Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2019 Bolt is eligible for battery replacement (status: "Open"), but I am having a hard time finding a Chevrolet dealer in the Philadelphia area keen to perform the work (I bought the car used from a seller in NY state).
I called 6 dealers around me and most aren't able/willing to do it. The best I could get is a tentative: "I'll put you in a list, but we have at least 20 people before you and we'll give priority to people that bought the car from us. It will be probably several months before we can do it.".
Does any of you know of a dealer in the Philadelphia area that is actively doing the battery swaps?

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
95 Posts
If you find out, please let me know. I live just west of Philadelphia, but I purchased my 2020 Bolt brand new, from a dealer in central NJ, about 75 miles away. He had the exact color, and all of the options that I wanted.
I would rather not have to drive the car to Bridgewater, NJ, to get the battery swap.

·
Registered
'17 Bolt Premier
51 Posts
The main dealer to buy and service a Bolt at in Philly metro is Bergey's in Colmar. They told me that they have 7 trained EV techs when I purchased my Bolt earlier this year. They were sitting on a ton of used Bolts when the first stop sale hit. At one point, it seemed like they had more used Bolts than every other tri state dealer combined.

That being said, I haven't had any service yet, so I can't vouch for their service dept. I already have an issue with the blind spot monitoring flaking out, so we'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
95 Posts
Thanks. My nearest dealer is Armen Chevrolet, in Ardmore. They are very small, but have sold some Bolts in the past.
I have over 27,000 miles on my Bolt; and have not had any issues. I take it to Pep Boys for tire rotations ( free) and State Inspections.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The main dealer to buy and service a Bolt at in Philly metro is Bergey's in Colmar. They told me that they have 7 trained EV techs when I purchased my Bolt earlier this year. They were sitting on a ton of used Bolts when the first stop sale hit. At one point, it seemed like they had more used Bolts than every other tri state dealer combined.

That being said, I haven't had any service yet, so I can't vouch for their service dept. I already have an issue with the blind spot monitoring flaking out, so we'll see how that goes.
Bergey told me they need a special forklift or something along these lines and asked to call after Xmas.
Armen Chevrolet is the one that told me to wait in line for an unspecified amount of time, as they are doing their customers first.
Tomorrow I am going to Hessert for the 22500mile service, on the phone they told me they can also do the recall, but I suspect that the person I spoke to did not know what I was talking about, I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been to Hessert Chevrolet. They will order the battery pack and call me when it arrives to do the swap, They may need to keep the car for a couple of days while servicing it.
I had the impression that this is the first Bolt they service for the recall, but the dealer is fairly big, so I hope they'll do it right.

·
Registered
'17 Bolt Premier
51 Posts
Bergey told me they need a special forklift or something along these lines and asked to call after Xmas.
Armen Chevrolet is the one that told me to wait in line for an unspecified amount of time, as they are doing their customers first.
Tomorrow I am going to Hessert for the 22500mile service, on the phone they told me they can also do the recall, but I suspect that the person I spoke to did not know what I was talking about, I'll keep you posted.
That's surprising that they don't have the lift for the battery. I guess they haven't had to do any battery replacements yet.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
95 Posts
I have been to Hessert Chevrolet. They will order the battery pack and call me when it arrives to do the swap, They may need to keep the car for a couple of days while servicing it.
I had the impression that this is the first Bolt they service for the recall, but the dealer is fairly big, so I hope they'll do it right.
Did you purchase your Bolt from Hessert Chevrolet ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hessert Chevrolet called today. They said that a battery has been scheduled for delivery for my vehicle and gave an appointment for January 11th to replace the battery.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
95 Posts
Thanks for the update. Yours is a 2019, so you are higher up on the pecking order than I am ( 2020 ). But I might give them a call. if I do not hear from my selling dealer by early next year.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Final Update. Brought the car to the dealer and got the battery swapped and the car was returned fully charged.
The process was very smooth: everybody I dealt with was friendly and very professional, definitely recommended.
The cars seems to run fine. It shows 275 miles of range, while before I would get 260 at full charge, but probably the battery is still calibrating. I noticed they had a couple cranes of Bolt batteries in the workshop, so I suspect that by now they have done a few swaps.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts