Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt
164 Posts
I have tried 3 times to get the update done on my 17, they keep telling me as long as my status says remedy not available they cannot install it. This was 3 different dealerships. I even called GM and talked to two different people and they said that they should be able to do it, but GM cannot force them to install the update.
So I guess I will take my chances.
That’s incredibly frustrating. Sorry to hear about that. Yeah, there are still a lot of dealers out there who know diddly squat about EVs 🙄

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got the recall letter to bring in my ‘20 for the 80% software. How many of you are like me and cannot comply with this? In the summer I could complete my 150 mile commute between 90 and 30% as recommended. But now it’s more like 90 to 20 and some days I need a little extra for errands after work. On extra cold days I’m filling to 95 and running it nearly to 15. I’m guessing GM cannot force me to bring it in as long as I “promise” to keep it between 90 and 30 😉
I have no intention of having my charge limit reduced. If the car hasn’t burned in 2 years it probably won’t start now. I continue to run the mileage well below 70 and do a full charge in my garage, it’s the only charger I have. If it burns, it burns - this is why I have lawyers and insurance!

·
Registered
2020 Slate Metallic Bolt LT
65 Posts
I just got the recall letter to bring in my ‘20 for the 80% software. How many of you are like me and cannot comply with this? In the summer I could complete my 150 mile commute between 90 and 30% as recommended. But now it’s more like 90 to 20 and some days I need a little extra for errands after work. On extra cold days I’m filling to 95 and running it nearly to 15. I’m guessing GM cannot force me to bring it in as long as I “promise” to keep it between 90 and 30 😉
I am ignoring the recall letter and charging my Bolt the way I have since the day it was new. No problems, no worries, just trouble-free driving.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Nope

Not wasting my time at the dealer for a software patch

I'll take it in when the full remedy becomes available

·
Premium Member
2018 LT 2020 Premier
5 Posts
I have a 2018 and a 2020 the 2020 is driven 200 to 250 miles everyday the 2018 is driven 175 to 200 miles everyday we do small package deliveries my wife and I so we can't go to 80% I think of the odds are around 1 in 15000 that I will have a fire I can live with that otherwise the car is useless to us. The cars are parked outside but right next to each other as we only have one charging cord so if one goes up they both go are fully insured so we'll see what happens I wish everybody the best of luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I charge and drive what I need too. That’s it period. The problem is GM’s not ours. We bought a product the specs they offered.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dumb question, why are we still required to bring the car to a dealer to do a fw update? I brought my 2017 Bolt in long ago to get a fw update because it was supposed to enable OTA updates.

·
Registered
2021 Chevy Bolt LT
215 Posts
I brought my car in for service today (2021 bolt LT) for the first free service at 8000 miles. I mentioned to the service advisor that I wanted to hold off on doing the software upgrade at this time, until it rolls out a little bit more. He said don’t worry. Didn’t document it anywhere on the receipts. All was good!

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
700 Posts
I got the interim software installed today. I left it overnight, but that was for my convenience. They called about 11AM saying it was done, and I asked him to plug it in, just to make sure it would still charge. When I looked at the app on my phone, I was concerned that it was indicating a problem with the battery. My first thought was, did the software actually detect a battery problem? But I thought more and figured it was simply because the system had been reset with the firmware update. And so far that seems to be correct.

I do have one problem. The update cleared all of my time based charge settings. When I go back into the screen to set the times, that option is greyed out. I seem to recall it was also greyed out the first time I tried to set them, but was eventually able to access the settings. Now I can't seem to find the correct combination of settings to enable access. I reset my home location, and location based charging is enabled. But it's still greyed out. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
10 Posts
I will not get the software fix for similar reasons. If I need to do a high mileage trip, I want to be able to charge my Bolt to 100%

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just contacted dealer that is reviewing our request for them to deliver a loaner to our house, take the POS Bolt for the update, deliver Bolt back to our house, take loaner. GM has totally ignored Bolt owners and we have lost our patience with the so-called repurchase program. Realize this is an inconvenience for the dealer and this mess is not their doing; however GM can start paying up for the months of 1/2 range and charging/parking restrictions.

·
Registered
183 Posts
2019 Bolt. I did not get the 80% recall done. Mostly because I had previously set my charge limit to 80% anyway. I don't drive enough to worry about the range.
Then I got the new battery and afterwards I could not change the 80% to 100%.

Following is my "opinion" and it's worth whatever you think it is:
Because I didn't do the 80% recall, and because the system is controlled by GM (not dealers) the system saw I didn't have the 80% recall and performed it at the same time it performed whatever is done when a new battery is installed. One would think that it would go the next step and undo the 80% limitation but that did not happen. I left the dealer with 80% limit.

When I took it back 6 weeks later to get the 100% reinstated the dealer said I was the 2nd person they had to do this with. And it took nearly all day. There was some sort of issue with GM and apparently a bunch of back & forth with the GM guru's before the dealer's tech could make the 100% stick. I don't know if the dealer had issues or if GM had the wrong procedure associated with my VIN, but the dealer did say that the fix had to be uploaded to them based on my VIN.

So for all you readers who are waiting for a battery but opting out of the 80% recall, when you get your vehicle done, check that charge option screen before pulling out of the dealer's lot. I'm speculating that my above problems are due to not doing the 80% recall. And maybe this has happened enough now that GM has fixed their procedure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel I may need 100% at times, So I will not comply with GMs request. I normally charge to 80%.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Frankly I have no intention of accepting any reduction in charge capacity. I didn’t buy a car that can only be charged to 80%. Will continue to fully charge it and park where I want to.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not bothering with the 80% limit software. I'll have the battery replaced when that's available along with the current software to go with it. I typically self limit to 80%, but I sometimes need the extra 20% for a road trip.
Not complying with “safety” software installs, probably leaves all the legal liability in that rarer event of a battery fire on your shoulders. It’s a risk benefit call.
I chose to do the buyback b/c just having retired, I want to travel and was planning to use my Bolt. It being a 2020, it’ll likely be a long while before I get a new battery and can use the range I bought a 2020 for.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Not complying with “safety” software installs, probably leaves all the legal liability in that rarer event of a battery fire on your shoulders. It’s a risk benefit call.
Pretty dubious "legal liability" advice. GM has chosen not to formally notifiy owners.

For it to be a legal notice, it must be delivered either through registered post or via courier and signed for upon receipt. A legal notice is an important instrument of the law to keep both parties informed and open a channel for mediation. It gives the other party an opportunity to settle any dispute with the complainant and avoid a suit against them.

Legally, we don't know anything about anything and GM intentionally has done it this way.

jack vines

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pretty dubious "legal liability" advice. GM has chosen not to formally notifiy owners.

For it to be a legal notice, it must be delivered either through registered post or via courier and signed for upon receipt. A legal notice is an important instrument of the law to keep both parties informed and open a channel for mediation. It gives the other party an opportunity to settle any dispute with the complainant and avoid a suit against them.

Legally, we don't know anything about anything and GM intentionally has done it this way.

jack vines
Well said. The next fire at this point IMO is game over for the entire Bolt fleet regardless of new pack replacement, 80% S/W limit, or nothing done. I hope that doesn't happen as it would seriously hurt GM and the EV industry. However, I think they are doing the best they can under these circumstances, fingers crossed.

Tomorrow I will be doing a road trip to Mountain High Resort, CA (8000 feet up). It is 90 miles away from my house and my plan is to charge to 100%. The GOM should be around 265 when I start and I'm hoping to do a round trip with no charging. With 80% and the extra elevation, I don't think I'd make it without a DCFC on route. Worst case, there's an EVgo 30 miles away.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
The next fire at this point IMO is game over for the entire Bolt fleet regardless of new pack replacement, 80% S/W limit, or nothing done.
I'm not sure I follow the line of reasoning. Why would it be game over if the next Bolt fire is on a vehicle that has the recalled battery without the new software? Wouldn't that be just the same old song and dance at this point?

41 - 60 of 81 Posts