Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got three skinny kids: 1 high schooler, 1 in Jr High, and 1 in Elementary.

Are they going to be able to sit in the back seat of the Bolt somewhat comfortably for trips less than 45 minutes? Anybody got any rear seat pics with three bodies?

I love the Volt but I don't think that rear seat will work with its gigantic rear battery tunnel.

·
Registered
786 Posts
The 2017 Chevy Bolt EV has 52.8 inches of rear shoulder room and 50.8 inches of rear hip room. An average adult has 18 inches of shoulder space so three children with less that 17 inches each will fit. The rear seat is a continuous bench and the floor is flat from door to door, so sliding across is the easiest of any small sedam and most midsized sedans.

As a comparison, the 2017 Chevy Equinox, GM second best selling vehicle for over ten years (I have a 2009 model) which also has one of the best rear seat legrooms, has 55.3 rear shoulder room and 51.1 rear hip room. So for just a few inches less, the Bolt EV has a great rear space for three passengers, adult and children.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the comparison. Without seeing the car in person yet it's tough to realize its size. Is it about the size of slightly taller Sonic?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Stop at a Chevy dealer and test fit with your kids in the Trax, or, stop at a Buick dealer and test with an Encore. Those are twins, and easily the closest in size for the back seat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had three kids in the back seat for a short trip: a 11 yr old, 9 yr old, and a 2 yr old in a toddler car seat. The car seat in the passenger side back seat and took a little bit more than normal width of an adult person. The 9 yr old in the middle was a little bit cramped, but she was not "uncomfortable", but all were able to make it through a 30+ min ride without issues or incident.

In terms of the height in the backseat, even though the seats sit pretty high, there isn't too much worry. I've had my 6'2" friend sit back there, and there is plenty of headroom.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to share, but will see if I can arrange one the next time all three kids are in the car.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I had three kids in the back seat for a short trip: a 11 yr old, 9 yr old, and a 2 yr old in a toddler car seat. The car seat in the passenger side back seat and took a little bit more than normal width of an adult person. The 9 yr old in the middle was a little bit cramped, but she was not "uncomfortable", but all were able to make it through a 30+ min ride without issues or incident.

In terms of the height in the backseat, even though the seats sit pretty high, there isn't too much worry. I've had my 6'2" friend sit back there, and there is plenty of headroom.

Unfortunately, I don't have any pictures to share, but will see if I can arrange one the next time all three kids are in the car.

Even leg room back their help big time since tall riders like your friend also have that concern. This is why since hearing about the Bolt EV was designed with ride sharing in mind that I graviated more towards it than most vehicles that were once on my list

Here's a video that gets a bit into it..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts