Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
The specs they mention in the article are the same specs of the Bolt, and that's the same specs as the 'Connect and Cruise' eCrate package from last years SEMA.

After that was shown off I reached out to GM to try to get info about purchasing it for my EV conversion, but got the run-around from everyone there. Seems it was purely for PR, and they didn't actually have a product to sell.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe e-crate conversions a nifty way to get ICE motors off the road and not waste the rest of a car?

Just learned from a 27-year retiree that a Mitsubishi production line produces a car every 53-seconds.
Rivian I understand is gearing up for a 4-minute unit production rate.
(Maybe that's just to get things started up)?

So if altogether across all brands e-crates could match that rate of conversion it would be the same as adding a new production plant and selling all cars produced.

Have to guess an e-crate conversion will cost much less than a new car in two or three years.

Maybe
Maybe
Maybe
:)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mean, if you had to restore an old car.
What if you began with one already ready?

Also, you can now purchase brand new bodies and trim for cars like 69 and 73 Camaros.

If anyone did want a new resto-mod EV guessing you could start by not listening to naysayers and do it yourself. Guessing again it would be cheaper than the new Cadillac, or that soon enough someone will build one for you and it will cost more than a new Cadillac.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
What if you began with one already ready?

Also, you can now purchase brand new bodies and trim for cars like 69 and 73 Camaros.
Sure. If you have already restored a car, that money is already spent.

If I was going to restore a car, it would not be a GM product, since I never wanted one when it was new (OK. A 1953 Corvette would be nice), but to each their own.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Several years ago at Bloomington Gold there was a very nice '53 or '54 aftermarket kit car on display. It was made by a company from Ohio as I recall.

The present Bolt drive train configuration does not fit in any old school cars so any e-crate package would have to be a lot lower to fit in a trunk to make it rear wheel drive and no idea where the batteries would go, except the former engine bay maybe?

Maybe a Jaguar XJS?
There's one on oodle for $3,500.
(hehe)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Conversions will never be economical until they have something like small solid state modules you can tuck in anywhere and daisy chain them together. Otherwise you're shoehorning in 900 pounds of battery into the trunk of an old Camaro or whatever. But if it's just a sunny Sunday 50-mile classic then it doesn't need any range so that would be much cheaper to engineer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
A battery pack configured to fit in an ICE engine bay and a motor shaped like a transmission, a lightweight driveshaft, alloy pumpkin, and halfshafts would do it?

Here is link to the owner's projects page on the Netgain Motors site.
They have been making automotive EV conversion motors for maybe 20-years?

Customer Projects

A link to a recent Netgain EV VW Bus conversion:
https://jalopnik.com/convert-to-the-beach-life-vw-surf-bus-electrified-1847444691

A e-crate kit from GM and everyone else dumping ICE for new cars would take conversions mainstream and then have something for dealer repair and maintenance shops to do after no one needs an oil change.

If you want more EVs on the road, seems a lot easier in the interim than building new plants and new cars.

Dollar is a dollar, so its the same money and it would save a lot of cars from waste and recycling streams.

Just thinkin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts