Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Chevy Bolt looks amazing in red and he took a close up shot of the rear view cameras mounted to the trunk lid along with an in depth explanation from the salesman. One thing I did notice is the blue car in front of the red Chevy Bolt which you can see through the front windscreen a few times. Could that be a blue Bolt?

·
Registered
862 Posts
One thing I did notice is the blue car in front of the red Chevy Bolt which you can see through the front windscreen a few times. Could that be a blue Bolt?
No. Taillights are different.

Looks very nice. Lane Keep Assist? Is that similar to Tesla's Autopilot?
Probably the same as used on the Malibu:
Lane Keep Assist Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning: New to Malibu is Lane Keep Assist, which provides gentle steering wheel turns (and Lane Departure alerts if necessary) to help drivers avoid unintentionally drifting out of their lane.

http://media.chevrolet.com/media/us/en/chevrolet/bcportal.html/currentVideoId/4631802883001/pnId/1/typeId/c/currentChannelId/Most%20Recent.html

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to this video, I'm actually leaning more towards the red than the white Chevy Bolt was in those factory production shots. Also, the seats have red stitching to match the outside and I didn't think they'd pay attention to little details like that.

What's that button on the left side of the steering wheel he zoomed in on? The one that looks like one car crashing into another.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Looks like the control for Front Automatic Braking. It works in conjunction with Forward Collision Alert and the warning distance can be set. It's interesting that on all other GM vehicles, it's only available when you have Adaptive Cruise Control, which has been stated as "not available" on the Bolt. Supposedly because they'd need to use "blended braking".

Forward Collision Alert may “see” a crash situation before you do, and can alert when a driver when a crash into a vehicle you are following is imminent. Uses front camera and/or radar. Available on 2015 Volt, Malibu, Impala, Equinox, SS, Traverse, Colorado, Silverado, Tahoe and Suburban.

Other Chevrolet crash-avoidance features include Front Automatic Braking, Adaptive Cruise Control and Lane Departure Warning.

Front Automatic Braking automatically applies the brake when the system may see a crash situation ahead before you do, and can be thought of as a “backup” or “Plan B” if you do not respond quickly to Forward Collision Alert warnings, or if a rear-end crash situation quickly unfolds. At lower speeds, the feature may even help avoid the crash, while at higher speeds, it can reduce crash severity and injury. Uses front radar.

I am very glad to see the heated steering wheel. Makes a big difference when used in conjunction with heated seats to save battery.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ultimately for me it's going to come down to seeing the system tested at various speeds in real life situations since that's where it really matters. At least then we can see what will actually happen and under what specific situations.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My guess is that heated front seats and steering wheel will be standard - maybe an option for the rear seats. Heated seats and steering wheel consume much less power than running the heater - hence they are present on some BEVs - the Leaf has them - for one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
My guess is that heated front seats and steering wheel will be standard - maybe an option for the rear seats. Heated seats and steering wheel consume much less power than running the heater - hence they are present on some BEVs - the Leaf has them - for one.
hmm, i see what you mean. thanks, had not thought of that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like the control for Front Automatic Braking. It works in conjunction with Forward Collision Alert and the warning distance can be set. It's interesting that on all other GM vehicles, it's only available when you have Adaptive Cruise Control, which has been stated as "not available" on the Bolt. Supposedly because they'd need to use "blended braking".
But with the existence of this button, does that mean the Bolt has the potential for Adaptive Cruise Control in the future? I would assume so since it's being used in Chevy's autonomous vehicle research and development. Would be great to have it as an option.

·
Registered
862 Posts
But with the existence of this button, does that mean the Bolt has the potential for Adaptive Cruise Control in the future? I would assume so since it's being used in Chevy's autonomous vehicle research and development. Would be great to have it as an option.
Likely to be available in the future, but unlikely to be available as an upgrade to existing vehicles.

·
Registered
730 Posts
We should even get little things like heated and cooled cup holders, all those little electronics shouldn't be an issue on power since these days systems like that are made to be really efficient, in homes and in cars.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
We can't really expect the very best with the first mass produced and affordable EV to hit the market. That's why you lease instead of buy so you can switch up when a better EV hits the market.

·
Registered
862 Posts
We should even get little things like heated and cooled cup holders...
I'll pass on the gadgetry.

Give me a heat pump, 100 kW fast charging, adaptive cruise control, or something else really useful instead.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'll pass on the gadgetry.

Give me a heat pump, 100 kW fast charging, adaptive cruise control, or something else really useful instead.
you have a point there, that will be of much more value to us than some special cup holder plus things like that can be found as universal after market add-ons anyways.

Just keep an eye out for what they'll want to charge you for faster charging because they'll want to make it a luxury.

·
Registered
730 Posts
As long as its reliable that's what matters to me, don't want something that might have a higher chance at failing since i will be using this day in and day out. But fortunately my vehicles are parked indoors most times. Sucks for those that have to stay parked out doors while at work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
As long as its reliable that's what matters to me, don't want something that might have a higher chance at failing since i will be using this day in and day out. But fortunately my vehicles are parked indoors most times. Sucks for those that have to stay parked out doors while at work.
Heat pump (or lack of one) has nothing to do with reliability. Nor does parking indoors or out.
You will likely have a little less range if parked outdoors in cold weather, but the bigger battery will result in less impact than on 80 mile EV's.

Real world winter performance will likely not be fully tested until next winter. CA & OR don't generally have enough of a winter to be a real test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts