Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I overlooked this defect:crying:during the delivery of the vehicle. How a car that cost about $40k can have paint drips is befuddling. Chevy will only respray the hatch and offers no other options for repair. I can barely deal with the seats made for children (i'm 6'2" 215) and the super reflective dash, but this paint problem just sours my purchase.

Attachments

·
Registered
989 Posts
It's a minor defect and should be an easy fix.
I think you're making it out to be the end of the world type of an issue.
It's a production car and things can get missed in QC. Don't make it more than it is or you'll risk popping a gasket ;)

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
Chevy will only respray the hatch and offers no other options for repair.
What other options do think are reasonable? Repainting the hatch is the normal and a proper repair. The only other option I see is live with it, but if it were me I'd make them repaint.

·
Registered
195 Posts
It's a minor defect and should be an easy fix.
I think you're making it out to be the end of the world type of an issue.
It's a production car and things can get missed in QC. Don't make it more than it is or you'll risk popping a gasket ;)
:eek:I have to agree, but it's not my Bolt. Is it noticeable with the hatch closed? If so I'd leave it as is. Repainting panels and matching paint with other associated panels is always a challenge. The hassle of getting it repainted wouldn't be worth it for me if it's not noticeable with the hatch closed, and it's only the bottom edge. Now that you know it's there, after a few weeks or months, it will be less painful. Let it go.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
:eek:I have to agree, but it's not my Bolt. Is it noticeable with the hatch closed? If so I'd leave it as is. Repainting panels and matching paint with other associated panels is always a challenge. The hassle of getting it repainted wouldn't be worth it for me if it's not noticeable with the hatch closed, and it's only the bottom edge. Now that you know it's there, after a few weeks or months, it will be less painful. Let it go.
You know, I just thought of another option. Because it's only a defect with the lower edge, I would likely carefully sand it down smooth only in the effected edge and they use color correct touch up paint, the kind with the little nail polish brush, to fix it.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Since the car is new, a respray will match up beautifully. Since this is metal and not plastic bumper you will not even see a sheen difference when the sun hits it.

Let them respray it and it will be fine. If it makes you feel any better mine had a 2" scratch in the door and GM fixed it. I can' t even see it now.

I saw a white Tesla model X last week and the car was beautiful but start looking and you almost start crying or laughing when examining the panel gaps. Door to front panel had 1/16" and I thought the door would scrape as it closed. The same front panel to hood had +1/4" gap on one side and -1/8" on the other side. Completely u acceptable for a +$90, 000 car or any car for that matter.

From your pictures it appears that the bubbles are from the prep dipping process before reaching paint.

Let GM fix your hatch. You will not notice it once it is painted. Don' t attempt half measures to make it look good...let the professionals do it.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:)I picked up my Bolt on the July 4th holiday. As I inspected my Bolt, I noticed a small chip on the lower bottom of the passenger door. I mentioned it to my sales person. He stated the service department wasn't open and he would be glad to set up an appointment to have it fixed. Since it was minor, and it would require a 1.5 hour round trip plus waiting time, I declined. I had some metallic red touch up paint from another car, so I gave it a try. Easy fix, and the color matched well. The less I return to the dealer and less time my vehicles are out of my control, the better. That's not always a possibility depending on the issue. Just a thought.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My Bolt came with a small scratch on the shifter. I was getting sick of wrangling the dealers* and finally found a relaxed one in a local sleepy town I liked, who would work with me no monkey business. Best yet they had exactly one of what I wanted, a white loaded to the gills, so I was set on getting this particular one. Theoretically I could have made a fuss, but they would probably try to buff it out, just making it worse, instead of doing a (I assume) $500+ repair to replace the shifter. I live with it, gives my Bolt character.

* We wanted to buy, not lease, and found it really hard to do that. The financial incentives for the dealer must be big for them to lease these cars, else they wouldn't have pushed so hard. One dealer would simply not sell it seemed, I couldn't get any pricing on them to buy.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I am bewildered how this passed the QC at the plant and at the dealership. Makes me just a little paranoid
No need to be paranoid. It's just cosmetic and they knew it. I'm sure people at the factory and dealership did notice this. I'm sure there were brief discussions with superiors about it. Clearly the choice was to take a chance and hope the consumer wouldn't notice, or care.

It's the strategy of letting the consumer do the quality control and saving money. Sad but true. It is one of those things that caused the American car industry, and really most of the world's car industries slip behind some, but not all of the Japanese brands. I had hoped we could move beyond all the sloppy work of the past, but it still haunts us a little bit, but things are much, much better than they were.

