Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st I need to ask that a NEW SECTION be made for Recalls. As clearly they are starting to appear.
I have not gotten a paper letter yet, but I have not been to my PO box this week.

Anyone else get the email from ONSTAR ?
"Your March Diagnostics Report from your Chevrolet Bolt EV"

Recalls and Programs

• GM #: 2017297
    HIGH VOLTAGE BATTERY PACK LOW CELL
For more information regarding recalls and programs on your GM vehicle, click here.

• GM Program #:
  • N172104090

• Date Issued:
  • Sep 05, 2017

Program Title:
High Volt Battery Pack Low Cell
Program Description:
Certain 2017 model year Bolt EV vehicles may have a condition in which the cells within the battery pack have low voltage. This condition is related to the state of charge of the cell group. Eventually, the difference in the state of charge of the cell groups (average vs. minimum) may exceed a threshold.
Repair Description:
Replace the high voltage battery pack.
Program Status: INCOMPLETE

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
GM press statement was 1% of first 10,000 made might have an issue. First Bolts manufactured at end of 2016 at a rate of 100 per day. Based on that, I'm guessing ones manufactured before May of 2017.

·
Registered
10,647 Posts
There will be no recall. The cars are being monitored constantly online. If there is a problem, you will be notified personally.

Ours was manufactured 12/16. Got our February report. Still all green, after 8700 miles. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Looks and smells like a recall to me.

They INSISTED I bring my car to any dealer.
It has been two weeks and no work has begun because no parts are available. My car was working fine before. No warnings or messages. I was getting the full 220 to 240 miles per charge based on my driving. When I asked for my car back while they wait for part I was told no-way Jose. My car has been impounded. It will not be released until the entire battery is replaced.

Smells to me like they fear Fire, Injury or Death.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,716 Posts
Looks and smells like a recall to me.

They INSISTED I bring my car to any dealer.
It has been two weeks and no work has begun because no parts are available. My car was working fine before. No warnings or messages. I was getting the full 220 to 240 miles per charge based on my driving. When I asked for my car back while they wait for part I was told no-way Jose. My car has been impounded. It will not be released until the entire battery is replaced.

Smells to me like they fear Fire, Injury or Death.
If I get one of these, I will make arrangements for my dealer of choice to call me when the necessary parts are in.

·
Registered
121 Posts
This is good news! It means GM is proactively monitoring all of our Bolts for evidence of battery failure. They are man-made and can fail. Be thankful you are getting a heads-up before that happens. GM wants the car off the road, which means you will be Bolt-less until a new battery arrives.

·
Registered
590 Posts
RECALL FAQ

I heard the year, make and model of the vehicle I own is involved in a recall, but I haven't received a letter and no recalls are listed on this page. why?

This could happen for a number of different reasons:

a) GM works to quickly identify affected vehicles and notify owners. Once GM has identified the affected vehicles, those VINs are loaded onto this site. This process can take several days, but in rare cases it may take longer. Even if your vehicle doesn't appear here, please check this website at a later date if you believe your vehicle may be involved in a recently announced recall. To determine if your vehicle is involved in a recall, type your VIN in the field below. Once entered, any recall repairs that have not been completed on your vehicle will be displayed. GM will notify all customers of affected vehicles in writing within 60 days of the recall announcement.

b)Recalls are issued by VIN and may not include every vehicle manufactured within a model year. Your vehicle could have been manufactured at a different time, in a different manufacturing facility or using different parts than those involved in the announced recalls.

c) If your vehicle has already been repaired at a Certified Service Dealer or Saab Official Service Center, the recall will not display. This website only displays recalls and/or programs for your vehicle in which repairs have not been completed.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
If I get one of these, I will make arrangements for my dealer of choice to call me when the necessary parts are in.
Think it'd be possible to have them provide you another Bolt as a loaner or a at least a Volt? I personally wouldn't be too pissed off if they provided me another Bolt as a loaner while mine sat waiting for parts.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,716 Posts
If Chevy demands the owner return their vehicle to a dealer or refuse them use of it until it is repaired, they should be providing a loaner vehicle at no charge.
When I brought mine back for some aftermarket stuff my spouse insisted upon, I got a free loaner: A Chevy Silverado pickup with 300 miles on it. It is a beast, and I could watch the gas gauge go down in my minimal 40 mile commute back to the dealer. I had to pay for gas...$9.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
When I brought mine back for some aftermarket stuff my spouse insisted upon, I got a free loaner: A Chevy Silverado pickup with 300 miles on it. It is a beast, and I could watch the gas gauge go down in my minimal 40 mile commute back to the dealer. I had to pay for gas...$9.
Same thing happen to me. I brought the Bolt in because the lock cover on the driver side popped off and wouldn't go back on. The dealer had to keep the car overnight because the parts were not in stock. They gave me a new full cab offroad Silverado as a loaner. Could I get a vehicle more opposite of what the Bolt is? It was my wife's Bolt and she's really uncomfortable driving such a gigantic vehicle so she drove my car that day and I took the truck. A Cruze or Malibu would have been more appropriate.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Same thing happen to me. I brought the Bolt in because the lock cover on the driver side popped off and wouldn't go back on. The dealer had to keep the car overnight because the parts were not in stock. They gave me a new full cab offroad Silverado as a loaner. Could I get a vehicle more opposite of what the Bolt is? It was my wife's Bolt and she's really uncomfortable driving such a gigantic vehicle so she drove my car that day and I took the truck. A Cruze or Malibu would have been more appropriate.
Clearly, in these cases, the dealership was giving you folks the finger. I would have raised holy h3ll to get a small car loaner.
I'd have put up a mild stink too. I'm spending more money on gas than I would on electricity.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just got an email that Onstar detected battery problem. I called local dealer and they ordered a battery and will let me know when to bring my Bolt (March 2017). They didn't insist to bring it now. We have not noticed any problem with the car. Getting 280 miles on a charge.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts