Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
7,928 Posts
I'm not sure I follow the line of reasoning. Why would it be game over if the next Bolt fire is on a vehicle that has the recalled battery without the new software?
Frankly, I wouldn't even get too excited about a fire on a fully remedied Bolt. One fire is happenstance, you need more than that to establish a pattern that puts the whole fleet at risk.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you consider that a gasoline car is about 60 times (yes, six zero) more likely to catch on fire than a Chevy Bolt, ignoring the software patch recall isn't such a big deal. A hybrid car is about 120 times more likely to catch fire.

I'm ignoring the whole kerfluffle and waiting for my free battery replacement halfway through its service life.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
298 Posts
Most days I drive 100 miles round trip to work. I charge to 90% and get home with 40%-60% (depending on weather). So the 80% limit would not be an issue. BUT twice a month I go visit my wife who is going to school 250 miles away in Galveston. It's a high speed drive with 75 mph speed limits most of the way. My GOM seldom says more than 200 with the heat or air on.

Charging is such that my first DCFC opportunity is 130 miles from my house. If that charger is not available I need to go another 50 miles to the next DCFC. If I leave my house with 100% charge I get to my backup charger with 10-15% charge. If I leave the house with 80% charge and my preferred charger is broken I don't get to Galveston.

So, I don't feel like I can't tolerate the 80% charge limitation until someone builds more fast chargers on I-10.

·
Registered
2020 Kinetic Blue Bolt Premier
59 Posts
It's a high speed drive with 75 mph speed limits most of the way..
One option would be to slow down. You'd likely have a lot more cushion that way. Not saying 50, even 5-10 slower would make a big difference. Might cost you 15-30 minutes of time.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
298 Posts
I tried that on one of the first trips; I limited my speed to 65. Added about half an hour to the trip. It saved very little energy. I'm not sure why. I was running a little heat. Maybe just extra time running the heat. Anyway it was pretty scary, with tractor-trailers flying up behind and getting too close before pulling out to pass. I always feel safest running a couple of miles faster than most of the traffic.

To the topic at hand: if I charge to 100%, I don't have to worry, virtually nothing can go wrong; I can always reach a backup charger or even a third choice. I would never feel that safe if I give up the 20%.

·
Registered
24 Posts
To the topic at hand: if I charge to 100%, I don't have to worry, virtually nothing can go wrong; I can always reach a backup charger or even a third choice. I would never feel that safe if I give up the 20%.
I agree. For my 1st weekend CA mountain trip: charged to 100% (261mi temp = 75), got to mountain parking lot at 49% (90mi - +7000 feet mostly uphill, temp =40), went to Evgo charger 35% (96 mi. -5800 feet mostly downhill temp = 60) charged to 80% (about 205mi) and then to home 65% (185 mi, temp = 60).

I'd say doing this with 80% limit would have been cutting it pretty close.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Needs bringing out Hanlon's Razor:
Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Wow! I knew about Occam's Razor ("...the simplest explanation is usually the best one...") and Hitchen's Razor ("...what can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence...") but until now wasn't aware of Hanlon's. Any other sharp razors we should know about?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I called the concierge line this week, wondering if there is any way to move up in the recall lottery. Told the rep I will be on the road with the Bolt Feb - April. She suggested not getting the 80% update because it would limit my range.

Maybe GM knows a bit more about our batteries than they tell us. She put me on hold for a few minutes while she pulled records on my VIN. I imagine if there were warning signs, she would have advised to get the 80% patch.
So here is my extremely sad and frustrating story: I took my bolt in for it's free maintenance/service visit to the dealer. When I set up the appointment I specifically told them I did not want the software upgrade... I told them twice (Had to call a second time to confirm). She said no problem it was my choice. So drove the 5 hour trip to dealer. Told me the rotating of my tires would take a couple hours... fast forward after 2.5 hrs. I went looking for the rep to see what was taking so long... He tells me the Tech is updating my software... I popped a CORK!! I lost it right there... went into the Service Manager and blew off the steam, tech shows up and says, "I can undo the upgrade or make it think I changed out the modules and it will be just like before). He says will take half hour max. 2 more hours later , He says it can not be undone or messed with. I told them you guys now have basically screwed me over for taking any long trips to anywhere!!! I live in a rural AZ area and some charges are 200+ miles apart. (probably can make it in the summer, but not the winter)
So commuting is fine, but that trip to Idaho to see my brand new Granddaughter is now out. So the moral of this story is... if you take your Bolt into the dealer and they see there is a recall and they have the tech to do it... they won't ask you, they will just do it.
Aye Caramba!!

·
Registered
2019 Premier, US battery
133 Posts
I agree. For my 1st weekend CA mountain trip: charged to 100% (261mi temp = 75), got to mountain parking lot at 49% (90mi - +7000 feet mostly uphill, temp =40), went to Evgo charger 35% (96 mi. -5800 feet mostly downhill temp = 60) charged to 80% (about 205mi) and then to home 65% (185 mi, temp = 60).

I'd say doing this with 80% limit would have been cutting it pretty close.
Heh, that's similar to a trip I did two days ago (in Oregon), after the software update (my wife really pushed for it) - except mines a little shorter and lower.

I left Beaverton at 80%, and drove up to Mt Hood Meadows, 76 miles and 5200 feet higher. The temperature was low 30s the whole way, I used minimal heat. It took 29.5 kWh, averaging about 50 mph (very little interstate, mostly smaller state and US "highways") - this was pretty much the speed of all the traffic. For that segment I averaged about 2.6 miles/kWh.

The temperature was around 40 on the way home. Took the same route and approximate speed, and used only 9.5 kWh to get home, so averaged 8 kWh (!!!) for that segment.

Estimating I had roughly 9 kWh left when I got home (which agreed with 3 bars remaining). The guess-o-meter said I had 40 miles. I was pretty sure I was going to make it with some wiggle room, but this was better than I expected - averaged 3.9 miles/kWh overall.

Interestingly, this was pretty close to what A Better Routeplanner calculated, except it called for a bit less energy used on the uphill, and a bit more on the downhill.

For your trip, I'd have wanted 100% charge...

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
So here is my extremely sad and frustrating story:
He tells me the Tech is updating my software... I popped a CORK!! I lost it right there... went into the Service Manager and blew off the steam, tech shows up and says, "I can undo the upgrade or make it think I changed out the modules and it will be just like before). He says will take half hour max. 2 more hours later , He says it can not be undone or messed with. I told them you guys now have basically screwed me over for taking any long trips to anywhere!!! I live in a rural AZ area and some charges are 200+ miles apart. (probably can make it in the summer, but not the winter)
So commuting is fine, but that trip to Idaho to see my brand new Granddaughter is now out. So the moral of this story is... if you take your Bolt into the dealer and they see there is a recall and they have the tech to do it... they won't ask you, they will just do it.
Aye Caramba!!
If this is a problem and you're willing to get your car bought back, you might consider opening a buyback request now. I can't speak to your state's lemon/consumer protection laws though. What year do you have? How many miles?

If you have a MIK pack '19 or any '17 or '18, you'll likely receive a new pack in the near future anyway. If it's '20+... oh boy.

I'm fortunately in California so my trip from the Bay Area to So Cal (~380 miles each way) was no prob w/my 80% capped Bolt due to PLENTY of DC FCs on highway 99. I drove down using only free DC FCs. My trip back was almost all free too.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
So the moral of this story is... if you take your Bolt into the dealer and they see there is a recall and they have the tech to do it... they won't ask you, they will just do it.
1) That sucks, and that dealer messed up. No other way to say it.
2) Just because it happened one time does NOT mean this is the norm. Recalls get declined every single day at most dealers, and this type of story is pretty rare.
3) Like Bill said, 5 hours of driving to rotate tires? Seems like something that could be done locally.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
As mentioned previously, our 2017 has never been back to the dealer service department for any reason and seeing stories such as this is a reason why. We've avoided the hassles of three software modifications which may have done nothing positive.

Also, many here are in a rush to be first in line for battery replacement. We want to be the last Bolt battery replacement. By then, the techs should be very practiced, the batteries should be as good as they're going to get, the software should be thoroughly debugged and we'll have the longest warranty coverage period possible.

jack vines

·
Registered
295 Posts
If this is a problem and you're willing to get your car bought back, you might consider opening a buyback request now. I can't speak to your state's lemon/consumer protection laws though. What year do you have? How many miles?

If you have a MIK pack '19 or any '17 or '18, you'll likely receive a new pack in the near future anyway. If it's '20+... oh boy.

I'm fortunately in California so my trip from the Bay Area to So Cal (~380 miles each way) was no prob w/my 80% capped Bolt due to PLENTY of DC FCs on highway 99. I drove down using only free DC FCs. My trip back was almost all free too.
I have a 2021 with 18,000 on it. I guess I will call the concierge and see what my options would be, but probably I will just make all my longer trips in an ICE or in warmer weather.
Just Pissed me off they did this...
I hope some of these rural areas get some DCFC stations in the new bill.... Level 2 is just not good for traveling unless you plan to spend the night...
Bo Bolt Nation!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Wait - you drove 5 hours to have your tires rotated? o_O
So it was 180 miles to the dealer first half in 25 degree weather so my first charging station took 70 minutes to charge to 80%... and two accidents later it was 5 hours.... Ugh

·
Registered
295 Posts
1) That sucks, and that dealer messed up. No other way to say it.
2) Just because it happened one time does NOT mean this is the norm. Recalls get declined every single day at most dealers, and this type of story is pretty rare.
3) Like Bill said, 5 hours of driving to rotate tires? Seems like something that could be done locally.
Agree... it was my free service/maintenance check (not just rotate tires)... Oh I wish I could have that day back believe me

·
Registered
295 Posts
So I have noticed since the update... my SOC at 80% is 20-25 higher than before... maybe this is a benny that won't last, but will keep an eye out. I also noticed that it fixed a problem I was having with Android Auto causing my screen to blank out, and the "Batter Flow" video is different now... LOL
Not much to make me happy here... LOL

·
Registered
132 Posts
As mentioned previously, our 2017 has never been back to the dealer service department for any reason and seeing stories such as this is a reason why. We've avoided the hassles of three software modifications which may have done nothing positive.

Also, many here are in a rush to be first in line for battery replacement. We want to be the last Bolt battery replacement. By then, the techs should be very practiced, the batteries should be as good as they're going to get, the software should be thoroughly debugged and we'll have the longest warranty coverage period possible.

jack vines
I am following the exact same plan...no rush.

·
Registered
2020 Kinetic Blue Bolt Premier
59 Posts

jack vines
Being last is optimal for sure. Unless it burns before then. Two different strategies there, some want safety and maybe can't charge outdoors, etc., others want longest warranty.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
298 Posts
I've got a 2021. I've put 30000 miles on it in 8 months. I hope my replacement is delayed until I have about 80000 miles on this battery.

61 - 80 of 81 Posts