Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Do the LED strips just stick to the window?
Yes. They come with good quality 3M tape on the back. Since they are so light, I don't think there will be any problem with them staying "stuck on". Will have to see how the tape stands up to water/rain/snow.

I had the choice of sticking them to the glass, OR to the adjacent black plastic trim piece. I decided the glass would be better. It places the strip at a slight angle which makes it slightly brighter to vehicles that are not directly behind my car. Also, if I ever decide to remove them, it can be done without any residual damage to the underlying surface.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The video shows nothing at all. Watched it many times and see nothing.
When you follow the link in my original post, you should be taken to a SmugMug page where you will find 6 short video clips. 3 of them are "before" and 3 are "after" the addition of the LED strips.

·
Registered
9 Posts
alright started to take a stab at this over the weekend but may chicken out. Did you remove the bumper or lift the car in any way to get to the wires you needed to splice? I started out, ran the wire through the cushion and into the bumper gap but once I got down under the car I was met with much less room to work than I'm used to (having worked only on dashboards up to now). I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong, but I'm not sure I have the dexterity to get my arms up there to do the delicate work needed in this case, especially with that impact bar in the way.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
No, didn't remove bumper cover, and didn't lift car. I'm 74 years old and don't move or bend like I used to, but didn't have too much trouble making the connections.

I pulled the backup light bulb holder out of its light unit, and pulled the turn signal bulb holder out of its light unit. That gives you a little slack. In your photo there is a white label on the factory wiring harness, and to the right of it a molded clip holding the wire harness. I pulled the harness out of that clip, which gives you more slack. To the left of that white label there is a big electrical plug in the harness. That plug is clipped to a bracket. Pull the plug off the bracket, and you get some more slack.

At that point, the turn signal bulb should be hanging down behind the bumper cover low enough that you can work on it. Pull the little bit of electrical tape off the wire, and cut the plastic sheath back far enough to give you room to make your wire splice. I used the blue quick splice connectors like in the link below, but soldering, or straight inline crimp connectors would also work.

After you make your splice connections then just put the wire harness back up in proper position and plug the two bulb holders back into place. Use black zip ties to secure the wire going up to the LED strip so it doesn't blow around when you are driving.

·
Registered
9 Posts
thanks! unclipping those two spots was supremely helpful. I was able to do all of the work under the bumper while kneeling outside of the car. I went with a much cheaper pair of LEDs from Amazon even though I liked the look of yours; I was hesitant to spend $100+ on something I'm not sure will hold up over time, carwashes, etc. Got a set for $11 on amazon and plastidipped them to cover everything showing aside from the LEDs themselves. only 12 on each side, but they get plenty bright and I'm very happy with the results! Maybe someday I'll replace the LED strips with something a little nicer, but at least the 'difficult' part of running the wires and splicing is done. (click for gif)

·
Registered
80 Posts
thanks! unclipping those two spots was supremely helpful. I was able to do all of the work under the bumper while kneeling outside of the car. I went with a much cheaper pair of LEDs from Amazon even though I liked the look of yours; I was hesitant to spend $100+ on something I'm not sure will hold up over time, carwashes, etc. Got a set for $11 on amazon and plastidipped them to cover everything showing aside from the LEDs themselves. only 12 on each side, but they get plenty bright and I'm very happy with the results! Maybe someday I'll replace the LED strips with something a little nicer, but at least the 'difficult' part of running the wires and splicing is done. (click for gif)
Can you post the Amazon link?
I too don't wish to part with $100.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can you post the Amazon link?
I too don't wish to part with $100.

I wrapped the cables so that they are all black rather than black/red, and I plastidipped the strips themselves to hide the circuitry. I could have done a much better job on that end, but figured it was a first pass at something that may be temporary and I can always go back and touch up or re-dip later.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts