Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wouldn't have expected this to be an issue, but it is!
2018 Premier with dark galvanized interior. Part of the dash is white and much of the time in bright Tucson daylight, the reflection off the white portion of the dash almost completely washes out the view through the outside driver's mirror.
I expect others have encountered the same situation and I'm wondering what creative solutions have been developed.
Haven't tried anything yet, but am considering something that would result in a very flat sheen. Beyond that, I'm not coming up with anything.
Ideas??

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Sadly, @Sean Nelson's advice is one of the things I shopped for when getting the Volt and the Bolt. I tried sitting in them when it was bright out.

·
Registered
858 Posts
I wonder if that plastic stuff... carbon wrap I think it is called?... would work?

Sean I think he has the dark dash but some of it is White. I have it too. Why the **** did they have that I don't know but it looks shi^^y to me. Maybe to show off that Blue night glow?

·
Registered
786 Posts
polarized sunglasses are the easiest thing. otherwise, get one of those carpet dash covers.
i have black dash covers on all my cars, even in my Chevy Equinox with a cream interior. We get 350 days of sunlight every year, and I have seen many imports with cracked dashes (my nephew's Toyota Camry was one). So get the cover even if you have a non-EV!:)

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Sean I think he has the dark dash but some of it is White. I have it too. Why the **** did they have that I don't know but it looks shi^^y to me. Maybe to show off that Blue night glow?
I've never really noticed any of the white trim reflecting in the windshield. There may be some reflections in the corners or off the front quarter windows, but nothing that's really bothered me. Maybe it's a difference in driving position?

·
Registered
624 Posts
i have black dash covers on all my cars, even in my Chevy Equinox with a cream interior. We get 350 days of sunlight every year, and I have seen many imports with cracked dashes (my nephew's Toyota Camry was one). So get the cover even if you have a non-EV!:)
they're so ugly though... i park in the shade whenever i can, and i use a sun shade when i can't. haven't had a cracked dash yet.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I wonder if that plastic stuff... carbon wrap I think it is called?... would work?
Are you referring to vinyl wraps? You can actually vinyl wrap your interior trim if you so desire. Some rough surfaces are doable with vinyl wrap and seeing as it's inside your Bolt, it should last a pretty long time.

You should look into some local shops for an estimate. You can wrap in matte material that doesn't reflect light much. These matte materials include a faux carbon fiber texture. Think of it as wall paper. If you've looking for some Amazon filler material, you can probably get a few feet of wrap to test before committing to a pro shop to custom-cut one for your dash. I'd go the trial route since I'm not sure how out-gassing of the dash material will affect the adhesion of the vinyl wraps. You'll eat the ~$8 cost for testing but at least you can be sure if the out-gassing will affect the adhesion of the vinyl (e.g., bubbles or loose vinyl).

Carbon fiber (looks to have some shiny elements to it):
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Carbon-Fiber-Twill-Weave-Vinyl/dp/B00O36U76E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1525579748&sr=8-4&keywords=carbon+fiber+vinyl+wrap[/ame]

Matte Black:
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/VViViD-Matte-Black-Adhesive-Release/dp/B01CF5VQ0U/ref=sr_1_16?ie=UTF8&qid=1525579768&sr=8-16&keywords=matte+vinyl+wrap[/ame]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
polarized sunglasses are the easiest thing. otherwise, get one of those carpet dash covers.
I always wear polarized sunglasses (it's Tucson) and was given a black dashmat by the dealer (for survey responses), so these things haven't helped. The dashmat, designated for the Bolt, doesn't cover the small part of the dash that is white. The main part of the dash is dark and isn't a concern.
To clarify (as stated in the original post), the reflection is seen in the outside rear view mirror, not in the windshield.
I might try the vinyl in matte finish or just live with it, but it was really discouraging to discover this issue. As a previous poster noted, it is only a small area of the dash that is in white.
Surprising that GM testing in the desert area, didn't flag this and simply leave the entire dash a dark color.
Thanks to posters with suggestions.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Live in the southwest with copious amounts of sun and have the lightest interior color that's offered. Definitely wear polarized sun glasses. Have yet to experience any glare on the driver's side mirror as described. But do adjust the side mirrors outward to remove the potential blind spots. Makes one wonder if that's why I haven't experienced the glare. Seem to recall the optics folks calling this the incidence angle. Maybe the approaching car on the side can't see the driver instead.

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
Well, to my chagrin, I have to report that there is a glare on the side window from the white trim piece in the corner of the dash. The glare doesn't appear on the outside mirror as much as the window which you need to look through to see the mirror.

Polarized glasses didn't seem to reduce the glare. In fact, it seem to be better without the glasses. The reason I didn't noticed it before, is my brain had removed the glare and saw past it to see the traffic in the distance. Only due to this thread, am I now aware of it. Funny how that works.

Have a folding sunscreen, that folds up into about a 1 foot diameter disk. For grins, placed it in the corner of the dash while driving and the glare was removed.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
The reason I didn't noticed it before, is my brain had removed the glare and saw past it to see the traffic in the distance. Only due to this thread, am I now aware of it. Funny how that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, to my chagrin, I have to report that there is a glare on the side window from the white trim piece in the corner of the dash. The glare doesn't appear on the outside mirror as much as the window which you need to look through to see the mirror.

Polarized glasses didn't seem to reduce the glare. In fact, it seem to be better without the glasses. The reason I didn't noticed it before, is my brain had removed the glare and saw past it to see the traffic in the distance. Only due to this thread, am I now aware of it. Funny how that works.

Have a folding sunscreen, that folds up into about a 1 foot diameter disk. For grins, placed it in the corner of the dash while driving and the glare was removed.
As the OP, I wasn't clear about where the glare/reflection was actually occurring.
As XJ12 indicates, it is on the side window in the area you look through to the outside mirror.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Just saw you thread. Have the same problem - also live in Tucson. Maybe if we moved the Phoenix it would go away. :D

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier
3,521 Posts
As the OP, I wasn't clear about where the glare/reflection was actually occurring.
As XJ12 indicates, it is on the side window in the area you look through to the outside mirror.

Meh. Just put your right foot on the floor...then you don't have to worry about vehicles beside or behind you any more. >:)

·
Registered
2018 Bolt LT
114 Posts
Meh. Just put your right foot on the floor...then you don't have to worry about vehicles beside or behind you any more. >:)
Ha! Reminded me of the decals on the mirrors of my old Kawasaki ZX-11: "Objects In The Mirror No Longer Matter".

·
Registered
9 Posts
The chrome strip on the dash of my white 2018 premium Bolt reflects blindingly -- had the same problem with previous car, a white Toyota Avalon. In both cases, a narrow strip of dark blue cloth tape covering the chrome solved the problem.

·
Registered
7,111 Posts
Ha! Reminded me of the decals on the mirrors of my old Kawasaki ZX-11: "Objects In The Mirror No Longer Matter".
My favourite scene in the original Jurrasic Park was the T-Rex chasing the jeep. The driver was looking in the side mirror to see it looming larger and larger, while the caption at the bottom read: "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.