Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone successfully removed the OEM tool storage tray under the cargo area floor? It’s fairly useless unless you have the OEM emergency tools. I’d like to remove it in one piece and store it in case I need it for resale in the future. Right now, I’d prefer to have the additional storage space.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Has anyone successfully removed the OEM tool storage tray under the cargo area floor? It’s fairly useless unless you have the OEM emergency tools. I’d like to remove it in one piece and store it in case I need it for resale in the future. Right now, I’d prefer to have the additional storage space.
i took mine out three years ago. there is a big black wing nut/knob in there that holds it in. Unscrew that and it's out...15 seconds max.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Chevy cruise 16" Spare tire in mine with a little Persuasion (hammer) got a jack and a lug wrench not sitting for a tow truck or trying to air up a hole had 1 flat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I‘d very carefully stowed the charger away in its assigned position and didn’t see the wingnut. I was expecting to find that the foam had been glued down. Is there a doughnut spare tire that fits in that hole?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Thanks. I‘d very carefully stowed the charger away in its assigned position and didn’t see the wingnut. I was expecting to find that the foam had been glued down. Is there a doughnut spare tire that fits in that hole?
Somebody let the air out of one, and it just fit. For the life of me, I don't understand why they didn't make the well big enough for a full size spare. It would have cost them absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Admittedly, I’ve only used a spare once in the last 20 years. However, I feel like I’m going out naked without having one available.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Admittedly, I’ve only used a spare once in the last 20 years. However, I feel like I’m going out naked without having one available.
There are 13 pages of people's solutions in this one thread alone.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. I’ve been reading through them. I just got a 2017 Bolt about 2 weeks ago and I’m still learning about it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a Chevy cruise 16" Spare tire in mine with a little Persuasion (hammer) got a jack and a lug wrench not sitting for a tow truck or trying to air up a hole had 1 flat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks good. I’m still thinking about the necessity of a spare. Since I will use the Bolt primarily around town, I will generally be close to repair services. Out here (southern AZ), a donut spare is of marginal value because of the distances between services out on the highway. The one time I used the spare in my van, I was 75 miles by interstate from home. I used the spare to get to an auto parts store since there were no services available (everything is closed on a Sunday). I plugged the tire, inflated it, and put it back on to get home.

For now, I’ve bought a jack, lug wrench, tire repair kit, and an air pump so I can take care of a problem if the self-sealing tires can’t handle it. Of course, this assumes that the tire is repairable.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I took mine out and stored some tools underneath, then replaced it since the tools didn't interfere with the fit and it gives some support to the rear "floor"

·
Registered
83 Posts
The 115/70R16 spare tire is substantially smaller in overall diameter than the 215/50R17 OEM tires on the Bolt. 3.125" dia., or think of it as 1.5625" less ground clearance on the corner with the spare mounted. The spare I got for mine is 135/90R16 which is within 1/16" of the overall diameter of the standard tires. Unfortunately, a spare that size will NOT fit in the lower well and has to sit between the floor and the false floor.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i took mine out three years ago. there is a big black wing nut/knob in there that holds it in. Unscrew that and it's out...15 seconds max.
Interesting. There was nothing that fastened the foam in place on my Bolt EV. I just... lifted the whole thing up and it came out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I took mine out and stored some tools underneath, then replaced it since the tools didn't interfere with the fit and it gives some support to the rear "floor"
That’s what I’m thinking of doing. It’s a better use of the space.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Odd. Is there a 10 mm female threaded boss in the bottom of the well?
Yep. Now that you mention it, I also see a hole on the foam that's supposed to use that. It's just that there's no wingnut or anything that goes through the hole. Another fine GM cost-cutting measure?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts