Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scenario: I dont have a home charger so my places to charge my 2017 Bolt LT is either at work (for free) or at DCFC at a local mall. I'm away from work for a few days and I was at 30% soc. Had some free time on my hands so decided to go to the mall and charge. I normally charge the battery to 60-80% when i use the DCFC at the mall (had the battery recall done 3 months ago) Once finished charging I drove out of the parking lot fine, but while i was waiting at one of the street lights I got the "reduced propulsion power" warning and the warning light on the dash turned on. I noticed the regen on "L" mode was not working properly as it was grey when its normally green unless the battery is fully charged.

This is new to me so i drove into another parking lot and turned off the car, waited a few minutes and turned it back on but its the same issue. I went on the forum to see if someone else has this problem but it looks like that warning pops up when the battery is low or when its cold. I'm in southern california and its 85 degrees. The last thing i tried after reading some forums when i got home was the "reboot" by unplugging the 12v battery and plugging it back in. (didnt work) "reduced propulsion" and the warning light is on every time i turn on the car.

I drove around my block and in the street for a bit. The car seems normal. Its just very uncomfortable driving around with the warning light on and seeing the regen not working properly. Any help to this issue would be amazing.

I am trying to avoid going to the dealer. I had a very bad experience during the battery recall and do not want to go back unless there is absolutely no choice.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
235 Posts
Scenario: I dont have a home charger so my places to charge my 2017 Bolt LT is either at work (for free) or at DCFC at a local mall. I'm away from work for a few days and I was at 30% soc. Had some free time on my hands so decided to go to the mall and charge. I normally charge the battery to 60-80% when i use the DCFC at the mall (had the battery recall done 3 months ago) Once finished charging I drove out of the parking lot fine, but while i was waiting at one of the street lights I got the "reduced propulsion power" warning and the warning light on the dash turned on. I noticed the regen on "L" mode was not working properly as it was grey when its normally green unless the battery is fully charged.

This is new to me so i drove into another parking lot and turned off the car, waited a few minutes and turned it back on but its the same issue. I went on the forum to see if someone else has this problem but it looks like that warning pops up when the battery is low or when its cold. I'm in southern california and its 85 degrees. The last thing i tried after reading some forums when i got home was the "reboot" by unplugging the 12v battery and plugging it back in. (didnt work) "reduced propulsion" and the warning light is on every time i turn on the car.

I drove around my block and in the street for a bit. The car seems normal. Its just very uncomfortable driving around with the warning light on and seeing the regen not working properly. Any help to this issue would be amazing.

I am trying to avoid going to the dealer. I had a very bad experience during the battery recall and do not want to go back unless there is absolutely no choice.
:/ sounds like it should be something covered by new battery warranty.

Maybe try a different dealership ? If able ?

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
Check the coolant levels under the hood. Sometimes, the dealership tech doesn't perform the vacuum fill procedure, so air remains in the coolant loop. It doesn't surface until the coolant system runs for a while, sometimes on long trips or during DCFC sessions.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it's P0BBD, there seems to be quite a few of these going around now either from a new battery replacement or a new EUV with the new battery already.
I gave up and called/signed up for on star. The person gave me this code but told me was not sure what the code meant and that i should go to a dealer. Anyone happen to know what this code is?

·
Registered
6,101 Posts
person gave me this code

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
I gave up and called/signed up for on star. The person gave me this code but told me was not sure what the code meant and that i should go to a dealer. Anyone happen to know what this code is?
Let us know the code they gave you.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Not too many details, but I presume it is related to the battery temperature.
Ambient at 85 F is not so bad, yet not too chilly either. If you arrived at 85 F battery core temp and applied DC 50 kW charging, you definitely added heat to it.
Now, started driving (hard to say how you drive). You are in L. But do you like to use all power (I do, many times). That would add more heat, add full regen in L - much more heat.
In the end, the battery may not cooled down enough and warned you about being too hot and limiting the power.

On the other spectrum - I see limited regen on cold battery. I never got to too hot (except one time on DC and a couple of times when charging on L2). When driving - maybe once in my life I noticed AC cooling it.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let us know the code they gave you.
Font Number Parallel Rectangle Pattern

the on star person told me “this is a new code, you’re definitely going to have to take it to the dealership, something is wrong with your battery”

im still not too sure what’s going on. From the other post about this specific code, a person said it happens when accelerator and brake is applied at the same time and causes battery cells to burn out or something.

I was on “L” and was stopped on a steep hill incline traffic light, I started to roll back so I tapped the accelerator just a little to move forward when I got the “reduced propulsion” message and the light turned on.

If this is legitimately the issue. ALL bolt drivers need to be warned of this as this is not uncommon driving situation to be stopped on an incline. GM may have another recall/lawsuit on their hands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Had the exact thing happen, my new battery is bad, its at the dealer now awaiting a replacement, only had the upgraded battery for 3 months
We’re on the same boat. Had the battery replaced 3 months ago as well. Feel like this is costing GM money and reputation.

·
Registered
981 Posts
the on star person told me “this is a new code, you’re definitely going to have to take it to the dealership, something is wrong with your battery”
I laughed on this one.

From the other post about this specific code, a person said it happens when accelerator and brake is applied at the same time and causes battery cells to burn out or something.
Sounds like a big stretch.
Pressing accelerator when in L will cause the "brake" to disengage. Besides, getting uphill should not cause a battery to "burn out".
I bet it is a programming issue, not a real problem.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I laughed on this one.

Pressing accelerator when in L will cause the "brake" to disengage. Besides, getting uphill should not cause a battery to "burn out".
I bet it is a programming issue, not a real problem.
P0BBD is a cell voltage tolerance error generated by the recent diagnostic software. Some have been legitimate, requiring a new battery and some have been software errors (from multiple posts on multiple forums). Either way, GM/LG has a problem.

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
12,205 Posts
P0BBD is a cell voltage tolerance error generated by the recent diagnostic software. Some have been legitimate, requiring a new battery and some have been software errors (from multiple posts on multiple forums). Either way, GM/LG has a problem.
Yup. We will not be getting our new battery until this is sorted out. We have one vehicle, and will not be driving ICE ever again...even temporarily.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Chevrolet Bolt
4,004 Posts
...I bet it is a programming issue, not a real problem.
That makes me think it might be a sensor timing issue. If the computer is polling the cells at a particular interval, and that backwards / slow forward movement is rapidly transitioning between regen and discharge, I could see detection of cell voltages beyond tolerance.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt Premier Cajun Red Tintcoat, Grizzl-E EVSE
242 Posts
There is a big difference between 2017 and 2021, but you might care to read this discussion:

I wonder if you have the updated (limit 80% charge) software? I ask because since I got it, a DCFC charge for me has been to 75%, instead of the previous 80%. But I have no idea why that is so. I suspect that it's to avoid any possible overshoot of 80%, or perhaps to increase turnover at (primarily EA) busy DC chargers.

·
Registered
8,839 Posts
The suspicion from the GM engineering team is that the combination of both pedals being pushed under certain unknown conditions triggers some sort of software glitch that flags the error. They've identified that this code is sometimes raised even though there's nothing wrong with the battery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The suspicion from the GM engineering team is that the combination of both pedals being pushed under certain unknown conditions triggers some sort of software glitch that flags the error. They've identified that this code is sometimes raised even though there's nothing wrong with the battery.
Dropped my car off at the dealership yesterday. The diagnostic guy told me that they are waiting on GM to either give them a software update or tell them to replace the battery. That’s the same as a mechanic telling someone “we either gotta tighten a screw or replace your engine, we’ll let you know” guess they are covering all their bases.

for now the dealership sent me to a 3rd party car Rental place. Set me up with a Nissan Rogue, but I gotta cough up the $6.50 a gallon here in California

1 - 20 of 22 Posts