I think they had an issue with their spray rig that does the hatch that day. I don't know when the OP's car was built, but I have an orange one too and I discovered less than perfect paint on my hatch area under the little spoiler months ago when washing and waxing. I don't care though as you can only see it if you duck your head under and look up.

Stuff happens.
This is very true. However the only way we can help GM help themselves, or any other car maker to get better is to hold their feet to the fire. Make them pay for all these little cosmetic defects, then maybe they will learn that they are not acceptable and start to keep these sorts of things from ever leaving the factory. Clearly sales mysteriously migrating to Toyota, Honda and now Hyundai isn't enough. :|

This is just a minor cosmetic issue and not a big deal, but it is a very competitive car market and given the cost of any new car these days, the consumer demands better. They need to know that. I think I would make them respray while it's under warranty. If this car were out of warranty, or the dealer is just a huge hassle, then I would do my sand and touch up idea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am bewildered how this passed the QC at the plant and at the dealership. Makes me just a little paranoid
My sentiments exactly! I have owned vehicles from $15k to 50K from Ford, Audi, VW,Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, and I have never seen a paint defect like this. It’s like painting 101. I understand it can be fixed, i’m just shaking my head how it made it through QC. They proudly put a sticker on my door saying its is assembled in US. FWIW: I asked to have another hatch painted at the factory. I don’t feel that is unreasonable considering all the issues and time involved painting at a body shop. I must reiterate this is a $39,500 MSRP vehicle and we shouldn’t overlook substandard build quality just because it has a 60KW battery and driveline. :nerd:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I am not paranoid about the mechanicals of the vehicle, but its just disappointing that I have to sacrifice quality for the first affordable long range EV.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am not paranoid about the mechanicals of the vehicle, but its just disappointing that I have to sacrifice quality for the first affordable long range EV.
Would just get it repainted. It's a minor cosmetic item, they can do it, and you'll feel better and won't be bugged by it when you open/close the hatch. A couple of days ago I was thinking about much better cars are now than when I was a kid, when one planned on going back to the dealer a month after delivery with one's list of defects to be fixed. Now out of the box cars are often defect free. Whether anyone else is bothered or not is less important than what YOU feel. I would not want to have a constant annoying something or other bugging me. So get it repainted.

For what it is worth txxthie, I think you will be delighted with the car. Hope this will not affect your appreciation of all the good things about the Bolt and that your enjoyment of it is not substantively affected.

The neurochemistry of feeling good, and feeling bad, is that something "equivalently" good is only 'felt' with about 20% of the strength of something bad. If you lose a $20 bill, you feel it as negatively as you might feel positively if you found $100. So small annoyances are felt powerfully!

·
Registered
25 Posts
My sentiments exactly! I have owned vehicles from $15k to 50K from Ford, Audi, VW,Toyota, Lexus, Mercedes, and I have never seen a paint defect like this. It’s like painting 101. I understand it can be fixed, i’m just shaking my head how it made it through QC. They proudly put a sticker on my door saying its is assembled in US. FWIW: I asked to have another hatch painted at the factory. I don’t feel that is unreasonable considering all the issues and time involved painting at a body shop. I must reiterate this is a $39,500 MSRP vehicle and we shouldn’t overlook substandard build quality just because it has a 60KW battery and driveline. :nerd:
You might be surprised to find that a local body shop can do a better job than the factory.

I had an Audi Q7 that had its left-rear door “taco’d“ when a driver hit it while it was open when I was parked in a gas station. The car was nearly new and all I could think about was how the door would never be as good as the when it came from the factory.

Well...the body shop did absolutely superb work. You know how a quality-fit door closes with a satisfying “thunk” sound? The repaired door was the best closing of the bunch, haha!! And you couldn’t tell...at all, under any lighting condition...that the door had been repainted. Amazing.

Point is...try getting that level of care and attention at the factory. Ain’t gonna happen.

IMHO....Get it repainted and move on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I overlooked this defect:crying:during the delivery of the vehicle. How a car that cost about $40k can have paint drips is befuddling. Chevy will only respray the hatch and offers no other options for repair. I can barely deal with the seats made for children (i'm 6'2" 215) and the super reflective dash, but this paint problem just sours my purchase.
What's wrong with re-spraying?? I am 6'2", 200 pounds, seats fit me perfectly. So far my wife and many others that have ridden in the car, find the seats comfortable. I am wondering what the anatomy is for those that hate the seats. I see that the Lincoln has infinitely adjustable seats. Perhaps you should have purchased one.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts