Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend backed into our Bolt slowly today, compressing the rear bumper. Didn't see it, so don't know the details.

The rear bumper fascia appears to be undamaged, but the entire light assembly on the starboard side is dislodged a sitting inboard a couple centimeters. It also appears undamaged and the lights all work fine...just pressed in as it were.

I'm pretty handy and think this might be an easy repair....has anyone 'gone into' the rear bumper and can they describe how hard it is to get there....and do I go from the cabin side or the underside?

Or should I just pay the dealer $100 to do it?

·
Registered
624 Posts
the manual says that in order to replace the rear blinkers, you just reach up under the bumper to access. i haven't tried it, but i'd start there.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Pictures would be helpful.....

Reactions: Digi

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
Just go for it. You might find a broken tab, but my guess is you can probably push it back into place.

I had a neighbor back into my Prius with his jacked up old truck and smash out the light. Bought a new one from Amazon for $120 (integrated LED type). Took about 30 minutes to replace. The neighbor never did send me any money, and I explained I was not reporting to insurance and doing the work for free to save him some money. Some people are dirtbags. Maybe he has more stressful things going on than repaying a debt.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
You might want to wait until the weather warms or get it in a warm garage.

All of the plastic might be a little more forgiving if the car is warmed up.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got a chance to look and poke around in there. DW has been driving the car a LOT.

Nothing appeared broken and I just snapped the lamp assembly back into place on the tabs. Reaching underneath.

I think we're good.

I feel like an idgit even asking for help...but the help was very useful nonetheless. :D

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Not an idgit. A contributor. Now we know it can be snapped back into place and doesn't necessarily need to be screwed back in. Thank you for the happy ending!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.