Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes I try to use the paddle and nothing happens. Does this happen to anyone else? The owner's manual doesn't say much about it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Sometimes I try to use the paddle and nothing happens. Does this happen to anyone else? The owner's manual doesn't say much about it.
It helps if you don't ask vague questions.
We need to know under what circumstances this happens.
Speed, just after charging, seat belt on or not, ETC. There are lots of things that can cause this.
Most of the time it's because the HVB has been charged and the system deactivates the regen system because the HVB is FULL :nerd:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
On the right of the Driver's Info screen, the kW going out (depleting) or in (regen) is shown. Just after a full charge a thin line appears (only when you ARE "regen-ing") below the icon showing the amount of regen "available". After FULLY charging, this is near-zero. As you use up energy, making room in the battery for more, that line descends until max regen is achieved, then it disappears. It only takes about 3-4 miles of driving (5 minutes?) to use up 1 kWh (@ 4 miles per kWh) to regain good regen capability. If you do not charge to full, you may never notice this. I did not find this until another Forum member pointed it out to me. Then it was clear. Since I nearly always charge to Hilltop Reserve (90% charge) I do not often get to see that regen available building back up. Happy driving!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On the right of the Driver's Info screen, the kW going out (depleting) or in (regen) is shown. Just after a full charge a thin line appears (only when you ARE "regen-ing") below the icon showing the amount of regen "available". After FULLY charging, this is near-zero. As you use up energy, making room in the battery for more, that line descends until max regen is achieved, then it disappears. It only takes about 3-4 miles of driving (5 minutes?) to use up 1 kWh (@ 4 miles per kWh) to regain good regen capability. If you do not charge to full, you may never notice this. I did not find this until another Forum member pointed it out to me. Then it was clear. Since I nearly always charge to Hilltop Reserve (90% charge) I do not often get to see that regen available building back up. Happy driving!
Ahhh, this is the other thing I couldn't find in the owner's manual. Maybe it's in there but I didn't know what to look for. I saw that line today and couldn't figure out how to make it come back after it disappeared.

I keep the Bolt battery topped off so that must be why I see the line frequently and the regen paddle doesn't work sometimes.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I keep the Bolt battery topped off so that must be why I see the line frequently and the regen paddle doesn't work sometimes.
If you don't have to drive long distances very frequently then many folks will tell you that it's a good idea to set the car to "Hilltop Reserve" mode. That leaves extra capacity in the battery for regen, and it's also a little easier on the battery pack and may help to prolong it's life.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts