Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the “automatic” climate mode the recirculation light is always on, which has worked fine for us. Recently, although the recirculation light remains on, we have begun to noticed outside odors intruding into the cabin (in particular the local diary feed lot). I’ve tried manually turning recirculation off and then on again, but I haven’t noticed any difference. Has anyone else had a similar problem? For information purposes we’ve had our Bolt since March and have about 7,500 miles on it (and we love the car!).

·
Registered
989 Posts
The car is not air tight. You will always get outside odors entering the vehicle
through the HVAC system. Recirculation does not SEAL the car off.
It only restricts the fresh air intake through the HVAC's inlets.

·
Registered
4,811 Posts
The car is not air tight. You will always get outside odors entering the vehicle
through the HVAC system. Recirculation does not SEAL the car off.
It only restricts the fresh air intake through the HVAC's inlets.
Exactly. It's my understanding that the auto makers are required to mix in a small amount of outside air even in recirculating mode. This probably stems from the need to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in ICE vehicles with exhaust leaks, and I would guess that the regs have probably not kept up with EVs.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Exactly. It's my understanding that the auto makers are required to mix in a small amount of outside air even in recirculating mode. This probably stems from the need to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning in ICE vehicles with exhaust leaks, and I would guess that the regs have probably not kept up with EVs.
due to the carbon based occupants, you won't get rid of the internal emissions even with an EV.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something has changed

I appreciate all the input, but as I said in my original post, something has CHANGED. We’ve driven past the local stock yards many times over the last nine months and only in the last couple of weeks did we smell anything inside the car (both my wife and I noticed the change). I switched the recirculation button off and on again several times but it did’t make any difference. I’m going to take our Bolt in for the 7,500 mile service soon and i’ll ask them to check it.

·
Registered
5,429 Posts
Here is a simple test I just did. Pop the hood. Put the fan on high, and hold a tissue near the air intake grate, below the wipers. It will pull the tissue tight to the grate. Now push the recirculate button, and repeat the test. No suction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts