Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the wide angle rearview camera on the car! Took me awhile to get used to the fact that cars look MUCH FARTHER AWAY than they actually are. But that passes with experience. What I can't quite get used to is the fact that whenever a car with LED running lights gets behind me during the day, their lights flicker annoyingly in the mirror! Something, I am sure, to do with the fact that it's a camera, but it is still a bit annoying. Anybody else have this (minor) problem?

There's also the fact that everyone's wheels appear to turn backwards, but that's something you can ignore...

·
Registered
181 Posts
It took two months and four trips to the dealer to get a working mirror. Now that I have it I'm not impressed.

When another driver lets me merge in front of them I like to look into the mirror and wave a gesture of thanks. This feels weird with the rear view display on.

Objects in the display are too small. However they are very crisp and clear. From this perspective it is better than a mirror. I would like the view to be higher.

I can't glance at a back seat passenger when the display is on.

My passerengers like the display. They get the same view to the rear as I get.

Ed

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it's just something to get used to; not seeing your rear passengers or yourself. It's like seeing the road behind you on a TV, sharp but a certain feeling of disconnect.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What I can't quite get used to is the fact that whenever a car with LED running lights gets behind me during the day, their lights flicker annoyingly in the mirror! Something, I am sure, to do with the fact that it's a camera, but it is still a bit annoying. Anybody else have this (minor) problem?
They do flicker. I've never thought of it as a problem, though. It doesn't bother me in the least.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It took two months and four trips to the dealer to get a working mirror. Now that I have it I'm not impressed.

When another driver lets me merge in front of them I like to look into the mirror and wave a gesture of thanks. This feels weird with the rear view display on.

Objects in the display are too small. However they are very crisp and clear. From this perspective it is better than a mirror. I would like the view to be higher.

I can't glance at a back seat passenger when the display is on.

My passerengers like the display. They get the same view to the rear as I get.

Ed
Can you please provide details on what issues you had with your rearview camera and how they were fixed?

·
Registered
181 Posts
It took two months and four trips to the dealer to get a working mirror.
Can you please provide details on what issues you had with your rearview camera and how they were fixed?
The symptom was a blue screen with a movie camera icon with a line through it. This is described well in the manual which says to take it to the dealer when this happens.

The first time I took it in, their Bolt technician was busy. Why they made my appointment for a time when he wasn't available is a different issue.

I brought it back the next week and he couldnt find a problem, so he updated the radio software. I got into the car and it still failed, so I went back to ask what I was doing wrong. He didn't know about that display and said he would have to look at it some more. A couple hours later they told me they would have to replace the mirror. They needed to order one and said it would in in about a week and they would call me.

Five weeks later I finally got around to calling to find out about the status of my mirror. They said it came in about a month ago, so I made an appointment to have the mirror replaced. An hour later I got a call saying my mirror had come in.

I took it in, but the new mirror behaved the same way. They told me engineers at Chevrolet said the problem was probably in the wiring and they would need half a day to deal with it.

I took it in one more time for the wiring fix. Now the mirror display works.

I have now had my Bolt for 9 weeks and it has been in the shop more times than my 2011 Nissan Leaf.

Ed

·
Registered
333 Posts
My mirror didn't work either. Fortunately for me a new mirror fixed the problem.

The video feed wire to the mirror sticks out a bit from the mirror and that got ripped almost clean out of the mirror housing. It was hanging by a few strands of coax grounding wire.

Fortunately for me, the car's coax wiring was intact.

From what I can see, there's some slack there after connecting everything and they probably wind that slack around the mirror by turning the entire mirror assembly before installing that plastic shroud. Someone probably overclocked it. Passes QC but then when someone actually uses the mirror and move it around during adjustment, it yanks the coax cable right out.

Looks like the OP wasn't lucky and the car's wiring got pulled instead of the mirror's.

I'm ok with the mirror. Works when I have big thing in the trunk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm not a fan of the camera mirror. It may be my old eyes but adjusting to the different focus lenghts takes way too long so my eyes are off the road way too long.

The strobing or pulsing lights will be the 60 cycle hum. LED alights flicker really fast but our eyes don't detect it but the frame rate of the camera will. Same for the spinnig wheels. It's like watching them as they drive past a picket fence.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not a fan of the camera mirror. It may be my old eyes but adjusting to the different focus lenghts takes way too long so my eyes are off the road way too long.
I've got old eyes that went through lasik surgery, but with one eye adjusted farsighted and the other nearsighted (monovision). I think this may be why I don't have an issue with the focus on the Rearview Camera.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I've got old eyes that went through lasik surgery, but with one eye adjusted farsighted and the other nearsighted (monovision). I think this may be why I don't have an issue with the focus on the Rearview Camera.
That's an interesting thought, you may be on to something there. I've had LASIK monovision for years, and also have no problem with the rear view display. I only notice the focus difference the very first time I look in the Bolt's mirror/display after using a different car - wife's, rental, whatever. Otherwise, it gives me no trouble at all, and my eyes are as old as the hills. The monovision works very well, at least until they figure out a better fix for presbyopia. Still, I'd expect a young person to be even quicker to adjust to the Bolt's mirror display.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
The symptom was a blue screen with a movie camera icon with a line through it. This is described well in the manual which says to take it to the dealer when this happens.

The first time I took it in, their Bolt technician was busy. Why they made my appointment for a time when he wasn't available is a different issue.

I brought it back the next week and he couldnt find a problem, so he updated the radio software. I got into the car and it still failed, so I went back to ask what I was doing wrong. He didn't know about that display and said he would have to look at it some more. A couple hours later they told me they would have to replace the mirror. They needed to order one and said it would in in about a week and they would call me.

Five weeks later I finally got around to calling to find out about the status of my mirror. They said it came in about a month ago, so I made an appointment to have the mirror replaced. An hour later I got a call saying my mirror had come in.

I took it in, but the new mirror behaved the same way. They told me engineers at Chevrolet said the problem was probably in the wiring and they would need half a day to deal with it.

I took it in one more time for the wiring fix. Now the mirror display works.

I have now had my Bolt for 9 weeks and it has been in the shop more times than my 2011 Nissan Leaf.

Ed
Sounds like an incompetent service shop is the primary issue. A dealership with a clue would have probably had the issue fixed in 2 visits.

·
Registered
68 Posts
By itself the mirror is a great toy and as the car come off the floor, its a nice alternative. However, for me, its going to be my primary use in about a week. The best thing about the camera mirror? Tinted windows. I am going to get the windows tinted on the Bolt. 5% in the rear and probably 30% for the front driver and passenger. Same combinations I have done in most of my cars. Now in the day time and especially at night, I will be able to see the rear view camera without the tint obstruction.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts