Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is always carrying a spare tire, pump, jack, 1/2” torque wrench, other assorted tools and a 50 lbs hitch mounted 4-bike rack from North Shore Racks.

Even without carrying 5-6 mountain bikes (2 bikes on the roof rail racks), the rear of my car sags, causing clearance problems going up/down driveways. I recently replaced my shocks/struts because the car was starting to bounce, but even this did not solve the rear sagging issue. I also had to replace the rear bump stops since they were damaged from all the times the rear bottomed out.

After some homework (measuring, Chevybolt.org, FB, etc.), I decided to add rear coil spring spacers (aka lift kit). Prior to this, I tried the in-between coil elastomer spacers, which did not appreciably level the rear at the configuration the car is at 95% of the time (with the spare/tools and empty hitch mounted bike rack).

I chose the rear spacer kit # CS-4100 from Universal Car Lifts based on the measurement of the inner diameter (ID) of the rear pigtail coil spring at 2-1/8”. The outer diameter (OD) of the section of the spacer that mates with the spring is spec’d for a 2” to 2-1/2” spring ID.

I cut the lift spacers to give me 1” of lift and used a block of HDPE to make two spacers to center the CS-4100 spacers to the lower spring mount on the car without the rubber isolators. To make these adapters, I used 2 hole saws (3" & 2" on the HDPE and turned the OD until it fits inside the lift spacers. I even cut a small groove as there is a weld on the inside of the tubing on the lift spacer.

Sorry about the wall of text. Here are the pics of the process.

Automotive tire Camera accessory Household hardware Bicycle part Gas

Automotive tire Automotive exhaust Muffler Material property Gas

·
Registered
2019 bolt Lt
68 Posts
Nice diy problem solving,motorcycles have built-in preload rear spring adjustments to solve this sort of sag problems while carrying passengers.Had,t occured the bolt would need rear spring preload with it ability to carry passengers .

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier | Ghost Grey, not home yet!
11 Posts
Has anyone tried something like this all around? I’m waiting on my 2022 euv to arrive and I’m terrified about the clearance. Island roads are rough and it’s only a matter of time before the bottom gets chewed up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts