds after switching from reverse to D or L, then finally display normalizes. Annoying, but not critical. I don't think you stated how long camera stays on, and it if finally goes off on its own or requires intervention.

Funny, didn't seem to be happening when I first got the car, but the vehicle is super new to me, with less than 1K miles. Could have missed the glitch with all the other distractions taking place.
The camera is supposed to stay on when you switch to D or L until the car reaches 5 mph. I find it great when parking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
never switches back

It never switches back. HARD RESET is required.

I just recorded a video of it and care share it. How do i do that on this site because in the past I tried to but the site prevents you from posting it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This exact same problem happened to me yesterday for the first time. My phone was plugged in. Shutting down the car doesn't solve the problem. The screen shows the video camera while I drove forward. Resetting the computer by pressing home+fast-forward button resolved the problem. The car has the latest software update. Not a big issue if you know how to reset the system.

Thanks,

Jon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine does it too!

My 2019 Bolt Premier's backup cameras will occasionally get 'stuck in reverse' for a while, seemingly when I go into reverse before the infotainment system has had a chance to finish booting up. Does Chevy have anything to say about fixing this bug?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hmm, Iv'e had a few glitches, parking brake demons, Android auto screen getting stuck upside down, and the Bolt trying to activate my phone's blue tooth parked, and off- I literally couldn't even use my phone until I rebooted the car.

But I haven't had that happen, I kinda wish it was a feature so I can see traffic behind me more easily.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts