Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had an interesting situation to-day. Dropped my wife off at the supermarket this morning, noticed as she got out and shut the door a several muted chirps from the horn. Thought that’s strange and drove off half a mile down the road to take our dog for a pee at his favorite spot. Parked the Bolt, switched everything off got out, dog did his thing.
Time to move on to the Hardware Store, foot on brake push start button, nothing, tried again, nothing, look at dash telling me no keyfob present. What, I just drove here! Suddenly realized a did not pick up my keyfob when we left home and had only managed to start the car because my wife had hers in her purse, keyfob exited when I dropped her off.
Horror, cannot start car or lock it. Call my wife, tell her I’m stuck, only option, leave dog in car jog to Supermarket, pick up her key fob, jog back to Bolt start it and drive back to Supermarket. Then it dawns on me, those several chirps when my wife got out must have been a warning that the keyfob had left the vehicle, did not notice any other warning, Bolt is still running and I drive off completely unaware that if I switch the car off I cannot restart it.
Fortunately I only went half a mile, so could easily jog back to pick up the keyfob, but if I had driven further to my next stop it could have been a disaster.
So beware, the Bolt does not care if the keyfob leaves the vehicle while it is running, it will let you drive on with impunity until you stop it, then it will bite you!
Lesson learned.
Tobyjug

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thanks for the warning. This must be your first keyless entry/ignition car? This will happen with any keyless ignition car, not just EVs. So if you ever get carjacked, just jump out of the car and run as fast as you can and tell them to take it because as soon as they turn off the car and then try to restart it, the police will be there by then, LOL.
I always keep my key fob on my person in my pant’s pocket. There should be no reason to have to take it out of your pant’s pocket, unless you need to wash them, LOL.

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I have almost the opposite problem. If you stop, put the car into park, put the parking brake on, turn the car off and then open and close the drivers door without exiting the vehicle the car will do the three-chirp thing to warn you that you left the fob in the car. The problem is that it also does that if only the passenger door is opened. I find it annoying, because I often stop the car and stay in the car while my passenger gets out and goes around to the back to get stuff from the hatch.

·
Registered
625 Posts
It must have some "learning" algorithm because every morning I back out of the garage and have to get out of the car (with the FOB in my pocket) to close the garage door. No, I don't have an automatic door opener.

The car would chirp at me when I closed the car door to go close the garage door, but then after a while of doing it every morning (not sure how long), it stopped chirping at me. Then one day, after closing the garage door and getting back in the car, I realized I had left something in the house. With the car running, I got out with the FOB in my pocket and started to walk to the front door, and the car chirped at me! After not chirping 20 seconds earlier when I got out to close the garage door.

Could there be some "learning" routine here? I thought that it just stopped chirping at me because I did this every day, but that seems to not be the case.

·
Registered
315 Posts
When I get out to check the mail box, I leave the door open so it won't beep at me.
I might give that a try.

I also get the chirps when I stop at the bottom of my driveway, I get them again when I park in the garage, with the key off and the fob in my pocket.

I think this thing is chirp happy.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
It must have some "learning" algorithm because every morning I back out of the garage and have to get out of the car (with the FOB in my pocket) to close the garage door. No, I don't have an automatic door opener.

The car would chirp at me when I closed the car door to go close the garage door, but then after a while of doing it every morning (not sure how long), it stopped chirping at me. Then one day, after closing the garage door and getting back in the car, I realized I had left something in the house. With the car running, I got out with the FOB in my pocket and started to walk to the front door, and the car chirped at me! After not chirping 20 seconds earlier when I got out to close the garage door.

Could there be some "learning" routine here? I thought that it just stopped chirping at me because I did this every day, but that seems to not be the case.
Interesting thought. Maybe this whole "learning" process you speak of is somehow related to the keyfob's proximity to your Bolt? How far were you from the car when it chirped at you as you were walking to your front door? Was it further than your typical walk to close your garage door? Just curious.

As an aside, the few times this has happened to me, it was when I was still in the vehicle, turned off, opened the door a smidge, then closed again. The dash display actually had a message telling me that the keyfob was left in the vehicle, together with the aforementioned chirping. Weird thing is, if I had actually left the vehicle and left the keys in, who would have seen that message? Kinda like the tree falling in the forest...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Interesting thought. Maybe this whole "learning" process you speak of is somehow related to the keyfob's proximity to your Bolt? How far were you from the car when it chirped at you as you were walking to your front door? Was it further than your typical walk to close your garage door? Just curious.
Not far, right when I got out and closed the door a second time.

My guess is that, if it did "learn" my habits, it allowed for the door to be opened once and not chirp, but as soon as I did it a second time it alarmed me.

Would be easy enough to test, just hadn't thought about it.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Not far, right when I got out and closed the door a second time.

My guess is that, if it did "learn" my habits, it allowed for the door to be opened once and not chirp, but as soon as I did it a second time it alarmed me.

Would be easy enough to test, just hadn't thought about it.
Pretty sure distance is a factor. I walk a ways to my mailbox. If I close my door and start walking it will triple beep after a certain distance. Leaving the door open keeps it from doing it. We would be giving the car too much credit. Doubt it learns anything. It just does what it's programmed to do. But RF devices and reception is variable enough to give you the impression that it's changing it's behavior.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Pretty sure distance is a factor. I walk a ways to my mailbox. If I close my door and start walking it will triple beep after a certain distance. Leaving the door open keeps it from doing it. We would be giving the car too much credit. Doubt it learns anything. It just does what it's programmed to do. But RF devices and reception is variable enough to give you the impression that it's changing it's behavior.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, maybe I'll test it one day.

·
Registered
6,064 Posts
I setup a car shuttle for a rafting trip once, leaving my car at the take-out. Trouble is, I left my keys at the put-in spot 7 miles up the road. While everyone ate pizza and drank beer, I jogged 7 miles uphill in the blazing heat to the put-in car.

At least the Bolt chirps when you're about to do something stupid. If only life had a similar warning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the warning. This must be your first keyless entry/ignition car? This will happen with any keyless ignition car, not just EVs. So if you ever get carjacked, just jump out of the car and run as fast as you can and tell them to take it because as soon as they turn off the car and then try to restart it, the police will be there by then, LOL.
I always keep my key fob on my person in my pant’s pocket. There should be no reason to have to take it out of your pant’s pocket, unless you need to wash them, LOL.
Actually I have had two keyless start cars, guess I have just been lucky in that I have never forgotten my Keyfob before. Just checked out my 15 Jeep Grand Cherokee and yes you are correct it let me get out while running , so I put the keyfob back in the house, got back in the Jeep and drove off. Difference was it sounded a warning every 30 seconds or so and flashed up on the dash that there was no keyfob in the car, you could not possibly miss it. The Bolt just gave several anemic chirps when the keyfob left the vehicle, but gave no further warning after driving off, until you stoped and attempted to restart it.
A Jeep like warning system would be nice.
Tobyjug

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.