Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, I had an interesting situation in my 2019 Bolt going down a hill i descend on a daily basis. this time the paddle for the regenerative braking didn't engage at the speed and point on the hill i normally use it. tried shifting into L to slow the vehicle down and nothing doing there either. conventional brakes worked fine to slow the vehicle.

i had finished charging the vehicle to 100% a couple hours before, in anticipation of a long trip the following day. BUT... i had also climbed the same hill between finishing the charge and descending, so it seems there should have been capacity for the battery to take the regenerative input on the descent.

any ideas? maybe they program in a big buffer for regen braking when the battery is close to 100% capacity, thus disabling the regen?

it has happened a few occasions when the battery is not close to capacity, but never a full shut off of regen.... just kind of a lag to engage the regenerative braking through the paddle.

thanks for any insight anyone has

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hilltop reserve mode = 87%, so anything higher than that, your EV may limit regen. After some brake use on the first hills and lose energy to heat, you should then start getting regen again.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Both the remaining battery charge and the battery temperature are factored into limiting the amount of regen. Also, maybe it could be related to the latter but I saw that the regen is limited more right after topping up the charge. If I let the car sit around for a few hours first, it gets better.

·
Registered
917 Posts
If you're not aware of this there's a little regen icon on the dashboard that shows capability, it will be gray when it's limited and turn green when you have full regen ability. Look closely, it has lines showing partial. you can also watch how much regen you get in kilowatts on the right hand side of the display.

·
Registered
511 Posts
wilsonguide, here's a long-shot possibility (it happened to me, and I have a 2019 Bolt). If you use a rubber mat under your feet, if it's in the "wrong" position it can cause you to lose regen. Sounds silly, but that's exactly what happened to me when I removed, cleaned and replaced my floor mat (the type that fits very tightly in place).

Just a thought,

Rich

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for everyone's input... i'm guessing it's probably due to the relatively high level of battery charge. it's the only time i've had this happen. will report back when i charge the vehicle fully again or if i experience something similar.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts