Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
My 2019 Bolt Premier's backup cameras will occasionally get 'stuck in reverse' for a while, seemingly when I go into reverse before the infotainment system has had a chance to finish booting up. Does Chevy have anything to say about fixing this bug?

Ummm...wait until the car finishes booting up? All kidding aside, I adjusted my "car-starting procedure" in 1997 to allow our EV-1 to completely boot up before doing anything. Now, I start the car first, then close the door, adjust the seat, put on my belt, adjust the mirror, etc. By then, the car's finished doing its thing.

It's like waiting for you PC to boot, except the car has something like a dozen processors that need to agree that they're good to go. Give it time...

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Bolt LT Trim with around 3,3xx miles

Very annoying as it is now happening about 50% of the time.

Description: After starting the car and backing out of the garage in R, the rear camera does not dis-engage; the NAV does engage with the onboard screen (energy, radio, etc. display).

I spoke with GM, then I texted the sales rep from my dealer. Both claim they have no other customers who have experienced this issue and require I bring it in for them to diagnose. Now this is exactly the type of problem (like a software bug), where it is not readily reproducible. I anticipate a royal waste of time taking more than one trip to the dealer just to get the problem successfully repeated in their presence.

1 - has anyone on this forum experienced this annoying issue
2 - has anyone obtained software patch updates performed on the 2018? and/or liner notes/release notes which would at the very least admit to this type of issue being a software or integration bug?

GM wouldn't send me any literature on service recalls, etc. and the rep was not helpful, just claiming that information was all proprietary. Jake (his name) just pushed me immediately to the dealer, passing the buck.

Thanks,
Jon

I've had the same issues with my 2018 Bolt. I love the car but definitely not OK with the locked up screen issues. It used to happen rarely, but it's getting worse lately. This can't be safe. Reverse cam stays on even when in drive and moving forward, or the screen gets locked in the "all-black-nothing-shows-at-all position or the Apple car play Nav won't work even if I unplug and replug in my phone (and yep the cable's good, I've checked it). It's worrisome because when the screen locks I have no control over the radio or AC. We shouldn't have to pull over and restart the car - besides that doesn't necessarily work anyway. I suggest having someone take a video of it to show Chevy service. I did that once and Weseloh Chevy Carlsbad, CA said they haven't had anyone else come in with that issue - I'm skeptical of that looking at these and other forum posts. If Chevy can't fix it is it a "Lemon Law" issue?
Eve S.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
We shouldn't have to pull over and restart the car
Have you tried rebooting the infotainment system by holding the physical buttons <home> & <fast forward> for several seconds (5?) at the same time? This can be done while driving so you don't have to pull over.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My 2017 does this sporadically. I'd guess about once a month or two.
The "Home" + "Fast Forward" for 10 seconds has never failed to resolve it.
In the world of covid, fires burning 1000 acres per minute, weeks of smoke pollution, this camera problem is a minor PITA to me.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts